+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Nikon D800 in General; Originally Posted by laptopsandspares Are you planning to get to Focus at the NEC in march to get "hands on" ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    Are you planning to get to Focus at the NEC in march to get "hands on" ahead of your purchase arriving? D
    I wasn't planning on attending - if I did I'd end up buying something else and not being able to really afford it. The D800 will be my only real purchase this year I think.
    During our summer holiday the wife and I along with other family members are hopefully going to visit Australia. So the camera bag will be in tow for that one! That's half the reason for upgrading now so I have the D800 for the trip - can't see us popping to Aus again any time soon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    Don't the US have a VAT scheme? I did google it but there seemed to be a lot of information on sales tax in the US but nothing definitive. Seems like a hefty price differential and although I could get a family friend to bring one back from the States, I've had warranty issues with my D300 and would prefer a UK product, just in case. Anyone care to point out the obvious point I've probably missed?
    Sales tax is basically the same thing, but I believe it's a much lower rate and set locally. I suspect we also have higher duties on imported good as well.

Bare in mind if you bring a brand new camera in from the states you should pay import duty and VAT on your arrival in the UK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Sales tax is basically the same thing, but I believe it's a much lower rate and set locally. I suspect we also have higher duties on imported good as well.

Bare in mind if you bring a brand new camera in from the states you should pay import duty and VAT on your arrival in the UK.
    Ahh, so sales tax is their version of VAT. I did wonder but reading up on it it seemed to vary so wildly in percentages (from 0 through to about 105) and from State to State I thought it might be a suplimental tax. That would explain why it's so much higher over here then.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    36.3 megapixels for when you need a picture the size of the moon!
    ... or a video of the moon.

Via: First impressions of the $2999 Nikon D800′s video mode « EOSHD

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12