+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Cracked windscreen in General; My girlfriend drove to work this morning as normal, but windscreen got hit by a stone en route - massive ...

Thank Post

Cracked windscreen

My girlfriend drove to work this morning as normal, but windscreen got hit by a stone en route - massive crack (2 actually). In the lower part of the windscreen on the passengers side. Picture:

Cracked windscreen-imag0018_1331285235922.jpg

Luckily she works opposite Autoglass so she took it there and they said it's safe to drive and no chance of it shattering?! Was quite surprised. Obviously I will get it sorted but need to talk to insurance, just wondered if it is indeed safe? Also I assume it's not strictly legal to drive around with a massive crack anyway? It is out of the drivers view and very low down

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was told this back in December - apparently a sheet of laminate covers the screen to stop it breaking, and (so I was told) there hasn't been a windscreen shatter in about 40 years. It is unnerving when you can see it slowly growing larger though!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully her insurance will cover it as most policies allow for a new screen each year. I had some small cracks fixed by Autoglass last summer on my insurance, but I had to pay a whole £15 excess! Unfortunately the cracks that the screen companies can fix are not as big as I think they would like to make out in the ads with a maximum length of (IIRC) about 6cms. After that it's a new screen. No harm in ringing to check though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    My insurance charges £10 excess for repair and £75 excess for replacement.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guide I was always given was area of a 5p piece for repair, maximum. Get loads of stone chips here especially in the dry months - my old insurer wanted £10 per repair though (Direct Line) so I soon ditched those for someone decent.

Thank Post
    Not seen it in person yet but judging by the size I don't think it's repairable!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Modern screens are laminated i.e made up of multiple sheets so they hold together.

Ben

Thank Post
    definatly not repairable, based on - MOT Windscreen Repairs | Windscreen Repair Not Replacement - Glass Doctors UK wouldn't get through the MOT

I'd guess its not strictly legal but as long as its not in the drivers field of view I doubt you'd have much trouble, I drove around with a crack going along most of the window around 2cm from the bottom for a few months(kept forgetting eek!) without any trouble

Thank Post
    Same experience - watched the crack grow as I drove along M6 before I could stop safely to check. Insurance covered less the excess. I was foolish enough to ask what the cost would have been had I paid myself - the guy on the phone started saying "seven hund....." before I stopped him and went for the insurance option. In Autoglass I watched a Mercedes driver being quoted £900+ for a non-Mercedes part and a genuine Merc screen into 4 figures. Ouch.

Thank Post
    I have had similar in the past, I was lucky enough to find a window screen company as I wasnt insured for this It was going into the £600 range from autoglass, £80 I ended up paying

Thank Post
    Thast's definately not repairable, it will need to be replaced. It's true though, it won't shatter. It's ilegal if it's in the sweep of the wipers, I think. But even then, there are some rules that say it has to be withing a certain 2/3 of the sweep of the wipers, starting at the drivers side, or something peculiar.

Chances are, just get it replaced soon as

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread