+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Dissertation Help!! in General; Hey, sorry if this isnt in the right Thread, im currently studying Network Management at Sheffield Hallam University and im ...

Thank Post

Dissertation Help!!

Hey, sorry if this isnt in the right Thread, im currently studying Network Management at Sheffield Hallam University and im writing my dissertation on recommedations on building a school Network. I need help with my research... im looking for copies of IT Policies in Schools, im looking for around 10 - 20 to help with my research.... any help would be great guys!! if you could send a copy of the IT Policy to my email with the School name that would be great, (email removed - please pm)
    This would be great help for my degree and appreciate your time.

Jonathan Wandless
    Last edited by witch; 4th March 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jonathon

There are some good examples already available for you if you take to the time to use EduGeek search facility. This is a thread which has come up on many occasions and so examples are out there if you look. You could also have a look at the Wiki as there are some examples on there too.

If you are studying at SHU it might also be an idea to have any examples sent to your SHU email address to make sure that they are going to the right place. You might also want to have a look through the National Archives website as there is a lot of material from Becta (the closed NDRB which dealt with advice on technology in education) which includes the Functional and Technical Specifications for IT Infrastructure. This would also give you plenty of opportunity to show correct referencing in your dissertation.

3. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

JWandless (5th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Hi Jonathan
    I have removed your email address as it is not a good idea to put it up on an open forum - people can PM you for your university email address please.
    I am interested in the topic of your dissertation - I do hope that you will consider asking the people on here about what a school network should be- if we don't know, nobody does! IT policies are often written by non-technical people and therefore may not give a perfect idea of a school network - mind you, this is perhaps what you are looking at!
    I will move it to General Chat so that more people are likely to look at it, too

Thank Post
    School Policies

Was not written by me.

regards

6. Thanks to 2097 from:

JWandless (5th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks Tony... ill have look

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the email, im new to this forum. My dissertation topic is Designing a network for a educational Institute. Haha im planning on making a survey questionnaire aswell which im currently designing. I see what you mean about the IT policies, i have a few and can see that some are written from a more technical view then others. Thanks for moving the Thread! ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is an interesting choice of dissertation ... was it influenced by anything in particular? What was the reaction from your lecturers?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    So....thank me too!!!
    (My nephew is at your uni in his second year of a degree in Computer and Network Engineering and having a good time)
    I think you will continue to be very surprised at the difference in policies. Had you considered contacting some of the more experienced network managers here - and there are lots - to ask them how THEY would design a network? Questionnaires are useful but they cannot cover everything and it all depends how you ask the question.
    TBH what the people on here don't know about designing a school network could be written on the back of a stamp - there are so many really experienced people here that I hesitate to name any for fear of upsetting some of the others! But you can always PM me or any other mod/admin to see who we would suggest....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    It is an interesting choice of dissertation ... was it influenced by anything in particular? What was the reaction from your lecturers?
    I was influenced both from having a strong passion for networking and working in a school last year for my placement. I saw that most people were researching in topics that were boring and not interesting, so i thought what the hell... why not learn to build a network and have fun doing it!! My lecturers werent really big help on this... to be honest i havent had that much help on it at all so it has been stressful... still fun though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    So....thank me too!!!
    (My nephew is at your uni in his second year of a degree in Computer and Network Engineering and having a good time)
    I think you will continue to be very surprised at the difference in policies. Had you considered contacting some of the more experienced network managers here - and there are lots - to ask them how THEY would design a network? Questionnaires are useful but they cannot cover everything and it all depends how you ask the question.
    TBH what the people on here don't know about designing a school network could be written on the back of a stamp - there are so many really experienced people here that I hesitate to name any for fear of upsetting some of the others! But you can always PM me or any other mod/admin to see who we would suggest....
    Glad to hear your nephew is having a good time, its the degree that i wanted to go for but had to start from foundation because i only studied CCNA and ICT A-level at college :-( ... its brilliant university to go too if you want to do networking... great facilities.
    I have considered getting people view on here. The Questionnaire is just to get broad view on little factors like Raid choice, Security etc... sent a PM. And thanks again guys all this has been great help and insight!.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread