+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, A question for secondary NM's - Priorities for the next 3 years in General; Hi fellow Edugeekers, A question for you NM's/Techs in Seconday Schools. I have an Interview coming up and have been ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A question for secondary NM's - Priorities for the next 3 years

Hi fellow Edugeekers,

A question for you NM's/Techs in Seconday Schools.

I have an Interview coming up and have been asked to prepare a presentation about the 'Priorities for ICT at (schoolname) for the next three years?'

I have a list in my head already, but I'm wondering what your opionions are.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are we talking educational, technical, management or a mixture?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not specified - so I assume it's a mix.

The interview panel consists of 2 teaching staff, the bursar and the govenor responsible for ICT provision.

Thank Post
    provisions for the new computer science curriculum,
    assesment of the value of cloud based services vs. conventional applications,
    virtualisation,
    Moving towards BYOD establishments,
    integrated ways of working in that BYOD establishment,
    energy efficiency,
    the offering of (at a price) secondary school equipment and knowledge to primary schools,
    making equipment pay for itself by using it for fee paying courses outside school hours
    Staffing provision for the 24/7 school
    The role of the network manager in the determination of requirement process

just a few of the things that have been discussed recently over coffee.

5. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Mr.Ben (16th February 2012)

Thank Post
    I would firstly suggest doing a little research on the school and what it offers already or has in place, that can give you an idea if there are things you can utilise, for example managed wireless could tie in well with things like mobile devices like the Ipad or equivalent and how they can be utilised correctly for staff and students etc.
    @Oaktech has some good ones to start you off, others could include

Communication - e.g. VOiP
    Access to resources 24/7 - MIS, email, My Documents etc

7. Thanks to Max_Power from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Find out what they do for a VLE, and if you can find out if they make good use of it.
    Look for some quick wins ... these could be cost savings by extending the use of existing hardware / software to other areas. This could range from soft are used in Science (e.g. data loggers) also being used in Geography ... and the data being used in maths and ICT ... which leads into joined up work between different parts of the school ... if that is something they are looking at or already do.

Mid range look at helping the school decide what types of technology to use ... BYOD might be popular but it requires investment in infrastructure, time for staff to adapt how they teach / student learn ... so if that is an end goal you could talk about the tech steps on the way through, including how you can invest a certain amount each year and get an immediate result. You could say that you are going down the RDP route for learners to access resources on their own devices ... this could give a quick win for staff doing reports from home without needing to invest in other tools.

Long range ... try not to predict the tech future ... it is a waste of breadth for many things. Instead try to show how you would review and adapt what you have and how you will approach the need to change.

Improvise, adapt, overcome ... I'm sure some folk hear will recognise that phrase.

9. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    Some good things on this list, good point on the "Find out what the school has to offer" - check their current website.

It really does depend on what is currently available at the school. If it was this School then:
    Voice over IP
    Video Conference
    Increased reliability/redundancy (recently installed a home drive system, one server goes down other picks up)
    Complete site wide Wireless Coverage (currently @90%)
    Upgrade to Windows 7 from XP on all machines - again currently getting there
    Further Dev on VLE/External Access to everything - this should all be done within the next 12 months (we are not long a Frog School)
    All old PCs/Laptops replaced with good equipment - again we should be done after the next bunch of purchasing.
    I would like to at some stage train staff more.

So I hope the above add to your ideas dont be afraid to use them all, it does depend on the School/budget/smt and what the School Ethos is on IT. If like us IT mad then the entire list would be loved.

11. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    I have an Interview coming up and have been asked to prepare a presentation about the 'Priorities for ICT at (schoolname) for the next three years?'
    Lol wut.

That sounds so dodgy. You don't even work there and they're expecting you to do their 3 year ICT proposal?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not, it's a high level post (depending on what the individual school thinks about ICT) and it would be quite a good judge of someone's ability and forethought as well as pulling on experience they should have for the post.
    Sorry I can't add anything else, 1. I'm not an NM and 2. the other replies seem to have covered the things I would have suggested anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Lol wut.

That sounds so dodgy. You don't even work there and they're expecting you to do their 3 year ICT proposal?
    I did something similar for an interview about 6 months ago - it was more ideas which you could implement which could move on what they had.

Personally my thing for the next three years would be supporting staff increasing the use of the technology provided. Especially with the up coming ICT Curric Changes.

Toby

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread