+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, IT Technician Interview... in General; Hey All, Been a browser of the forum for a while now, some useful information on here, even for those ...

Thank Post

IT Technician Interview...

Hey All,
    Been a browser of the forum for a while now, some useful information on here, even for those not in the eduction sector! Well done guys and gals!

I have a job interview for a Junior ICT Technician for a local High School at the end of week, I'm wondering what sort of questions they will ask? The school has a large WiFi Network, I'm kind of expecting a question on my stance regarding the safety of WiFi in schools.

Could anybody help me out please? Give me some examples of questions they might ask? From those who have been interviewed and perhaps been on an interview panel? I would greatly appreciate it! If I get the job, you never know I might get you all a pint in return

Thanks!
    Echo..

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Re: IT Technician Interview...

The Echo? Are you from South Wales?

Thank Post

Afraid not, I'm a Midlands guy..

Thank Post

Expect a lot of none IT questions like if a child comes up and tells you a secrete but only if you promise not to tell, what do you do.

I also like to mention quick fix’s. IE do a temp quick fix to get things running during lessons and do the longer real fix later.

Thank Post

Agree on the 'what would you do if...' relating to childrens safety. Expect senarios and work through the solution as logically as you can... bear in mind things like security of wireless resources and the limitations in software or hardware that you may come up against due to licensing or budgets.

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lost of cps questions also about protection on the net as well

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by theecho
    Hey All,
    Been a browser of the forum for a while now, some useful information on here, even for those not in the eduction sector! Well done guys and gals!

I have a job interview for a Junior ICT Technician for a local High School at the end of week, I'm wondering what sort of questions they will ask? The school has a large WiFi Network, I'm kind of expecting a question on my stance regarding the safety of WiFi in schools.

Could anybody help me out please? Give me some examples of questions they might ask? From those who have been interviewed and perhaps been on an interview panel? I would greatly appreciate it! If I get the job, you never know I might get you all a pint in return

Thanks!
    Echo..
    What school is it?

Thank Post

Yes, you may well get the child safety questions and, as I did, "you're a young man and this is a girls school - how will you deal with the issues which might arise from that?".

You may also get questions on time management and work prioritisation. Unlike the business world in which you currently work, the Head's PC is not the most important one in the school - your first focus should be the curriculum PCs. The Head can go and do something else for an hour until you can get to them, but a student in the middle of a lesson cannot wait that long.

You may get a tour around the school from one of the students - how you interact with them could be a key part of the interview!

Funds are much tighter in a school, and everything must be justified by its benefit to the 'curriculum delivery' and the 'teaching and learning' (good buzz words to drop in if you can!), so they're probably looking for someone who will carefully evaluate things rather than go "oh, new shiny thing - I must get one". This might not be as relevant for a Junior Techie post, though.

If you are panel interviewed / have several interviews, expect each person to have a different agenda and selection criteria, i.e. the Head will probably be doing a character/personality interview while the IT Teacher / Co-ordinator is looking at your technical expertise. Find out who everyone who interviews you is and what their place in the school is - this should help you work out their focus (obviously this last one applies outside of education, too, so I might be telling you stuff you already know).

kerrymoralee9280

When's the interview? If you have a week or so before the interview I strongly recommend making at least a couple of visits to the school to have a tour and meet the staff/IT dept. You can then talk about your plans one to one, and get some good brainwaves in time for the interview as well as get a good idea of where the school is headed.

Also, it's good when the HT/IT dept can put a face to the name, and better if they can remember you for this. You want them to be thinking about you before you even enter the building.

Really, ring them up now and ask if you can pop up for a short visit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread