+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
General Chat Thread, Hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi in General; Elsiegee siarad Cymraeg?...
  1. #16
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,286
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 395 Times in 305 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    288
    Elsiegee siarad Cymraeg?

  2. #17

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,187
    Thank Post
    1,454
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Iechyd Da all those who are Welsh or of Welsh origin (that'd be me then)
    I think my mum's welsh cakes had a little bit of cinnamon in, but I can't ask her either - my sister has her recipe book though. I can't make them today anyway as I have given all cakes up for Lent but I will just imagine them...

  3. #18

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Iechyd Da all those who are Welsh or of Welsh origin (that'd be me then)
    I think my mum's welsh cakes had a little bit of cinnamon in, but I can't ask her either - my sister has her recipe book though. I can't make them today anyway as I have given all cakes up for Lent but I will just imagine them...
    They're not really cakes are they...

  4. #19

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,187
    Thank Post
    1,454
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Ach-a fi!!!
    Yes, they are:
    Definition of cake:An item of soft, sweet food made from a mixture of flour, shortening, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients, baked
    Definition of baking: Cook by dry heat without direct exposure to a flame, typically in an oven or on a hot surface

  5. #20

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    9,978
    Thank Post
    1,852
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Rep Power
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Elsiegee siarad Cymraeg?
    Odd words due to my Welsh mother! nothing useful.

  6. #21
    ButterflyMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Inside my own head
    Posts
    739
    Thank Post
    1,066
    Thanked 185 Times in 163 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Happy St David's to you all when I lived 'down by' in Tonna I did try Laver Bread and well really really could not get into it. Mind I suppose it is like asking a Welsh person to eat Haggis
    Last edited by ButterflyMoon; 1st March 2012 at 02:00 PM.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Ach-a fi!!!
    Yes, they are:
    Definition of cake:An item of soft, sweet food made from a mixture of flour, shortening, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients, baked
    Definition of baking: Cook by dry heat without direct exposure to a flame, typically in an oven or on a hot surface
    It depends whether or not they go hard when they're stale or go soft when they're stale. If they're hard when stale, they're cakes. If they're soft when stale, they're biscuits.

    Jaffa Cakes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #23
    rich_tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,112
    Thank Post
    133
    Thanked 142 Times in 123 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    Diolch yn fawr a Hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi pob arall (not sure if I have that right as I am only learning welsh myself here at the moment), I cant abide Laverbread myself, grandparents and parents both loved the stuff, it never took with me, same with cockles, I can eat them, but they just dont taste of much to me, love the cawl, welsh cakes and bara brith though.

  9. #24

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    9,978
    Thank Post
    1,852
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Rep Power
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    It depends whether or not they go hard when they're stale or go soft when they're stale. If they're hard when stale, they're cakes. If they're soft when stale, they're biscuits.

    Jaffa Cakes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    They never hang round long enough to go stale

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    They never hang round long enough to go stale
    You must be baking them right then!

  11. #26

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,070
    Thank Post
    1,404
    Thanked 652 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    261
    Cymru am Byth! And as a courtesy to the English I'll resist mentioning the rugby...

    From CP's resident Welsh Exile,

    Mark

  12. #27
    Gerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    431
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    Diolch yn fawr a Hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi pob arall.
    Here comes a pedantic Welshman... What I think you're trying to say is:
    "Diolch yn fawr, a Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus i bawb arall"

    Translation of what you actually said is:
    "Thank you very much and a Saint David's Day Happy every all"

    "Gŵyl" means festival or holiday, but in this case it doesn't translate.

    Yes, the thread title is slightly wrong. Adjective's in Welsh are usually tacked on to the end. I know, we're backwards And if that's not strange enough for you, sometimes words start with different letters depending on the word that came before it, something called mutation - myself and a lot of other Welsh have a problem with that one...

  13. #28


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,236
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    They never hang round long enough to go stale
    The picture looks good enough to eat, let alone the cakes.

    My mum never made them, as she was brought up in Sittingbourne and only moved to Wales after the war, when she married my dad.

    My Grandma used to make them and always brought us a biscuit tin full every Thursday. Usually gone by Friday tea-time.

    All this talk of welsh cakes, laverbread and cockles has made me really hungry.

  14. #29


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,236
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Here comes a pedantic Welshman... What I think you're trying to say is:
    "Diolch yn fawr, a Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus i bawb arall"

    Translation of what you actually said is:
    "Thank you very much and a Saint David's Day Happy every all"

    "Gŵyl" means festival or holiday, but in this case it doesn't translate.

    Yes, the thread title is slightly wrong. Adjective's in Welsh are usually tacked on to the end. I know, we're backwards And if that's not strange enough for you, sometimes words start with different letters depending on the word that came before it, something called mutation - myself and a lot of other Welsh have a problem with that one...
    It was when we started getting into mutation at school, e.g. Yng Hymru(?) that I decided I'd rather learn Russuian or Azerbaijani or Pashtu, anything else at all, really.

    I eventually decided on English, but still having trouble with it.

  15. #30

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    All this talk of welsh cakes, laverbread and cockles has made me really hungry.
    I know what you mean. I'm making Cup-cakes tomorrow. Like these I made earlier

    Hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi-427490_10150630663734725_646319724_9032465_2131119149_n.jpgHapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi-416905_10150630661029725_646319724_9032457_272466545_n.jpg

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus (Happy St David's Day) :o)
    By elsiegee40 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st March 2011, 06:19 PM
  2. Dydd Santes Dwynwen - Happy Saint Dwynwen's day
    By pooley in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th January 2011, 10:38 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •