+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Birthday present ideas for the OH in General; Hiya, My fella is 30 in May so am trying to think of a good pressie for him. The idea ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Birthday present ideas for the OH

Hiya,

My fella is 30 in May so am trying to think of a good pressie for him.

The idea im currently toying with is some sort of car experience. Ive been looking at the ones where you get to do some laps in an epic car, has anyone done one of those? Any good?

Also is there any sort of rally thing joe public can do or is that just to risky so they dont? Dunno if you saw Top Gear last night but he said the rally bit would be "awesome".

Anyone been go-karting? Is that any good?

We live in Brum and i dont drive so dont want him to have to drive for miles.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts

Thank Post
    Hi,

I can recommend the car driving experiences, I was bought one last year for my birthday ... had the choice of 4 cars. I chose the Aston Martin DB9. Dad brought one for himself as well so that we could both go together!

It was brilliant, got a nice photo and an in car video recording as well.

I really really recommend it!! The company that provided the experience was Driving Experiences, Driving Experience although the company that it was purchased from was Experience Days, Gift Experiences, Experience Gifts | Activity Superstore which have a much wider choice!

Cheers
    Tom

Thank Post
    Go Kart exeriences are sometimes on offer at Groupon Deals, sometimes from 15 per person, but you do pay for what you get (higher cost, more time/laps, bigger/better premises).

Rally/Driving experiences are available at numerous places:
    Driving Experience Days | Driving Days | Experiences | Treatme.net
    Unforgettable Experience Days & Gifts | Red Letter Days

There are usually discount vouchers available:
    HotUKDeals - Deals, Discounts & Voucher Codes

As well as additional cash back:
    Top CashBack Official Site - The UK's #1 CashBack Site
    Quidco - The UK's No.1 Cashback & Voucher Codes Site

You will find that the driving/rally experiences won't be on the same level as shown on Top Gear, they may be limited to a short period of time and/laps, so you may have to contact local rally schools for further information.
    Stafford cover alot of the driving experiences, and offer discount incentives if you get there by train (free collection to/from station) and money off vouchers (used towards photos, video etc).
    You could even end up ordering a couple of various (driving) experiences if you find a good price, combined with a discount code and cashback.

For example, there is a 10 discount code for Treatme, and 16% cashback with Topcashback!
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 12th March 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've done both the Rally Driving Experience, and the Supercar Experience at Silverstone....

Although BOTH were fantastic, you only actually get a short amount of time in the cars.

The rally driving is about 6 laps of a short course, in 2x3 lap stints. The supercar is a 3 lap stint on about half the track.

I was lucky, as on my day, we were using the main start/finish straight......and there's nothing quite like barrelling down the home straight at 160mph, and braking into the first corner in a Ferrari 458! However, there's also nothing like coming out of the pits....and spinning it on the first corner at 90mph!!!!

In my honest opinion...they are a LOT of money for what you get.....and I really can't decide if it's great value! (Both were presents from my ex!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got the Silverstone racing thing for both my Dad and Dad-in-Law and whilst they both loved it, it is a short experience in the end... you only do three laps, one of which is your out lap, one is your in lap, so only one full, flying lap, and of course the point is to go as fast as bloody possible so you're actively shortening your time in the car. However, they did both bloody love it, the grins on their faces when they came out were well worth the money and the drive down

Rallying and 4x4 (or tank experiences) can be had at plenty of other places, and probably cheaper, but Silverstone is about the only one to offer the supershiny racing cars from what I found.

Alternative: flying lesson/a go in a glider, if you have airfields near you.

Thank Post
    If you live in Brum you have Birmingham Wheels on your doorstep .... I have done loads of cool driving in the past there including mini racing (stock cars) etc .... this was some years ago now though but worth checking none the less. I have also done the DB9 thing as already mentioned, which is awesome but expensive!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,420 Posts
    You could do the Lotus one at Hethel:

Lotus Experience | Lotus Driving Academy

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Got the Silverstone racing thing for both my Dad and Dad-in-Law and whilst they both loved it, it is a short experience in the end... you only do three laps, one of which is your out lap, one is your in lap, so only one full, flying lap, and of course the point is to go as fast as bloody possible so you're actively shortening your time in the car. However, they did both bloody love it, the grins on their faces when they came out were well worth the money and the drive down

Rallying and 4x4 (or tank experiences) can be had at plenty of other places, and probably cheaper, but Silverstone is about the only one to offer the supershiny racing cars from what I found.

Alternative: flying lesson/a go in a glider, if you have airfields near you.
    Have done this as well.... Fantastic experience, and it lasts an hour! If you're lucky (as I was) the pilot will let you take off, fly as much as you like, or just sit there looking all around, and land!

I flew from Southend airport down to the Thames, passed over Thurrock Shopping centre, then up the A12 to circle directly above where I lived at the time (Brentwood), then onto Colchester before returning to Southend. I had booked for a 2 seater Cessna, but when I arrived with lots of family in tow, they upgraded me to a 4 seater so I could take my brother and brother-in-law too!

I would deffo recommend that too!

Thank Post
    go karting is good fun (just dont do too long in 1 stint as it can be exhausting)
    also worth looking at skid pan courses did one of them years ago and that was good fun sliding the back end of a car round on oily wet tarmac trying to hit cones with the rear bumper lol and iirc cheap. My main problem with the drive an aston days is that you then have to drive home in your own car wishing you could afford something better lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    If you live in Brum you have Birmingham Wheels on your doorstep .... I have done loads of cool driving in the past there including mini racing (stock cars) etc .... this was some years ago now though but worth checking none the less. I have also done the DB9 thing as already mentioned, which is awesome but expensive!
    Been there on and off for the last 10(ish) years, it's a quality set-up if you decide on karting

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I've done those Car Experiences and Have to say at 40 trip to a go karting center is more fun/exciting. I did one at Thruxton and would do Go Karting over that again

might be just me through!

Thank Post
    wife took me centreparcs for my 30th - can recommend that!

Thank Post
    Jeez...........I can't remember my 30th.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Flying a plane is quite good, you could also look at a stunt driving course which are usually a half day and could be really fun.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast