+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Glasgow Rangers: Your views.. in General; Well the news doesn't look to good for them, and by the sounds of things there are many clubs in ...

Thank Post

Glasgow Rangers: Your views..

Well the news doesn't look to good for them, and by the sounds of things there are many clubs in other divisions throughout the UK leagues in the same boat.

What do you reckon, can these teams survive or best to put out to grass?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IMO......

I'm prepared to get shot down over this one, but for me, it has to be...

Let them go to the wall.

Harsh, I know, but these are my reasons. For too many years now football has lived in it's own bubble. Player wages have spiralled, foreign players make (almost) the majority in the league and football has moved away from it's working class background. It is now £35 a ticket, at least, to go see QPR....and yet only 4 years ago, we were on the verge of bankruptcy. No one cried for us, and yet the fans were there at every game with the buckets out. This had been an ongoing situation for 5 years+. Had Tango&Cash not bought us, we would have gone.

Rangers will be reformed as AFC Rangers and have to start from the bottom again....but probably with crowds of 30,000+ in the Highland Leagues. This may be a disaster for Scottish football as Celtic would have little in the way of competition, but it does NEED a big club to go under for the authorities to see the folly of the modern game.

I see players earning huge wages for sitting on a bench for 90 mins. They will earn more in a year than I will earn in a lifetime..... Was that ever the case before?

Let Rangers go.... Sorry to say that, but I will shed no tears for them.

3. 3 Thanks to aerospacemango:

bodminman (9th March 2012), gmj (9th March 2012), RabbieBurns (9th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    IMO......

I'm prepared to get shot down over this one, but for me, it has to be...

Let them go to the wall.

Harsh, I know, but these are my reasons. For too many years now football has lived in it's own bubble. Player wages have spiralled, foreign players make (almost) the majority in the league and football has moved away from it's working class background. It is now £35 a ticket, at least, to go see QPR....and yet only 4 years ago, we were on the verge of bankruptcy. No one cried for us, and yet the fans were there at every game with the buckets out. This had been an ongoing situation for 5 years+. Had Tango&Cash not bought us, we would have gone.

Rangers will be reformed as AFC Rangers and have to start from the bottom again....but probably with crowds of 30,000+ in the Highland Leagues. This may be a disaster for Scottish football as Celtic would have little in the way of competition, but it does NEED a big club to go under for the authorities to see the folly of the modern game.

I see players earning huge wages for sitting on a bench for 90 mins. They will earn more in a year than I will earn in a lifetime..... Was that ever the case before?

Let Rangers go.... Sorry to say that, but I will shed no tears for them.
    As a hibs fan, i've had little time for both the "old firm" sides, but I had a little sympathy for the Gers, until it was announced today that most of the high earning players have refused the 75% pay cut. If this is the defacto standard attitude from all payers in all teams, then I agree with you let them go to the wall.

5. Thanks to andyturpie from:

RabbieBurns (9th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    They should just merge with Celtic

7. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

RabbieBurns (9th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    They should just merge with Celtic
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Thank Post
    1991 Wallace mercer tried merging Hearts and Hibs, which resulted in the hands off Hibs campaign (fronted by the proclaimers and Blue Peter's John Leslie). There was some tasty scenes at the Edinburgh derbys back then lol.
    Last edited by andyturpie; 8th March 2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: mistype

Thank Post
    I dont agree with all this "They need to big clubs" it was the greed of these two clubs, (and many many more in england and europe) that caused this problem. If they go out of business, yes celtic may have and easier time of itfor a while, but as there will be less money from tv due to there not being old firm clashes, celtic will in turn have to reduce there wage bill. This will lead to teams that have managed and worked on lower revenues to compete alot better and should therefore create a more open league.

Yes there may not be the same highlevel of players or "star" names, but i would prefer to see teams competing instead of a few running away...
    Last edited by Timetable; 8th March 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    1991 Wallace mercer tried merging Hearts and Hibs, which resulted in the hands off Hibs campaign (fronted by the proclaimers and Blue Peter's John Leslie). There was some tasty scenes at the Edinburgh derbys back then lol.
    1987.... QPR and Fulham merger is announced. New club to be called Fulham Park Rangers.

I think you can all guess how well THAT went down!

2001.... QPR and Wimbledon are in talks for a merger.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is the kind of thing that I've been used to!

Thank Post
    Apparently somebody threw a pound coin onto the pitch at Ibrox.

Police are investigating whether it was a missile or a takeover bid.

13. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

jpaterson (8th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Apparently somebody threw a pound coin onto the pitch at Ibrox.

Police are investigating whether it was a missile or a takeover bid.
    I wondered how long before someone would post that.....

Thank Post
    Search for "The big house must stay open" on Youtube.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    As a hibs fan, i've had little time for both the "old firm" sides, but I had a little sympathy for the Gers, until it was announced today that most of the high earning players have refused the 75% pay cut. If this is the defacto standard attitude from all payers in all teams, then I agree with you let them go to the wall.
    What? Would you accept a 75% pay cut? They have a contract you know and they can easily play elsewhere, why spend a year at well under normal pay?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    What? Would you accept a 75% pay cut? They have a contract you know and they can easily play elsewhere, why spend a year at well under normal pay?
    If it meant that the club that I played for was able to survive, then Yes! It was not a pay cut, as such, but a deferral of wages. This means that when there is a takeover in the future the players get those backdated wages back. It's not as cut and dried as "pay cut" and it would be disingenuous of anyone to suggest that anything else is the case.

The administrator has already said that he's not keen on the idea as it just loads debt onto the next owners before they've even signed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry but the fact that the club has been running at a deficit for the last 5 years and yet still promised (and contracted) high wage players is nothing short of lunacy. Wasn't long before the deficit hit them, it just hit them sooner than anticipated. Most of the players will be sold off and some of the free agents/cheaper players from the SPL will most likely be contracted there.

As for the wage cut, if they players cared for their team, they would take the wage cut...sorry but Luton Town/QPR/Chelsea etc, before new owners came in, players took massive pay cuts (some cases over 90%) to keep the team afloat because they loved the team. Greed is a big player in this, and everyone got greedy at that club. Too bad the supporters and the club on the whole have to suffer!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    we are not talking 30k per Annum but I would say yes if I was earning 100k a week.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast