+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Falklands in General; Just a brief ask out of interest. What are peoples thoughts on the Falklands issue? It comes across to me ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries

Falklands

Just a brief ask out of interest. What are peoples thoughts on the Falklands issue?
    It comes across to me like the Argentines are being wholly unreasonable; if indeed the locals *want* to remain British then 1) clearly we're doing something right 2) the Argentines will offer far less or indeed worry/scare them and 3) it would therefore be a very bad thing if we handed the island back to subject the locals to whatever it is they don't want in the first place.
    Of course this is subject to the fact I don't think I've heard anything from the supposed locals, if those locals aren't all British people that were put there to keep colonisation or most of the political side of it tbh.
    As for the support militirisation (one aircraft carrier), who knows if there's any motive other than "training regimes" but with one of the Princes onboard I doubt it's anything more.

Thank Post
    Could this have anything to do with it>? BBC NEWS | Business | Oil billions beckon Falkland Islands

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is only renewed interest because there is believed to be large deposits of oil and gas below the island shelf.

Its posturing, their military has not developed much since the last conflict.

EDIT: Damn you @laserblazer

Thank Post
    I think Argentinian politicians see this issue as one they can score easy points over without having to actually do anything. A bit of Brit-bashing is lapped up by the masses.

William has been deployed there as an Air-Sea Rescue pilot; hardly an act of war. I believe the other deployment is one new destroyer. Essentially the population of the islands currently wish to remain British and we have said we won't discuss their future unless this changes, which is hard to argue with.

The real issue I suspect is who profits, and to what extent, from the oil in the area.

Edit: Damn you both.

Thank Post
    We have no aircraft carrier, and even if we did we don't have any planes to fly off it!

Miltirisation, maybe we could accused of that as we are sending a second warship down, a destroyer to support our frigate for a few months.

Argentina want the islands "back" but the islanders don't want to go, not surprising when I suspect a lot of them can remember the last invasion. The real question is, if no Oil/ Gas or any other valuble resource was being looked for and found how much woudl Argentina care right now? The answer is probably a lot less, but then would the British government be as bothered? Maybe not, then they are only defending principals, which we aren't very good at defending elsewhere.

Thank Post
    I think Argentinian politicians see this issue as one they can score easy points over without having to actually do anything. A bit of Brit-bashing is lapped up by the masses.
    +1
    It lets them take the focus off domestic issues and rile the population up against someone else other than the politicians. Surely they have better things to do than get all worked up over a bunch of islands they've had no control over for centuries.

Thank Post
    With all the oil revenue, the Falklands can create their own army and come to our aid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on the Falklands issue?
    Same as my thoughts on any other territory dispute.

"Your territory doesn't actually exist. Your borders are man-made and only exist on a map. Why do you feel the need to seperate the world? You sicken me. Go away."

Or words to that effect. Maybe with more swearing.

9. 4 Thanks to X-13:

stevenlong1985 (8th February 2012), SteveT (8th February 2012), synaesthesia (8th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Just a FYI HMS Dauntless is not on its way to the Falklands like reported this morning on the BBC news, its infact in Plymouth Devonport dockyard and isnt heading down there anytime soon..

Oh and we have ZERO carriers and Zero Harriers, all aircraft have to be launched form a runway, which of cause we have one on the islands now and have done scince the last conflict, theres always ever present tornados based on the islands.
    Last edited by kevbaz; 8th February 2012 at 09:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Having been there, and seen how 'British' the Falklanders are and how much they appreciate our intervention and continued presence on the Islands - I have to defend their right to freedom of choice to the hilt.
    These are people (and good ones) we're talking about here, whatever the political history of the area.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Could this have anything to do with it>? BBC NEWS | Business | Oil billions beckon Falkland Islands
    Much more likely that the Tories think they are going to loose the next election. Sound familiar?

Edit; I also happen to think that we should hang on to them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing is, they lost a war over it. That effectively means that they should shut up.

The locals want to remain under British rule, and it is written into their constitution that they should determine their own sovereignty - which was created via democratic methods.

Cameron was right when he said Argentina is being colonial here, there's no other way of looking at it.

Not to mention the Argentinians seem to lack understanding of simple words such as 'conqueror'. They have labelled Prince William 'William the Conqueror'. Only problem being is that you can't conquer something that's already yours...

Or the idea that we're militarising the area. We always have at least one ship on patrol there, and I'd guess a submarine too, much like I'd guess Argentina has ships patrolling its waters too. Sure, we're sending one of our newest vessels, but wouldn't you send your best to protect the heir to your royal throne?

This entire issue is akin to Russia and their flights right up to the edge of our airspace. They're trying to look big, to score cheap political points. Going to war over it would be ridiculous, and Argentina know they wouldn't have any international support for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    Just a FYI HMS Dauntless is not on its way to the Falklands like reported this morning on the BBC news, its infact in Plymouth Devonport dockyard and isnt heading down there anytime soon..
    She is being deployed, but hasn't yet. The HMS Montrose is on a 6 month deployment, and started that in October last year, so she's not due to be replaced until next month anyway.
    Last edited by localzuk; 8th February 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Home Economics teacher Susan Whitley was one of those killed by British forces during the Falklands War.

Falkland Islands Info Portal - History Articles

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    She is being deployed, but hasn't yet. The HMS Montrose is on a 6 month deployment, and started that in October last year, so she's not due to be replaced until next month anyway.
    Nope she not going im afraid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    Nope she not going im afraid.
    I'm going to believe the Royal Navy announcement at the moment... They don't usually make announcements about deployments and then not follow through.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information