+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Google Drive in General; They may be late to the market with a few things, but we all end up using them anyway! Google ...
    Thank Post

Google Drive

They may be late to the market with a few things, but we all end up using them anyway! Google seem set to announce the launch of Google Drive within weeks...

Google: Targeting Dropbox With Google Drive

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I don't understand what the difference is? Google accounts already have online storage.
    Is this an application that maps a drive, like gladinet or a non-story?

Thank Post
    I'll probably make use of it .. I use DropBox at the moment and have been using iDisk, but obviously the latter is to disappear in a few months time so I've been looking for something that is all tied in nicely, and Google Drive sounds like it would be the winner for me ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I don't understand what the difference is? Google accounts already have online storage.
    Is this an application that maps a drive, like gladinet or a non-story?
    Google docs does have the ability to hold non document type files.

I took it to mean more space (docs only has one gig on normal google accounts) and possibly automatic folder sync like dropbox & sugarsync etc.

5. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

CyberNerd (9th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Google docs does have the ability to hold non document type files.
    Yes it does. I have tonnes of non-document files which I use regularly ,exe's zip files etc

I took it to mean more space (docs only has one gig on normal google accounts) and possibly automatic folder sync like dropbox & sugarsync etc.
    It might mean more space. Google docs currently has unlimited space for documents though, but you are limited to 1GB for non-google documents.

Thank Post
    I read it as well as being something that has the ability to sync to a local folder like DropBox .. it would make it an ideal solution really .. have everything up there, edit documents online, share documents, etc.

8. Thanks to soveryapt from:

CyberNerd (9th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    I read it as well as being something that has the ability to sync to a local folder like DropBox .. it would make it an ideal solution really .. have everything up there, edit documents online, share documents, etc.
    That would be useful

I hope it is - and that it is available for apps accounts. We'd ditch our staff and student home drives in a flash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Yes it does. I have tonnes of non-document files which I use regularly ,exe's zip files etc
    It might mean more space. Google docs currently has unlimited space for documents though, but you are limited to 1GB for non-google documents.
    I trust you read my post which says it does allow for non document type storage? It is right that you point out that GD has unlimited space for google docs but sadly not office docs, openoffice docs etc.

Me too, looking forward to seeing the product. I really will be running out of things that google can not do for me! No need for anyone to suggest eggs, and baskets though...

Thank Post
    I trust you read my post which says it does allow for non document type storage? It is right that you point out that GD has unlimited space for google docs but sadly not office docs, openoffice docs etc.
    yes, I wasn't disagreeing with you! I have tonnes of non documents there

Auto syncing via a mapped drive would be the icing on the cake!

12. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

IrritableTech (9th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Me too, looking forward to seeing the product. I really will be running out of things that google can not do for me! No need for anyone to suggest eggs, and baskets though...
    Thing is, you should have a local backup at least of any files anyway if that's the case, so even if it does go wrong, you should still have them somewhere, and if you use DropBox to sync the same folder (or SkyDrive etc) then you have a failsafe (or so goes the theory! lol)
    Last edited by soveryapt; 9th February 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love Dropbox. This will have to be pretty darn good for me to want to switch!

Thank Post
    Thing is, you should have a local backup at least of any files anyway if that's the case, so even if it does go wrong, you should still have them somewhere, and if you use DropBox to sync the same folder (or SkyDrive etc) then you have a failsafe (or so goes the theory! lol)
    Absolutely. It was more the thought that relying more and more on one service provider, the more chance I have of losing everything. Not because google is going anywhere (although they do have a habit of dropping services that are under used) but more because it may only take one silly statement on google+ for example, to have my account shut down, and lose all of the services I've come to rely on.

Thank Post
    I really will be running out of things that google can not do for me! No need for anyone to suggest eggs, and baskets though...
    Well, they haven't put Andrex out of business yet.

Thank Post
    Absolutely. It was more the thought that relying more and more on one service provider, the more chance I have of losing everything. Not because google is going anywhere (although they do have a habit of dropping services that are under used) but more because it may only take one silly statement on google+ for example, to have my account shut down, and lose all of the services I've come to rely on.
    You use Google+ .. you must work for them .. surely it's only Google staff that have accounts on there .. lol ..

EDIT: Ok, so I have a Google+ account, but I don't really USE it as such .. lol ..

Thank Post
    They have been trying to build this for a long long time. The original idea was to create a standard style 'my computer' drive with offline capabilities. Hope they have stuck with this idea, as it would be perfect for me. If you have a android phone you can use this drive as the default save to folder, nice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast