General Chat Thread, Google+ in General; I have it... now what?
I totally forgot about a Google account I made a while back, I made it ...
19th February 2012, 04:10 PM #1
I have it... now what?
I totally forgot about a Google account I made a while back, I made it to get a Japan only demo of a PSP game [Which was subsequently never released in the UK/US...]
So, now I have Google+ and no clue what it's about other than it's hipster facebook.
Also, anyone know how to auto login to Google chrome? Without cookies/history being a factor?
I've set LastPass to ask for login when chrome opens, but iGoogle doesn't like it.
IDG Tech News
20th February 2012, 02:23 PM #2
Plenty of Edugeek folks on there, I use it over Facebook myself as the interface in Facebook seems too cluttered and difficult for my liking.
A quick survival guide:
1) Don't use a fake name/photo (including personas or screen-names). Google have been getting very 'stick-up-their-a**e' about this rule and suspend you if you don't use your real name.
2) Use Circles! You have built in circles for Friends, Family and Acquaintences and you can add more. Start with an Edugeek circle as there are plenty of us on there. Each post can be then assigned to a specific circle, person or anyone in your circles. You can add multiple people/circles to a post.
3) Use the Public and Anyone in Friend's Circles settings carefully. It's not Facebook but treat post sensitivity with the same common sense rules. Keep any drunk or NSFW antics to your Friends circle! And don't add the kids in case you have anything unsuitable set to Anyone In Circles by accident.
4) To mention people in a post, use + followed by their name. Google also helps by providing autocomplete. This also works in the box where you set permissions for who can view the post, and having only +Person Name will send the post to only that person.
5) You don't even need a webcam or mic to Hangout. But they are more fun with!
Last edited by CAM; 20th February 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Reason: I keep finding typos. :*(
20th February 2012, 02:48 PM #3
... and put your edugeek posting name in the "other names" part of your profile, to help others identify you!
20th February 2012, 03:34 PM #4
There has been a tweet / quote going round the last few days which probably sums up my thoughts on G+...
"Google Plus is like the gym. Everyone's a member, but nobody goes."
2 Thanks to IrritableTech:
CAM (20th February 2012), tech_guy (20th February 2012)
20th February 2012, 03:46 PM #5
Where should you post your status?
Originally Posted by IrritableTech
20th February 2012, 03:49 PM #6
LOL so true. They dropped the ball early on with their persona banning sprees and the service has never recovered since.
20th February 2012, 03:57 PM #7
28th January 2013, 10:34 PM #8
12 months later and Google+ is now the 2nd biggest social networking site - with more active users than twitter.
Google Plus Becomes World's No. 2 Social Network After Facebook, Knocking Off Twitter
29th January 2013, 09:01 AM #9
I love the layout of google+ shame only about 5 of my friends are on it and use it over spambook
29th January 2013, 09:30 AM #10
One more time for the folks at the back.
By russdev in forum Educational Software
Last Post: 6th October 2009, 09:06 PM
By russdev in forum General Chat
Last Post: 6th September 2005, 11:31 AM
By Dos_Box in forum Educational Software
Last Post: 19th August 2005, 03:32 PM
By Inox in forum Educational Software
Last Post: 25th July 2005, 05:12 PM
By ninjabeaver in forum Downloads
Last Post: 14th July 2005, 03:55 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)