+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Royal Mail Fail in General; No wonder Royal Mail are suffering. On Thursday evening, I ordered a few things from Buy Japanese Food | Japan ...

Thank Post

Royal Mail Fail

No wonder Royal Mail are suffering. On Thursday evening, I ordered a few things from Buy Japanese Food | Japan Centre and there were loads of delivery options available.

Royal Mails standard 3-5 business day delivery option (with no online tracking) was double the cost of the Next Business Day delivery courier option with online tracking! Was also glad to see they are not using Yodel as their courier option either!

Thank Post
    Wow, that's a bit counterintuitive. I wonder why they would have such a price differentiation like that.

Thank Post
    So you got your Daiso Lube Sheep for the weekend?

(yes, link is SFW).

4. Thanks to pete from:

Rawns (13th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I like the fact you can only track your parcel once it's been delivered, yet every other courier lets you know where it is in the system before it's been delivered...

So as soon as you sign for it, a few hours later you can logon online again just to check it's been delivered. Absolutely wonderful.

It's no wonder they're not making a profit. Internet sales are rising every year, yet Royal Mail continue to make less money every year.
    Last edited by Michael; 12th March 2012 at 07:39 PM.

6. Thanks to Michael from:

Rawns (13th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't necessarily blame Royal Mail. They've been trying for over a decade now to modernise. It took them multiple years for staff to accept electronic devices for signing rather than bits of paper. Their workforce is one of the most militant in the country, so every tiny little change ends up with them all outside striking.

I'm surprised they haven't simply gone bust already because of it.

8. Thanks to localzuk from:

Rawns (13th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    ends up with them all outside striking.
    Which should end up with them all being fired...

Going on strike is a last resort. And isn't appropriate for things like this/that/the-other.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post

Going on strike is a last resort. And isn't appropriate for things like this/that/the-other.
    Except firing people for striking, a legal right, is an absolute minefield.

Just another case of a union only thinking short-term and acting in a knee-jerk fashion instead of considering the long term viability of the company (and therefore their employment) as a whole. Railway staff are good at that, too. I enjoyed Bob Crow predicting melt down across the country when they roll the Oyster card out nationally, despite the fact it's worked fine for years in London. Most train staff are probably better paid than I am as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post

Preaching to the choir. There has to come a point when the company says 'enough is enough'. Much like BA with their flight crew getting paid the highest in the industry, yet complaining when BA wants to change the conditions for new staff and reduce the number of them on each flight. The company wasn't doing well, and the staff going on strike made it worse. What's better? The company adjusting so that it can survive, and you have jobs, or the company sticking to old ways and collapsing, causing you all to get laid off...

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post

Just another case of a union only thinking short-term and acting in a knee-jerk fashion instead of considering the long term viability of the company (and therefore their employment) as a whole. Railway staff are good at that, too. I enjoyed Bob Crow predicting melt down across the country when they roll the Oyster card out nationally, despite the fact it's worked fine for years in London. Most train staff are probably better paid than I am as well.

Don't get me started on the railways. The unions have far too much power there, and the drivers get paid far too much - especially in London. The DLR is fully automated, yet they have 'captains' (as calling them a driver would be dumb), paid a minimum of £36k a year...
    Last edited by localzuk; 13th March 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, yeah, I get that.

But striking every 5 minutes over proposed changes [which would make things easier, faster and cheaper] is really stupid.

And these people SHOULD be fired for disrupting the workplace with their asshattery. And possibly sterilized as well, for good measure.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread