+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car recommendations in General; So my car is almost certain to be written off after White Van Man rear-ended me (oo-er). It is/was an ...

Thank Post

Car recommendations

So my car is almost certain to be written off after White Van Man rear-ended me (oo-er). It is/was an "R" reg 2l Ford Mondeo and I suspect that I'll be lucky to get much more than the 500 I recently shelled out on fixing an oil leak and the heating along with 3 new tyres, but I need a new car. Grrrr.

Anyway, I'm not overly interested in cars - I see them primarily as a convenient way to get from A to B - so I was hoping for some recommendations.

My priorities are:

Can I afford it? <2k
    Can I afford to run it? (The cheaper the better in terms of petrol/tax/insurance/parts/repairs)
    Has it got 4 doors? (Mme LeMarchand insists)
    Does it look nice? (I like the look of my Mondeo, saw a Rover 45 I liked recently, also like those Chrysler Cruisers and Landrover Defender G4s, but I don't think either of those fit in the above 2 categories)
    Does it have a reasonable amount of luggage space? (Transporting daughters/luggage on frequent house moves)
    Is it Hitler-chipped? (No BMWs/Mercs/Audis as I want to give all my concentration to driving rather than fighting the urge to drive like an idiot; with apologies to strong-willed Edugeekers who have managed to resist the call of the Fuhrer)

So can anyone recommend me a new car that will fit in with the above? Doesn't have to be particularly fast as I don't feel the need to exceed the speed limits, but did appreciate not having to struggle up hills in the Mondeo.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally.....

You might want to go for a Saab 9-5 estate! Ok, so not particularly cheap to run (30-35mpg) and insurance may be quite high....but loads of luggage space, great for cruising around.

I have one (obviously) and I'm very happy with the look. Lots of gadgets too!

3. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

LeMarchand (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Citroen C5 Diesel? Should tick all your boxes. Boot space on these is massive, and i mean massive, also being Citroen you get lots of Toys.

5. Thanks to Quackers from:

Thank Post
    what engine size are you looking for if petrol or diesel, if it is 2001 or newer and depending on C02 emissions can be cheaper on tax, possibly cheaper on insurance depending on your no claims bonus / how long you have been driving for etc etc.

Nissan Almerras are cheap on insurance and if its 2001 or newer will be cheaper on tax as well. You can get a 1.6 petrol Nissan Almera. If you after luggage space then an estate, honda accord or someit ?

Although hondas might be a little more on insurance ( well at least for me it was ) but only been driving for nearly 3 years.

7. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Personally.....

You might want to go for a Saab 9-5 estate! Ok, so not particularly cheap to run (30-35mpg) and insurance may be quite high....but loads of luggage space, great for cruising around.
    I'll take a better look @ home, but I think that may be a bit TOO big! We were trying to slightly downsize from the Mondeo, so I may look at the "non Estate" version.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Citroen C5 Diesel? Should tick all your boxes. Boot space on these is massive, and i mean massive, also being Citroen you get lots of Toys.
    Never had a diesel. Any caveats? Though Mme LeMarchand has a downer on les autos francais and, as much as I love toys, I'm always wary of them in cars. When they inevitably go wrong, it always costs a fortune to sort out!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    what engine size are you looking for if petrol or diesel, if it is 2001 or newer and depending on C02 emissions can be cheaper on tax, possibly cheaper on insurance depending on your no claims bonus / how long you have been driving for etc etc.
    Not really fussed about engine size, as long as it can comfortably do 70mph and get up a hill it's good enough for me! Don't know enough about the pros and cons of petrol v diesel either, and would prefer to get something post 2001 if possible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mazda 2. Reliable and well made. You can get them 4 door, too.

I've been an old school diesel driver for many years, but I'd be wary of modern diesels with the particulate filter regeneration and all that jazz. Cars are far too compilcated these days.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 23rd February 2012 at 04:53 PM.

11. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

Thank Post
    For myself at least Diesel seemed quite a bit more on insurance, they do a lot more miles per tank generally speaking ( Friend has had a few and gets aprox 600 or 650 to a tank which costs between the region of 70 or 80 a tank ).

I've got a 1.6 petrol honda civic executive II and costs me about 60 a tank and get about 400 miles out of a tank and have to fill it up twice a month so get about 800 miles.

Goes up hills great but wish I had of gone with the Type R honda civic as acceleration could possibly be a bit better.

Not sure with regards to reliability etc but have heard a number of people I know always saying to go with petrol , but am guessing that is just a personal preference, and I want with a petrol one more so because the insurance was too high on a diesel car and I don't exactly travel 100 miles to and 100 miles back from work each day or anything daft like that.

If you want to try and get insurance estimates, I used www.confused.com and went on auto trader to find a bunch of cars in my price range with the relevant criteria ie 4 or 5 doors, max price 2000, min price 500 and did a quote on about 10 or 15 and that is how I found out the price diff on insurance.

Tax wise you would have to get the reg plate number from any photos if possible and check against DVLA website ref C02 emmissions ( as you stated 2001 or later ) and hopefully get an idea that way.

My 2001 honda costs about 91 for 6 months

13. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Mazda 2. Reliable and well made. You can get them 4 door, too.

I've been an old school diesel driver for many years, but I'd be wary of modern diesels with the particulate filter regeneration and all that jazz. Cars are far too compilcated these days.
    Japanese - I normally look at ( with the possible exclusion of Toyota )

Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and Honda

15. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Ford Focus?
    Peugeot 306/7 SW? (Had a 306 SW which was really good, added 100,000 to it's millage and chopped that in for a 307 SW last year which is proving to be good.......it sailed through it's MOT today) :-)
    Vauxhall Vectra?

Have a look here: Used Estate Car for Sale - Auto Trader UK

and look at used car reviews here: Used Car Reviews, UK Car Advice, Information & Auto Reviews | Parkers

I also find this site good too: Honest John

Hope this helps? Ben :-)

17. Thanks to bgarston from:

Thank Post
    Vectra 04 1.8L for about 2k
    Skoda octivia 02 for about 2k

19. Thanks to JoeBloggs from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    Vectra 04 1.8L for about 2k
    Skoda octivia 02 for about 2k
    I had someone drive into the back of me and had a hire type car given to me for a week whilst they repaired my car and the 1.8L drank fuel like there was no tommorow.

Cost me about 70 quid just for one weeks worth of fuel nevermind 70 for 2 weeks worth of fuel. This was a 1.8L Vauxhall Astra 2010 or 2011 plate ( was only about 6 months old )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Personally.....

I have one (obviously) and I'm very happy with the look. Lots of gadgets too!
    Even with Saabs current status?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

Ben
    shouldnt be much of an issue its a vauxhall underneath

23. Thanks to sted from:

denzal2k4 (24th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

Ben
    Car companies have come and gone over the last 30 years....that doesn't make the cars bad!

The saloon versions are very nice too. From how I read it the OP is looking for a used car? In which case, Saabs tend to run for a lot of miles (similar to Volvo in that way) and have a high spec.

In fact....there's another thought....A Volvo? Not the classiest cars around, and tend to be a bit boxy, but have loads of space. Swedish cars are built to withstand Swedish weather.....Figures that a few hills and some snow won't have you in trouble....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast