+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Looking for 'new' car in General; Originally Posted by peterp Dont go Diesel ifyou are not doing a lot of miles. Particulate filters dont get hot ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peterp View Post
    Dont go Diesel ifyou are not doing a lot of miles. Particulate filters dont get hot enough to regen unless they run for a good 45 mins. Short trips will seriously reduce the life of the car.
    Not all diesels have a DPF, though there are of course other (If debatable) reasons not to get a diesel for short journeys.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    I had a Yaris on holiday and it was pretty good.

I've got a Focus now (1.6, 52 plate) and it costs a bomb to run. 170 odd for road tax, and as I only drive in the city the fuel economy is shocking.
    I've got one about the same age. I get 400 miles out of a full tank. Pretty pants really, the Golf I had before it with the same sized engine got at least 500. I miss that car

Thank Post
    A friend of mine is selling his Subaru Impreza Estate

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I've got one about the same age. I get 400 miles out of a full tank. Pretty pants really, the Golf I had before it with the same sized engine got at least 500. I miss that car
    The Focus seems to have a small tank though, don't sure if mine is popped from a blocked breather or something but 47 or so litres is as much as it'll take, and it'll do 410 miles on that - TDCi engine. Not great economy, but it's old.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    The Focus seems to have a small tank though, don't sure if mine is popped from a blocked breather or something but 47 or so litres is as much as it'll take, and it'll do 410 miles on that - TDCi engine. Not great economy, but it's old.
    The new engines (56 plate onward) are better. I can get 45mpg around town, which gives me 500 miles on a standard tank. If I'm doing distance driving I'll get 50mpg+, or 550 per tank.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Another vote for "Don't go diesel"

You don't do a high enough mileage to make any fuel savings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    The new engines (56 plate onward) are better. I can get 45mpg around town, which gives me 500 miles on a standard tank. If I'm doing distance driving I'll get 50mpg+, or 550 per tank.
    Yeah, have heard so. If it's a 2.0 it's also the PSA lump which is far superior - the 1.8TDCi is just the ancient 1.8 diesel (which was just the reworked 1.6 from the early 80s) reworked after all. I reckon I'm getting around 42-43mpg combined, but I don't dodder around. My DMF is in pieces in the bottom of the bell housing too...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Another vote for "Don't go diesel"

You don't do a high enough mileage to make any fuel savings.
    I'm a diesel owner myself and I'd also say don't get one if you're only doing short local trips. Even if your model doesn't have a DPF it will have an EGR valve that will get gummed and sooted up, and depending where it's sited on the car may be an expensive, drop the engine job to replace!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    According to the manual, it has a 55 litre tank which is the same size as the Golf's iirc. The Focus is newer than the Golf and has the same sized engine. I really regret getting the Focus, it's nowhere near as good as the Golf was. Both cars had/have a 1.6l 16v petrol engine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Honda Civic 05> are a great option, the diesels are amazing performers both power and economy, they arn't too bad on the insurance look funky and a breath of something different/new. Not only that they are super practical, the 5 doors are neatly designed to hide the handles, loads of front and rear room along with storage compartments plus a very neat rear folding seat system which not only folds flat but fold up to create a large storage area where your rear seats would be.

Check out the what car review video and the seats are shown at 1:45 in. The worst point is rear visibility but to be honest I use side mirrors far more!

Having owned both a 1.8 TDCi focus, a 1.6 TDCI focus and a 1.6 TDCI Fiesta id say the focus is a better ride but the 1.6 is a waste of time on them if your going for diesel and their 1.8 isn't the best performance either for your economy returned. The 2.0 starts to get a little thirsty compared to the smaller engines and other car alternatives. I average the very high 50 MPG's commuting to and from work along country roads in my fiesta, great little engine but im too after something a little bigger!
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 12th March 2012 at 12:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123