+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Glasgow Rangers: Your views.. in General; Originally Posted by nephilim Sorry but the fact that the club has been running at a deficit for the last ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Sorry but the fact that the club has been running at a deficit for the last 5 years and yet still promised (and contracted) high wage players is nothing short of lunacy. Wasn't long before the deficit hit them, it just hit them sooner than anticipated. Most of the players will be sold off and some of the free agents/cheaper players from the SPL will most likely be contracted there.

As for the wage cut, if they players cared for their team, they would take the wage cut...sorry but Luton Town/QPR/Chelsea etc, before new owners came in, players took massive pay cuts (some cases over 90%) to keep the team afloat because they loved the team. Greed is a big player in this, and everyone got greedy at that club. Too bad the supporters and the club on the whole have to suffer!!
    This is true....

Look at the two players who left with NO redundancy package....all for the good of the club.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    What? Would you accept a 75% pay cut? They have a contract you know and they can easily play elsewhere, why spend a year at well under normal pay?
    I don't know what kind of package they were on but it is a bit like the article where Wall Street bankers were bemoaning their bonus cuts (***WARNING*** Do NOT ready if you have high blood pressure or get depressed by money issues). None of us could survive a 75% pay cut. I bet the footballers could with a bit of thought.

I'm incredibly impressed after having read the statement by one of the 2 players who voluntarily took redundancy without a package, especially as they have little chance of a signing until the end of the season.

Wylde told BBC Scotland on Tuesday: "I volunteered to walk with no redundancy package today to help the other people in the club who have families, like the kitchen staff.

3. 3 Thanks to TechMonkey:

aerospacemango (8th March 2012), andyturpie (8th March 2012), gmj (9th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ooh im glad i stumbled upon this thread.. had been holding out on making my own one in case my biggoted and sectarian views crept in

Interesting article in the BBC today BBC Sport - Rangers' Craig Whyte not fit and proper person - Scottish FA

Im loving the fact that rangers are struggling. Hopefully they will be found guilty of cheating and be stripped of their titles as well since 1998 (since the SPL started).

The money that the TV pays the SPL is a pittance compared to what the EPL get (the parachute payment for the relegated team from the EPL is more than the entire SPL TV deal) and each club gets £50m a year I believe. Can you imagine Stoke and small clubs like that prospering if it wasnt for the TV money.

If rangers go into liquidation, it is up to the SPL clubs to vote whether they come straight back in. I think that for the sake of the themselves they will vote them back in. A lot of the smaller clubs need the gate reciepts of the visitiing old firm fans as part of their budget.

Although, the real solution is just to let Celtic into the EPL and rangers and the rest of the scottish minnows can fight amongst themselves

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry but Celtic and rangers are more like championship sides....and SPL and lower Scottish divisions should merge with the lower divisions....A - more matches means more gate receipts, B - already happened quite successfully in Wales, C - allows for more money to the Scottish teams. That's my view.

As for rangers, unless more players don't take a hit, they deserve to go under. I feel for the cooks/maintenance team etc, but as I said, greed is a massive part as to why they're failing
    Last edited by nephilim; 9th March 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Ibrox first - Tynecastle next

7. Thanks to andyturpie from:

RabbieBurns (9th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally I cannot see a time when Rangers and Celtic should EVER be allowed in the English League system.

Clubs in the Premier League would NEVER vote for it, as it would be like turkeys voting for christmas. 2 teams would HAVE to leave the gravy train.....just not gonna happen.

As for all the leagues merging.... Completely unrealistic idea. The only reason that Wrexham, Swansea and Cardiff (I feel dirty just typing that team name!) are in the English Leagues is that they were historically part of the League. Ask them all to go to the League of Wales and see what answer you get! Let's not forget, Cardiff are the only club from outside England to win the FA Cup.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @nephilim, with our current players maybe, but even the championship clubs get more money than the SPL. How long do you think it would take for us to win promotion into the EPL and then with the 50 million quid, plus shirt sponsors deals that would sky rocket, we would be competing pretty well within a couple of seasons.

How many clubs in England get 60,000 at a home game every game of the season? And if we were playing chelsea, manchesters, spurs, aresenal, etc a few times a season we could easily add another 20,000 to that. Also we have a massive travelling support, too which would be a boost for the clubs and cities in england as well.

You mention wales - what leagues do swansea and cardiff play in?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just seen @aerospacemango post.. true, they would need to extend it to a 22 club team or something.. Yeh its a shame queens park never won the finals in 1884 and 1885 then there would be a scottish club on the fa cup too ;p

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    @nephilim, with our current players maybe, but even the championship clubs get more money than the SPL. How long do you think it would take for us to win promotion into the EPL and then with the 50 million quid, plus shirt sponsors deals that would sky rocket, we would be competing pretty well within a couple of seasons.

How many clubs in England get 60,000 at a home game every game of the season? And if we were playing chelsea, manchesters, spurs, aresenal, etc a few times a season we could easily add another 20,000 to that. Also we have a massive travelling support, too which would be a boost for the clubs and cities in england as well.

You mention wales - what leagues do swansea and cardiff play in?
    Sorry @RabbieBurns, but you are a seperate country, and will soon be voting to loosen your ties even further. Why should Celtic and Rangers be allowed in the Premier League? Please explain! It is ALL about the money! We didn't hear about these clubs wanting to come south in the 80's or 90's, but since the Prem has grown to be the biggest league in the world, and clubs get millions, every man and his dog wants a piece.

Why shouldn't we ask Marseille or PSG to join the League then? We used to own large tracts of France....does that count too???

And please don't answer that they are "too big for their own League"....it's been that way for a century or more....and only now, when there's a ridiculous amount of money sloshing about do they want to come south!
    Last edited by aerospacemango; 9th March 2012 at 09:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    is wales not its own country too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    is wales not its own country too
    Honestly? I think that the Welsh teams should also go to THEIR League. But as the League of Wales was only formed in 1992 and is mostly part-time, and the football teams were all formed well before that, the welsh teams were invited into the English pyramid. That is a fact.

At no point since the start of the Football League in England has there NOT been a league in Scotland.

I don't remember the clamour of English teams to go north of the border in the 80's...all I remember is Rangers buying Chris Woods, Terry Butcher, Gary Steven etc etc etc. European football was the draw for the players...and possibly money too!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the players from england came north so they could play in europe after your teams were banned from europe for your usual hooliganism

Thank Post
    @RabbieBurns -we were no angels when it comes to hooligans - ICF,CSC, CCS, ASC etc....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the celtic ones are a joke tho tbh just a bunch of bams trying to be hard.. they get kicked out of parkhead by their own fans..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    and when have the tartan army ever rioted?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast