+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Cheap PC / Laptop (low spec) in General; This seems legit, the father-in-law asked me about this and if I thought he should bother. I said that in ...
    TheLibrarian

Cheap PC / Laptop (low spec)

This seems legit, the father-in-law asked me about this and if I thought he should bother. I said that in my opinion the PC and mobile broadband connection would be fine for what he wants.

Get Online @ Home the scheme is called, the link is below:

Get your computer

Thank Post
    Yep, it's a scheme backed (or organised?) by Microsoft. They were pushing it at Bett.

3. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not really worth the money though is it... Everyone knows someone into computers and everyone into computers can probably halve those prices

5. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Not really worth the money though is it... Everyone knows someone into computers and everyone into computers can probably halve those prices
    Not with a legit version of the OS (or at least I believe you'd be pressed to get everything within that price with legit Windows 7).

Plus at least in this case I don't have to do any work on the PC whatsoever.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I don't think you could beat that price building an all new machine. Admittedly that spec is far from new, and you might be able to source bits second-hand elsewhere, but then there's no warranty on any of it, and you know they're gonna come calling when it goes wrong...

Half-decent PSU + case + motherboard + processor is at least £100... and as @TheLibrarian says, OS don't come cheap - Windows 7 is £70, and XP ain't available to buy no more.

8. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Thank Post
    They are refurbished and run XP and come with 30 days warranty. I've just had a look at Bigpockets. they have a cheaper laptop, better spec and 3 months warranty. I'm sure they have desktops to beat their price and spec as well.

My mistake Windows 7.

10. Thanks to difinity from:

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    They are refurbished and run XP and come with 30 days warranty. I've just had a look at Bigpockets. they have a cheaper laptop, better spec and 3 months warranty. I'm sure they have desktops to beat their price and spec as well.

My mistake Windows 7.
    I'd not heard of Big Pockets before - thank you.

Thank Post
    I've used them for years, never had any problem with their service or quality of their 2nd user laptops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bigpockets have always been quite good, however I've only ever personally used them for little odds and sods and their Bags of Crap deals

As for licenses, when buying second hand (when buying CAREFULLY, I shall add) there's no reason why a licence should just dissappear from a machine when it's sold on. 15" flatscreens are pennies on eBay, it's a 2ghz P4 which is literally worthless, memory is pennies, 40gb hard drives get thrown out everywhere. I'm not belittling this deal or company, I'm just pointing out that with careful shopping you can easily cut that price by half (obviously not when you add in the benefit-benefits) 30 day warranty... if you buy a PC from eBay and it's not working as described you've got the same. I've seen some better deals coming from profit making companies like ICT Direct which are worth looking at instead.

My big "thing" is value for money and making sure people don't get stung. Don't get me wrong, this isn't rip-off of the century, it's a you can do better.[

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread