+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Timesheets? in General; It seems likely that the non-teaching staff here are all going to have to keep timesheets to account for their ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts

Timesheets?

It seems likely that the non-teaching staff here are all going to have to keep timesheets to account for their activities...

I had to do this in 15 minute slots when working "in industry" as my time was cross-charged and didn't have a problem with it.

I just can't see it working here... In my case I'm part-time (at home now - so no time wasting issues!) and my contract covers more than one job... not just the IT. Then there's the stuff that I'm trying to get added in to my contract (actually this might help).

Do other schools have timesheets? Does it work for you as well as the Bursar?

Thank Post

Re: Timesheets?

This was talked about at one of the schools I work with and a pilot was actually carried out. They stopped it as soon as they reaslised jobs were taking considerably longer due to the time necesity on filling out the time sheets themselves. I wouldn't have a "problem" with it as such but can imagine it would become quite boring.

Thank Post

Under BSF we have time sheets, our BSFer is the LEA who won the contract, however we also operate on a flexi time basis, which makes everything fit nicely.

Thank Post

We aren't required to do them, frankly it'd waste a lot of time filling them in!

Thank Post

I can see me remembering to claim all the excess hours I work if I have to keep detailed timesheets... SMT may then decide it's cheaper not to bother!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts

You Should claim all the extra hours you do - otherwise the powers-that-be think that the job can be done in the time you are officially there.
    This happens far too much both in industry AND education.
    We all do a bit of extra here and there, but if it is regular and excessive you should be paid for it.
    None of us are paid very much anyway, and if you work part-time then the extra you do is even longer as a percentage of your paid time if you see what I mean (I work 2 hours a day in one school, and was regularly doing an extra half an hour a day until my husband pointed out that I was doing 25% extra for free - the same as if he did nearly 2 hours a day extra - I hadnt looked at it like that before)
    Timesheets are a waste of effort - especially in a job like ours where you can be flitting about between several jobs and be caught over the other side of the school to 'just fix' something which you have forgotten you did by the time you get back to your timesheet!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Timesheets are a waste of effort - especially in a job like ours where you can be flitting about between several jobs and be caught over the other side of the school to 'just fix' something which you have forgotten you did by the time you get back to your timesheet!
    I totally agree

@witch: I do claim most of my extra hours. However Timesheets will just ensure I remember ALL of them

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Time sheets are useful from a management perspective. You can see where your tech support is being used up (and potentially do something to solve underlying problem if throwing more man hours at the problem isn't working). I think I've suggested this approach in the past when building on the success of a help desk based technical support system (for example FITs).

Conversely, they are useful to employees when you get into a dispute with your line management or SMT over what your actually doing and how long it's taking. Sadly we've also discussed this on several occasions.

Obviously using time sheets to claim overtime is just a more mild form of this.

Thank Post

We rejected it for the ICT department.. as we are not busy all the time and job logging for research on the internet is not an option..

So i sent this back to the SLT..

10min per day doing the sheet..

50min per week

or 2400 min for a 48 week year = 40 hours divide by 8 hours = 5 working days

So that one full week to fill out the form x 4 Techs= 1 entire month of manpower just filling out the form..

and I didn't even take off lunch...

Thank Post

I sometimes keep one so I can get a general overview of where the support time is going, i.e. specific hardware/software evaluation, general "reading around the subject" for new products/technologies, installing software, fixing hardware, fixing software, supporting teaching staff, supporting students.

This is only ever for internal use, and I wouldn't want to publish it to anyone else; it is a useful management task though, just like reading through the helpdesk logs and seeing what calls are repeating themselves.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts

webman and myself had to use timesheets for a year (took a lot of filling in) and all SLT could determine is that we were under staffed but did nothing about it. We now do more for less pay with the same staff.

Time and motion (Rich peoples stick to beat the poorer into taking less pay for the work that they do but all legal like).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Time sheets are useful from a management perspective. You can see where your tech support is being used up (and potentially do something to solve underlying problem if throwing more man hours at the problem isn't working). I think I've suggested this approach in the past when building on the success of a help desk based technical support system (for example FITs).
    And how would your NM feel about all the entries saying "posted on Edugeek"

Thank Post

I don't have enough time in the day as it is let alone spend time filling in time sheets for jobs i do, especially the little jobs.

It would take more time to fill the sheet in than do the job for some of them.

Thank Post

@tosca925 - if the job is that quick, it's not really worth recording. imho.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    We rejected it for the ICT department.. as we are not busy all the time and job logging for research on the internet is not an option..
    This is where I see the problem
    For example today I havent really 'done' anything yet simply because thankfully nothing has gone wrong and there are no outstanding jobs.
    So I have been basically just researching on the net and configuring virtual machines...which wouldnt look too good written down

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information