+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Timesheets? in General; Why would doing research not look good? Part of our job is to review, evaluate and recommend new products. How ...
    Thank Post

Re: Timesheets?

Why would doing research not look good? Part of our job is to review, evaluate and recommend new products. How can we be expected to do that without having done any research??

Thank Post

" - if the job is that quick, it's not really worth recording. imho"

But what about all the jobs you get when you walk into a class such as "while your here..." A simple job often turns into 3-4 simple jobs which when added together takes time. Not filling in a time sheet would end up showing hours of no work over weeks. Filling in time sheets you double the time spent on simple jobs and cut down your time on the more imporatant ones.

To be honest I dont have a problem either way of filling in time sheets. But I dont think they give a true refection of the work you do. Poeple dont fully understand what we do anyway. If your busy your not going to do it straight away, it will be done from memory and the hours added up to make your full day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    @tosca925 - if the job is that quick, it's not really worth recording. imho.
    My "jobs that quick" take up most of my time! It would be an absolute s*d to record. It took me longer to get to the building where a "sound card was missing" this morning than it did to fix the problem (turn the speakers on)!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts

The only thing I do is keep a basic note of what I do every day (if I can find the time) - this is so I can see what is going on and where all my time has gone. Also, as I work pretty much alone and unsupervised I think it is important that I can justify my time if I have to!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    The only thing I do is keep a basic note of what I do every day (if I can find the time) - this is so I can see what is going on and where all my time has gone. Also, as I work pretty much alone and unsupervised I think it is important that I can justify my time if I have to!!
    I have been recommended to do this before, simply for the latter reason you gave. I don't really do it, but I should, in case someone ever wants to see it. Like you, I work pretty much alone and therefore have no evidence of exactly how much work I am doing in the time I am given.

I know some people say there isn't a lot of work to do in primary schools... how wrong they are (as soon as the staff realise there is IT support available to them for half a week each week anyway). I still have quite a backlog of jobs i'm "getting around" to and working overtime is often necessary (I always forget to put my hours in though )

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pallen
    A simple job often turns into 3-4 simple jobs which when added together takes time.
    In which case, I would record half an hour spent either on "hardware problems" or "user training" depending on what the 3-4 simple tasks had been. If you look back at the categories I listed, they are all very broad - keeping a timesheet that records time spent "supporting Word" and also "supporting Geography Dept" would be a nightmare!

Thank Post

So like, what happens if you do several jobs at the same time? I.e. The majority of my average day goes something like:

- Arrive at work
    - Start work on website
    - Get a call from reception to look at printer
    - Arrive back at office after 15 mins and restart work on website
    - 5 mins later, get a knock on the door to ask for support in ICT suite
    - As I'm fixing PC in ICT Suite, get another teacher come to me and ask for help in her classroom with her laptop, which I attend to after finishing in ICT Suite
    - Arrive back at my office and spent 10 mins on website before having to make and receive a couple phone calls about a completely unrelated matter
    - Again continue work on website for a few minutes before being call out for something else

... and thats pretty much how it goes all day. How do you record something like that? It's easy enough to record all the odd jobs, but what about the website work in-between? How do you record the times it was done in?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You record it exactly as you've written in. Just fill in little 5/10/15min blocks as 'website development'. Hopefully management will pick up on this silliness and do something about it (Obvious solution is to give you a fixed chunk of time a week to do website work undisturbed, say half a day).

Thank Post

_Bat_ - that would only be a problem if your timesheet was actually timed, i.e. 9am-10am and so on. At the end of the day, you have totalled 30 minutes web site work, so record that.

sdc
    Thank Post
    Don't know if this topic's still of any interest to anyone, but I have written a spreadsheet in Excel which simplifies this process, so far as keeping track of time in and out of work - which aids my case when needing an hour off here or there. Also, helps when explaining about workload! This spreadsheet is fairly automated and does account for things like holidays (both public and school), days off sick, etc. If anyone would like a copy, please let me know - I'd appreciate feedback and thoughts for ways of further developing it.

Stephen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information