+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Reminiscing Moments in ICT in General; Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster Since this is the old gits thread, I expect that someone here might be able to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Since this is the old gits thread, I expect that someone here might be able to help me work out what computer my school had.
    This was in the early 1990s. One room had RM Nimboids, the other had a computer that I can't identify. The keyboard was built in to the computer, BBC B style. It was a black solid metal case with black typewriter keys. I remember thinking what a bag-o-shite it was even then because it could do almost nothing. I've not got much more to go on than that at the moment. Any suggestions what it might have been?
    Hmm Texas TI 99 4/a?
    Texas Instruments TI-99/4A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Memotech MTX?
    Memotech MTX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps one of the MSX range?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 15th March 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Nice try, but it's none of those. The case definitely looks more like this:

Commodore Educator 64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The case was black metal, the key styles and locations, including the four grey function keys, were the same, but it had a separate colour screen.

Thank Post
    My ex boss still uses one of the yamaha msx cx5m music computers in his home studio, for times when only the finest 8bit plink plonky synth will do!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    My ex boss still uses one of the yamaha msx cx5m music computers in his home studio, for times when only the finest 8bit plink plonky synth will do!
    actually some old 8 bit music still works turrican 2's soundtrack still sounds good now

Thank Post
    never said it was a bad thing! I still hear things that i can recognise as being played on a Casio VL Tone, in the right hands anything can sound good!

Thank Post
    Writing a .bat file in college, so the annoying lads pc next to me would shutdown whenever he hit a certain key!! Was hilarious at the time, even the techie couldnt figure out why, they presumed it was a mobo problem!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I remember working in my old school, We had Windows NT Servers - When I started it just so happened that one of the servers went down and the network manager handed me 15 floppy disks and his words where "Crack on with that", I also remember getting to disk 8 or something and the server quite happily said "NO"! So I had to start all over again!!!!! That took me all day to get up & running again, that was an old RM BaseAX Server running NT 4, the server was a BDC so it wasn't critical or anything

Then about 6 weeks later we upgraded to Windows 2000 Server...... More joyous events!

Thank Post
    I think this is a good time to mention Hey Hey 16K

Hey hey 16k - YouTube

Thank Post
    Ahhh, sweet ICT-based nostalgia!

Furthest back I can rememeber was being about 3 years old when my parents bought me a Spectrum ZX+. Playing games off of tapes which took longer to load than I'd spend playing, watching the graphics brought in line-by-line.

8-inch floppy disks being used while I was at primary school to load simple games onto the 1 Acorn machine that we had per year group!

Being given a 3.5" floppy disk to save all my ICT work to during my GCSE years!

Work-related, when I started here 5 years ago there were only 2 servers; one for the upper school (y3 to Y6) and one for lower (foundation stage to Y2). Both were nothing more than DNS's allowing the lookup zones to allow the proxy settings to work; every piece of IT kit was on a static IP address, there were two stand-alone PC's in the staffroom that everyone had to use to print to the 1 printer the school had.

Clearing out the ICT suite cupboards on my first day and finding a couple of old dot-matrix printers, some "Control" devices that were never unboxed, 30-odd Windows XP Home edition disks and 20-odd wireless cards that were never installed (or needed).

Thank Post
    Laserdisc Players and the Domesday Project..'86ish? Memory of being ushered in to see this tech marvel, watching teachers handle these space-age looking disks with cotton gloves, lots of nerves and "now, how did this work again?", and the highest level of care I think I've ever seen of any equipment...which, given it's then cost, I can now understand..heh.

I remember thinking at age 9, "that'll never catch on...". Oh look, it didn't. Mind you, we had a BetaMax toploader at home that you had to weigh down with tapes to use, as it was in a state of continual eject. BetaMax/VHS wars..haha! SP/LP recording duration extension on VHS machines...again, magic at the time..PLUScodes for setting recordings..oh dear, oh dear me...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh the treat of the AV lessons! Herded in to the hall to sit in front of the one (and only) TV in the school and 'shooting the dots'* during the countdown before the programme started.

* remember the dots?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    Im 25 and know most of this .

I think doom was installed as standard on most networks. Maybe by the techys lol ?

Any one remember RM NETWORKS ?? Jesus i wonder if there still around lol !!!

Back in my rebel days of computing .

I still remember putting the end of matches onto a floppy disk with nail varnish , putting it in the floopy drive and turn the PC off . Waiting for the next person to turn the machine on for a little fire
    ( stupid now i look back at it as i imagine i could have killed some one)

Also the time i installed a RM username logger , it basically replaced the login prompt for a fake one and logged every ones information . I didnt think it had worked untill the NM called me in a week later and told me it had logged 2 pages of usernames and passwords ! lol
    I started out on the RM Connect 2.x networks I remember reloading one of the NT servers with 15 floppies.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I started out on the RM Connect 2.x networks...
    My first job in education was on an RM Connect network [Curriculum] and a separate admin network which I think had O/S2 as the server O/S [or was that the back end of Connect in the early days? So long ago now I can't remember] Can anyone confirm this?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK, earliest-time-you-used-a-computer competition.

This will be beaten, I'm sure, but to start off, mine was 1980 and a Commodore PET which was brand new to the school. I think I played an adventure called "Nightmare Park", though it's a bit hazy.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 28th March 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    OK, earliest-time-you-used-a-computer competition.
    Not the first time I used a computer but I did use some pretty old technology at college: Pr1me mainframe with dumb terminals [as advertised by Tom Baker in character as The Doctor]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast