+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Gove to ban term time holidays. in General; Originally Posted by hit That would be a nightmare! I live on a point where three boroughs meet. My youngest ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hit View Post
    That would be a nightmare! I live on a point where three boroughs meet. My youngest goes to primary in the borough we live in, my eldest in the second and the Mrs and I work in the third. There are loads of other parents in our area that are in the same position. we would never get a holiday together (maybe not such a bad thing )
    the school I work in is in Dorset but the high school it feeds into is in Poole, and one year the councils didnt co-ordinate their holidays so people had one child having one week off at half term, and another having the following one. There was such an outcry that the councils promised to consult on holiday dates in future years

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hit View Post
    a second degree in psychology, 3 post grad certs (one being a PGCE)
    T'other 1/2 has a second degree in Psychology and obviously as a teacher, that PGCE

and therefore think that we may be better placed to teach our child elementary mathematics.
    Should it ever come to that my line would be: Stay out of my life and I'll stay out of yours i.e. if I wasn't forced to 'engage' with a bunch of superfluous unwanted homework I wouldn't have cause to teach Sprogette via the 'wrong' methods.

I am a bit sympathetic towards the school case though - decent differentiation at Primary is an idiotically unrealistic ambition given that there is just one teacher and around 30 quite different kids, especially in this all-inclusive age when several of those kids are likely to have serious 'behavioural issues' that seriously undermine the other's education.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In respect to the calculation issue my sympathies lie with the school.
    Firstly you should bear in mind that the school will probably have had the calculation strategy imposed on them by the LA.
    Secondly any calculation method I have come across is usually a breaking down of traditional methods in smaller steps which are easier to understand, as children go up the years the steps are combined until they are using the traditional method.
    Thirdly, if exam boards are looking for the use of a particular method in a calculation you may be doing your children no favours in forcing them to follow a different method.

Its easy to criticise schools and teacher and think you know best for your own child though

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,935 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The nursery where my child will be going to actively encouraged us to teach our daughter what we could before they get there EG letters, numbers etc.

Whilst my daughter doesn't know the order of the letters, she can tell you any letter you put in front of her, including the umlaut and essette letters of the German language.

She can also count to 50 (although occasionally misses 13,15 and 17) and can count to 10 in Spanish and German also. She can also do English, German and Spanish nursery rhymes.

She can also write the letters C, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, Q, S, T, U, V, W, X and Y. On top of this, she can write 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 0.

Along with that she can spell words (using sound out method) cat, dog, bus, mum, dad, nan, pig. She also does baby sign language confidently as well.

She is yet to reach 3 (she will be 3 in may), and teachers I know said I was setting a bad example as it undermines the work that they do....I explained that we were asked (and backed up in writing) to teach her as much as possible before she goes to nursery. The reason behind it is so the nursery can see the parents that try with the children rather than those that use the tv as the babysitter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,633 Posts
    There is no harm in teaching the alphabet @nephilim in my view. My daughter could both read and write before going to school. However, do make sure that she understands the phonetic alphabet, letter sounds (ah, buh, cuh) rather than names (Ay, Bee, Cee), as this will help her with phonics when reading. Our EYFS are carefully to emphasise sounds with the children... I hear them regularly doing this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    wouldnt a solution be to stop schools all having holidays at the same time so say all holidays in say Bradford are 2 weeks ahead/behind Leeds (except christmas)
    No. Because I work as a teacher in Swansea, my wife works in another county amd my boy will go to school in Carmarthenshire. The WAG said they were trying to get LEAs to schedule holidays at the same time.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,935 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Blog Entries
    She know's both sets, phonetically and their names. We play her scrabble game every day and she is getting very good with spellings. Like I said she spells words out phonetically and sounds out the word as she gets close also

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    The nursery where my child will be going to actively encouraged us to teach our daughter what we could before they get there EG letters, numbers etc.

Whilst my daughter doesn't know the order of the letters, she can tell you any letter you put in front of her, including the umlaut and essette letters of the German language.

She can also count to 50 (although occasionally misses 13,15 and 17) and can count to 10 in Spanish and German also. She can also do English, German and Spanish nursery rhymes.

She can also write the letters C, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, Q, S, T, U, V, W, X and Y. On top of this, she can write 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 0.

Along with that she can spell words (using sound out method) cat, dog, bus, mum, dad, nan, pig. She also does baby sign language confidently as well.

She is yet to reach 3 (she will be 3 in may), and teachers I know said I was setting a bad example as it undermines the work that they do....I explained that we were asked (and backed up in writing) to teach her as much as possible before she goes to nursery. The reason behind it is so the nursery can see the parents that try with the children rather than those that use the tv as the babysitter.
    Agree with you totally. If more of this was done then maybe the Gov wouldn't be moaning about falling standards. we are teaching our 19 month old son various bits and bobs. in both Welsh and English. He learns fast.

The best thing I have taught him is that rugby is better than football. lolol.

Gareth

9. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

sonofsanta (20th February 2012)

Thank Post
    When my now 13 yr old started at infant school he could both read and write, I was particularly gobsmacked by the Headteacher telling us off as it was their job to do it. At secondary school I had to help him with a rather strange way of long division taught by the school as he couldn't get his head around it. I showed him the way I was taught at junior school about 40 years ago which works as well now as then and he got it. The teachers have berated me more than once because "they have degrees and know how to teach". I, unfortunately do not have a degree, however I went to school when teachers really did know how to teach.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    No. Because I work as a teacher in Swansea, my wife works in another county amd my boy will go to school in Carmarthenshire. The WAG said they were trying to get LEAs to schedule holidays at the same time.

Gareth
    fair enough there are always exceptions that it wont work for but if all leas have holidays at the same time holiday firms arnt going to change their pricing why would they?

as to what you should teach kids before they go to school my mum (who works in nursey as an nta (qualified as a nursery nurse)) is always shocked about what parents expect the school to teach including manners and how to use a knife and fork as an example

Thank Post
    When I read this yesterday they said it was to combat regular Truancy, I don't regard one week in the acedemic year as regular truancy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    fair enough there are always exceptions that it wont work for but if all leas have holidays at the same time holiday firms arnt going to change their pricing why would they?
    Not optimistic about the prices changing, but I think staggering holidays somehow would be a good thing.

is always shocked about what parents expect the school to teach including manners and how to use a knife and fork as an example
    This is kind of my point. Don't recall whether Sprogette knew her A-Z when starting, probably did, but I really don't think that matters much because they do lots of it at school. We're still doing a form of bedtime reading with an 8.5 yo who can readily devour books herself, coz that's still what is supposed to happen in her universe, but I'm mostly interested in using home time for all the things school won't teach her. It's difficult to explain succinctly, but home time here is supposed to be, and often is, a bit like some extended Brownies session (YMMV but here they're brilliant at introducing the kids to all sorts of interesting things[1] in addition to the more obvious creative and outdoor adventure type stuff).

[1] For instance, School has 'em standing at set distances in the corridors with model sun & planets, Brownies took them all to an observatory and sent them home with a bunch of constellations to (eagerly) find in the night sky.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 20th February 2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: [1]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't know why it is so difficult I always had my holidays in holiday time! Why do people think they should fly their kids round the world for holidays.

Thank Post
    It's only £100 fine, you would probably save 10x that by booking a holiday in term time, it's worth taking the fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Don't know why it is so difficult I always had my holidays in holiday time! Why do people think they should fly their kids round the world for holidays.
    It's not about that.

a quick and simple look at just about every place that offers flights, holidays, accomodation, and even restaurants will hike prices around certain events.

Ever tried going away Valentines weekend? You'll pay double what you would have paid the weekend before.

Look at going to somewhere in August, anywhere at all..... And look at the same place say from July 1st-7th, or September 14th-21st.

A quick search I did on Thomson, the cheapest in August I got for 1 week in Costa del Sol was £600 per person. In July, just 2 weeks earlier was £300 for the same place.

Do the same again say for October half term, February half term, Xmas/Easter/May holiday..... you'll see prices go up between 2 and 10 times the price, for the same thing in the same place. And that's not just for abroad, you'll find it for the UK too; Pontins, Center Parcs, Butlins, even most travelodge/premier inn etc will massively bump up prices for the same periods.

Unfortunately, there is NOTHING the government can do to fix this.

If they made it law that companies cannot differentiate costs for school holidays, they will simply raise prices on term-time holidays. We've seen this with Car insurance, where they made it law that you can't charge different rates on wheither your male/female.... Male prices didn't come down to meet females, females insurance costs went up to meet males.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast