+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Anything like team viewer or logmein but free? in General; I am trying to find a free / open source product that works like team viewer or logmein. Yes both ...

Thank Post

Anything like team viewer or logmein but free?

I am trying to find a free / open source product that works like team viewer or logmein.

Yes both these companies offer a free version but I am self employed and need to keep everything above board.

I only look after small primaries and the prices these companies offer, while being a good price, are too expensive for me to justify getting for the very few times it will get used.

I need access to the servers and office machines.

The catch is I cant easily change our port' and it costs way too much to do. Both logmein and team viewer work using port 80 for the initial outbound connection and get round the port problem.

Any ideas

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    The catch is I cant easily change our port' and it costs way too much to do. Both logmein and team viewer work using port 80 for the initial outbound connection and get round the port problem.
    FogCreek CoPilot might be appropriate:

https://www.copilot.com/

They offer more of a pay-as-you-go pricing model - you could probably pass the cost on to your clients, make it part of the cost of you doing a remote support session. Their product is based on VNC, and I seem to remember the changes they made to VNC's code are publicly available to comply with VNC's open source license - you could write your own VNC-based client. Alternativly, if you can install software on the server's you are aiming to remote in to and the firewalls in question simply block by port number, not by any kind of smart packet filtering, you could simply have VNC run on port 80 on a server in each school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Alternativly, if you can install software on the server's you are aiming to remote in to and the firewalls in question simply block by port number, not by any kind of smart packet filtering, you could simply have VNC run on port 80 on a server in each school.
    Alternativly, look for something that will act as a proxy server running over HTTP - HTTP requests themselves have no inherent timeout value, it's the client (web browser) which handles that, so you can open an HTTP connection and keep sending data down it for as long as you like. You might have to go and rummage around some cracking websites to find a proxy that runs over HTTP.

Thank Post
    Does the RBC offer remote access? CLEO have a remote desktop system which you just request and setup so you can remote in. We use it for the majority of our schools.

Thank Post
    While not free, may be worth checking out CentraStage (Centrastage - Remote Management & Software Deployment For Every Device) - they charge per device and is feature packed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread