+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Booo: Next-gen Intel CPUs pushed back in General; It's official: Ivy Bridge release pushed back - The Tech Report Boooo! Hissss! This is what comes of having no ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Booo: Next-gen Intel CPUs pushed back

It's official: Ivy Bridge release pushed back - The Tech Report

Boooo! Hissss!

This is what comes of having no competition, I fear. A June launch for Ivy Bridge is going to make it interesting trying to get hold of new desktops for the summer round of upgrades, I suspect there may be some competition for CPU stock - particularly if the reason for the delay is due to low yields on the new 22nm tri-gate process, as stated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IIRC, back in about 2000 when the first 1Ghz processors were due out with AMD beating Intel to the post it caused Intel to buck up their ideas as they had been sitting on the techologies for quite a time and were caught with their pants down. Any hope of AMD doing the same again? Probably not.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    IIRC, back in about 2000 when the first 1Ghz processors were due out with AMD beating Intel to the post it caused Intel to buck up their ideas as they had been sitting on the techologies for quite a time and were caught with their pants down. Any hope of AMD doing the same again? Probably not.
    Given that they only just got Bulldozer out the door, which has taken them bloody years and been massively delayed; given that it is only just competitive with the current gen in certain select scenarios, and Intel have got a good wind behind them anyway with their tri-gate stuff and decent IGPs; and given AMD's almost complete restructuring up top... I'm not expecting them to be competitive again this side of 2015

I say this as someone who built their home machine out of all AMD bits from a love of the underdog, but I fear they have dug a right big pit for themselves at the moment.

Thank Post
    As I understand it only the mobile netbook chips have been pushed back. The desktop chips should be mostly on time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    As I understand it only the mobile netbook chips have been pushed back. The desktop chips should be mostly on time.
    That had been rumoured before but the quote in the article didn't seem to explicitly limit the delay to notebook parts. Here's hoping though... certainly I can understand the delay on the low-end dual-core notebook chips because frankly, I can't think of many cases where you'd need anything more in a laptop.

Thank Post
    "the 22nm processor set to succeed Sandy Bridge in notebooks this year – had been pushed back from April." To me that seems to be notebooks only. Why go out the way to say notebooks if they really mean all Sandy Bridge?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    The delay doesn't seem too bad, although it would have been nicer to have the mobile processors in April rather than June...

Intel Ivy Bridge Revised Launch-Schedule Revealed

8 April 2012: This was supposed to be the day "everything" (all CPU models slated for April, compatible motherboards) launched. Instead on this day, motherboard vendors will launch their products based on Intel Z77, Z75, H77, and B75 chipsets. System builders (you) will have to use existing "Sandy Bridge" processors, which are very much compatible with those motherboards. You will not be able to buy "Ivy Bridge" processors from anywhere on this day.

29 April 2012: This is when Intel will launch quad-core Core i5, Core i7 "Ivy Bridge". On this day, the media will be able to post reviews of the new processor platform. It's not clear if you'll be able to buy these chips on this day, either. Perhaps you might.

3 June 2012: This is when Intel will launch the notebook platform based on "Ivy Bridge", dual-core "Ivy Bridge" processors, Q77 and Q75 chipset, and the much talked about Ultrabook "Ivy Bridge" form-factor (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 27th February 2012 at 05:04 PM.

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

sonofsanta (27th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The delay doesn't seem too bad, although it would have been nicer to have the mobile processors in April rather than June...
    Still no word on the i3 desktop parts there then... it would just be annoying to end up going Sandy Bridge due to timing constraints around the holidays. Not that it really matters, and Sandy Bridge is entirely capable, but it would be frustrating to miss out by a handful of weeks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Still no word on the i3 desktop parts there then...
    Nothing more recent than this...

Desktop Core i3 processors should be available not too long after that, from mid May to mid June. The first released Core i3s will be i3-3220, i3-3220T, i3-3225, i3-3240 and i3-3240T.
    The Core i3-3225 looks like the one to go for out of those listed since it is the only processor with HD 4000 graphics.

11. Thanks to Arthur from:

sonofsanta (28th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any hope of AMD doing the same again? Probably not.
    Maybe, Intel has gone for path optimisation which was what AMD did well and stole intels lunch with now it looks like they are taking the game back to clockrate:

AMD's Piledriver To Hit 4GHz+ With Resonant Clock Mesh - Slashdot

"Advanced Micro Devices plans to use resonant clock mesh (PDF) technology developed by Cyclos Semiconductor to push its Piledriver processor architecture to 4GHz and beyond, the company announced at the International Solid State Circuits Conferences (ISSCC) in San Francisco. Cyclos is the only supplier of resonant clock mesh IP, which AMD has licensed and implemented into its x86 Piledriver core for Opteron server processors and Accelerated Processing Units. Resonant clock mesh technology will not only lead to higher clocked processors, but also significant power savings. According to Cyclos, the new technology is capable of reducing power consumption by 10 percent or bumping up clockspeeds by 10 percent without altering the TDP."/
    Whether they will pull it off and how effective it might be are all up in the air but if they can dump out 4/5GHz chips with reasonable pathing they may well gain some traction again and push up clockrate for all of those blatently single threaded apps that still exist in great numbers.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 28th February 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully without the huge power and heat demands which halted the previous race to the top in the Ghz battle between Intel and AMD IIRC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully without the huge power and heat demands which halted the previous race to the top in the Ghz battle between Intel and AMD IIRC.
    S'alright, they already provide sealed water cooling kits with some of their processors as standard now, they'll just move to providing sealed nitrogen cooling kits instead and we can all have 8GHz chips then

Thank Post
    We generally order new PC's around June to replace existing kit. Unfortunately this delay means that rather than getting shiny new Ivy bridge PCs it will probably delay the rollout of new models from the likes of HP/Dell meaining that we have to settle for buying sandy bridge ones again!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    New leaked slide suggests April 29 for i7 and some i5, June 3 for other i5, and "Holiday" for the i3's I'm after. I hope they don't mean Christmas by that...

(source: Leaked slide dates Ivy Bridge launches - The Tech Report)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    June 3 for other i5, and "Holiday" for the i3's I'm after. I hope they don't mean Christmas by that...
    If it is June for the rest of the i5's, then "Holiday" must mean Independence Day?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast