+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Car recommendations in General; Originally Posted by aerospacemango ..... Swedish cars are built to withstand Swedish weather.....Figures that a few hills and some snow ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    ..... Swedish cars are built to withstand Swedish weather.....Figures that a few hills and some snow won't have you in trouble....
    Good point. Buy a car made in a country that has worse weather than you.

Back in the '70s a neighbour bought a Lancia and it was possible to watch it decompose before your eyes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    So my car is almost certain to be written off after ...
    Will it still be safe to drive? Someone bashed in the side of my old car a couple of years ago. They said it would be written off, but it was such a good reliable car I told them I'd rather keep it than get the paltry amount for write-off value. They paid me some money in lieu of repairs, I was happy with this deal, and drove it for a quite a while which a caved in side, only spent £20 on a new door mirror.

I sold the car (with 170,000 miles on the clock) for £200 ish later, I still see it around now and again, chugging along on what must be near 200,000 miles by now.

If it doesn't bother you too much, you can get money in lieu of repairs, and take your time looking for a new car, then sell yours for whatever you can get. Sometimes it's worth more as scrap.

Don't forget to get a refund on the tax disc.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 24th February 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Word of advice, avoid the PT Cruiser..my ex landlord had one. Diesel. Drank the fuel, to the extent that a 3.something litre Gen3 Disco was actually more economical to run.

SAAB, yep..GM underneath the skin pretty much.

Zafira? Lots about.

Thank Post
    Focus (1.6 diesel)
    Fiesta
    Mondeo
    C3
    Astra

something like that, wouldnt go over a 1.6 petrol if you want cheap running costs my 2005 Focus 1.6 petrol gives me 34 MPG(winter) 36 MPG (Summer).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Will it still be safe to drive? Someone bashed in the side of my old car a couple of years ago. They said it would be written off, but it was such a good reliable car I told them I'd rather keep it than get the paltry amount for write-off value. They paid me some money in lieu of repairs, I was happy with this deal, and drove it for a quite a while which a caved in side, only spent £20 on a new door mirror.
    I was thinking that this might be the best option. Will need a car by end of March (going on honeymoon and will need to use the boot), but at least it gives us a chance to find a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Word of advice, avoid the PT Cruiser..my ex landlord had one.
    I spoke to the site manager where I am this morning, he confirmed this. Loves the car, hates the costs.

Vauxhalls are out as the mother-in-law has one, so the OH has declared them "old fogey" mobiles. I agree that Volvos should be a good choice, but they tend to be driven by "road owners" for some reason. (You can tell that this decision isn't going to be entirely rational!).

Thank Post
    Ha, I drive an "old fogey" mobile..hehe. MK4 Astra. To be fair, our Dept head just asked me if I took the car mountaineering, as he followed me home last night, and was quite surprised when I booted the throttle and took off up a near vertical winding back road that is a "local" route to my house. Now I think on, I had noticed a MK5 behind..oops!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Volvos should be a good choice, but they tend to be driven by "road owners" for some reason. (You can tell that this decision isn't going to be entirely rational!).
    I've had a couple of Volvos, and always felt more like I was middle-aged than a road owner!!!

The S40 is a decent car....and I think cars are more about how YOU drive them, than how other people do! Not ALL BMW drivers are road hogs, and not all Porsche drivers are bankers......Oooopps! Slip of the finger in that last sentence....I'll leave you to decide what I mean!

I've always felt that if I drive a car that is seen in a certain light (i.e. Ford Capri.... Boy-Racer....Idiot! Saab....old fogey....staid...Unexciting!) I try to drive to improve the impression! Let people out....don't overtake in silly places....Leave plenty of room!

8. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

denzal2k4 (24th February 2012)

OB1

Thank Post
    Not really fussed about engine size, as long as it can comfortably do 70mph and get up a hill it's good enough for me! Don't know enough about the pros and cons of petrol v diesel either, and would prefer to get something post 2001 if possible.
    Diesel's tend to be better long distance cruisers and generally more economical.
    They also tend to be happier at higher mileage than petrol equivalents, since they're simpler internally.
    And they're cheaper to tax than their petrol equivalent.
    Downsides are servicing and insurance can be more expensive, since most diesels have turbochargers (they're a bit gutless without them).

In my (limited) experience, german diesels are pretty much bomb proof, especially the VW/Audi group ones (includes SEAT and Skoda).
    FYI, the Audi A4, VW Passat and Skoda Superb from around 2000-2001 are exactly the same car, each one's just wearing a different suit.

10. Thanks to OB1 from:

LeMarchand (24th February 2012)

Thank Post
    UPDATE: This is the second claim I've made from this lot. The first time (over 4 years agao), I got back to my car to find the driver's side window bricked. Apparently this was my fault as they had no one to claim against and it took them days (of rainy weather) to sort out. While this time they have been quite speedy sorting things out, I've just received an offer of £750 (no room for negotiation), they want the car Monday, and as it's a write-off won't provide a courtesy car. Managed to defer collection a week, but I have to say they need to change their slogan to: Swift-no clucking help at all.

Had a letter from the other guy's firm offering help; wondering what the ramifications of contacting them would be, but suspect that as I (seemingly foolishly) claimed via Swift I'm USCWAP...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12