+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
General Chat Thread, Check my plan in General; dont forget unboxing time and Security marking taking serial numbers, this takes forever but is essential...
  1. #16
    round2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    986
    Thank Post
    193
    Thanked 142 Times in 100 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    dont forget unboxing time and Security marking taking serial numbers, this takes forever but is essential

  2. Thanks to round2it from:

    Jollity (18th February 2012)

  3. #17

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,640
    Thank Post
    1,774
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts
    Rep Power
    767
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    dont forget unboxing time and Security marking taking serial numbers, this takes forever but is essential
    Call it admin time and allow for time for logging what you remove to take it off the asset register... along with time to register extended warranties, etc.

    Also allow time for sorting out printing. It can be a PITA persuading printers to behave when you are making such a radical change to the network.

    Have you allowed time for sorting out compatibility of non-network peripherals that may be room/machine specific such as in science? I'm thinking dataloggers, microscopes... ?

  4. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

    Jollity (18th February 2012)

  5. #18

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,786
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    348
    Not sure if it clears activ primary but aslong as the drivers are compatible with both versions of the software you can.run them alongside each other.

    Toby

  6. #19
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    801
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 165 Times in 134 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    What about your infrastructure? Have you considered wireless? Or are you going to be letting staff/students plug/unplug the network cables everytime they use the laptops? This if you have a laptop trolley to store and charge them. With the laptop trolley's, if they are going to be mobile (eg with wheels) or static, use the laptops own chargers or built in ones, then ensure that the sockets that you use can handle the power requirements (we had a laptop trolley that kept on tripping the circuit they were on, due to the amount of power it was using).

    With regards to the laptop, it's not just the laptop you have to think about. It's also the warranty, alot of warranties with cover the hardware from hardware faults for 3 years, however they won't cover the laptop from accidential damage (that we see so much of in school's, if you catch my drift).

    Also, if your school uses any old software, you may want to test them out first or update them. While compatibility is better for older software packages (compared to Vista), there is no guarantee that all old software packages will work with Win 7.

    The time to invetigate GPO's, increase that. This is a complex area.

  7. Thanks to wagnerk from:

    Jollity (18th February 2012)

  8. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    214
    Thank Post
    260
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    dont forget unboxing time and Security marking taking serial numbers, this takes forever but is essential
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Call it admin time and allow for time for logging what you remove to take it off the asset register... along with time to register extended warranties, etc.
    This kind of stuff was supposed to be included in "Unpacking laptops and setting up in trolley - 6hr", but I had not considered all the aspects you point out. It also occurs to me that I will likely have to do this on two occasions, once for each suite, so I will split it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Also allow time for sorting out printing. It can be a PITA persuading printers to behave when you are making such a radical change to the network.
    Yes that would probably be worth adding. I have had a heck of time with getting some older printers to work properly with Windows 7, though fortunately the printers here are pretty new.

    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Have you allowed time for sorting out compatibility of non-network peripherals that may be room/machine specific such as in science? I'm thinking dataloggers, microscopes... ?
    I had not thought of data loggers. I think science do have some. I was thinking they could make do with using them on the science room's PC for the time being. However I probably ought to get the software into the image if possible, so they probably should be done in advance.

    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Not sure if it clears activ primary but aslong as the drivers are compatible with both versions of the software you can.run them alongside each other.
    I do not really want to run them alongside each other because I think it would cause support headaches. For a start, the saved files from ActivInspire are not compatible with ActivPrimary. However removing the shortcuts to ActivPrimary may be enough to prevent it being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    What about your infrastructure? Have you considered wireless?
    A Ruckus wireless system has already commissioned for installation at Easter.

    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    With the laptop trolley's, if they are going to be mobile (eg with wheels) or static, use the laptops own chargers or built in ones, then ensure that the sockets that you use can handle the power requirements (we had a laptop trolley that kept on tripping the circuit they were on, due to the amount of power it was using).
    The trolleys will be kept in one place as there are too many stairs and narrow corridors to move them. Thank you for the tip on checking the power requirements. I should put in some time for planning and discussions on exactly where we are going to store the things, including checking issues like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    With regards to the laptop, it's not just the laptop you have to think about. It's also the warranty, alot of warranties with cover the hardware from hardware faults for 3 years, however they won't cover the laptop from accidential damage (that we see so much of in school's, if you catch my drift).
    I see your point. Aside from buying desktops, which is almost certainly not an option, do you have any suggestions for ameliorating the issue? Perhaps insurance would cover it, though I am guessing that would be prohibitively expensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    Also, if your school uses any old software, you may want to test them out first or update them. While compatibility is better for older software packages (compared to Vista), there is no guarantee that all old software packages will work with Win 7.
    I will double check, but I have not found any such software yet. All that seems to be in use is web-based stuff, standard software like Office, and TextEase.

    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    The time to invetigate GPO's, increase that. This is a complex area.
    Roger!

  9. #21

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,044
    Thank Post
    1,315
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Rep Power
    692
    The points I would have raised would be:
    More time for GPOs and printers
    Possibly more time for creating image if this includes looking into msi creation for old software or conversely trying to find the CD for the software to install it on the machine to be imaged
    Spend some time choosing a trolley - they vary a lot - get one that has customised power so that you dont have the adaptors flailing around inside the thing. Or if you do, make sure you choosed one where the adaptors are easy to get to.
    IF the laptops are to stay in one place, consider a solution to fix them to the bench - I have seen a school use velcro to great effect - sounds odd but a wide strip of stick-on velcro under the laptop and a similar bit on the bench allowed for some adjustment of position but kept the laptop secure.

  10. Thanks to witch from:

    Jollity (18th February 2012)

  11. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    214
    Thank Post
    260
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Spend some time choosing a trolley - they vary a lot - get one that has customised power so that you dont have the adaptors flailing around inside the thing. Or if you do, make sure you choosed one where the adaptors are easy to get to.
    The current front runner is a LapCabby trolley. They do not have customized power, but they do have individual slots at the back for each adapter. You can get to the adapters fairly easily but you have to take a back panel off. The wires to plug into the laptops are clipped next to each laptop tray. Do you see any potential problems with that setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    IF the laptops are to stay in one place, consider a solution to fix them to the bench - I have seen a school use velcro to great effect - sounds odd but a wide strip of stick-on velcro under the laptop and a similar bit on the bench allowed for some adjustment of position but kept the laptop secure.
    They will almost certainly be moved too much for that, but I like the idea. We should also velcro down the children.

  12. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    214
    Thank Post
    260
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Thank for your suggestions everyone. Here is the current state of the plan:
    • Determining most suitable, best value laptop model requires consultation with SMT, teachers and governors 20 hr
    • Determining the best sites for the laptop trolleys, making space, ensuring sufficient power availability - 3hr
    • Ensuring group policy and other settings set up appropriately for Windows 7 12 hr
    • Setting up Windows 7 default profile and mandatory pupil profile 16hr
    • Resolving compatibility issues of SoftEase 6hr (potentially a lot less if all works fine)
    • Checking for issues with ActivInspire on our system - 2hr
    • Installing ActivInspire and removing ActivPrimary 2hr
    • Preparing and training Teachers - 5hr
    • Investigating alternatives to Impero - 2hr
    • Installing Impero and removing Netops 2hr
    • Training teachers in using Impero - 2hr
    • Testing Impero 4hr (spread over a month or so)
    • Potentially if Impero found unsuitable installing and testing further monitoring software not estimated
    • Resolving compatibility issues with microscope and data logging software on Windows 7 - 4hr
    • Unpacking laptops and setting up in trolleys including admin time, for example for security marking and recording in asset register 8hr per suite
    • Preparing one laptop to provide image 12hr
    • Ensuring printer compatibility with new setup - 4hr
    • Setting up and testing image 4hr
    • Deploying image 4hr (largely unattended)
    • Training teachers in use of laptops, Windows 7, Office 2010 training material and training sessions 8hr
    • Additional support for teachers in use of new laptops, Windows 7, Office 2010 8hr (spread over multiple weeks)
    • Removing existing ICT Suite, disposing of or storing machines - 8hr
    • Preparing image for current suite machines for use in pre-school 6hr
    • Setting up and testing image - 2hr
    • 15% Contingency time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Please help fact check my report comparing Moodle and Fronter
    By cherylluzet in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 5th March 2010, 11:29 AM
  2. Check my CV?
    By nephilim in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 6th December 2009, 03:40 PM
  3. checking my other pc
    By mikeymike in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th August 2008, 01:30 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th June 2007, 08:31 AM
  5. Can a few people check my person specification?
    By googlemad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14th February 2007, 03:37 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •