+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Erm, ok..... you try that then in General; Originally Posted by BKGarry It's not their fault really, We have the best, a part time teacher that gets me ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Erm, ok..... you try that then

Quote Originally Posted by BKGarry
    It's not their fault really,

We have the best, a part time teacher that gets me to take her register in sims every leason she is cocering instead of team teaching, the exact quote is "I didn't have them convert my blackboard to a whiteboard when i was still here so i will not switch from using a pen to a computer unless the pen will kill me"

She has been teaching at the school since the 60s and recently retired from full time teaching
    I'd don my BOFH hat for that and say 'its part of your job'...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i will not switch from using a pen to a computer unless the pen will kill me
    Is it a wireless pen?

Thank Post

lol, she is a good teacher, i have only had to do 1 3 times since septemeber so not too bad

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40
    We have web based email here. At the head's request, the teachers have had this as their home page for the last 18 months...

I get told at least once a month "I can't get onto the internet"

On further probing, it turns out that they are confused because their home page isn't google.
    We have just set up an internal home page, with links to websites of interest, email, Google and various key folders in the shared areas. It's funny how many people click on the link to Google and then type in the address bar when they want an Internet site, as they need to "get the Internet first".

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    It's funny how many people click on the link to Google and then type in the address bar when they want an Internet site, as they need to "get the Internet first".
    Or the old favourite: typing the address into the Google search box, and then clicking the link!

Andy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's funny how many people click on the link to Google and then type in the address bar when they want an Internet site, as they need to "get the Internet first".
    Lol I notice some of our lot do the exact same thing

Maybe they think the Internet is Google?

kerrymoralee9280

It's that sense of familiarity, like driving your whole life wearing your seat belt everytime then one day getting in the car and not putting your seat belt on. You can guarantee that something feels missing.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Maybe they think the Internet is Google?
    Google would love that, wouldn't they! The fact that "to google" is a verb is success enough for them, surely, without actually becoming synonymous with the Internet. I suppose, Hoover and Cashpoint (a trademark of Lloyds bank) managed it...

I did have fun trying to explain to someone how it was possible to get some Internet pages but not others during a problem with our ISPs DNS pages. "But they'll all the Internet, so why can it only see some of them?" - I'm not quite sure what picture they have of the Internet, but there's clearly only one of it in the world, it would be Internets if it was on lots of servers, no? :-)

I also completely failed once to explain to my then-girlfriend how a 5% drink followed by another 5% drink does not make 10% alcohol. That's another thread altogether though!

kerrymoralee9280

I also completely failed once to explain to my then-girlfriend how a 5% drink followed by another 5% drink does not make 10% alcohol. That's another thread altogether though!
    Awesome! Typical though haha.

Thank Post

I'm not quite sure what picture they have of the Internet, but there's clearly only one of it in the world, it would be Internets if it was on lots of servers, no? :-)
    They don't have a picture of the internet. Most people have absolutely no clue how it works. Most people do not realise that websites are hosted on a server somewhere in the world. It just "works"... the internet is just one of these things that "happens". When I was about the age of 12, I had long begun to question how webpages got to my computer, so I did a google search and found a lot of useful information on the internet. I found it complicated at the time, but I was fascinated and kept going back to research more.

Oh and I'd never dream of trying to explain how DNS works to a non technical person. Webservers, yes, but not DNS.

Thank Post

Our webmail is playing up atm and I hear three or four times a day "The internet is down again' - everytime I answer with "Is the internet down or the email down?" Every time it's just the dodgy webmail - one day the internet connection will be down and I'll ignore their neeping...

(The admin staff that neeped 'INTERNET DOWN')

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by BKGarry
    Another was a group of students about 2 1/2 years ago (1 year after i started) we had a powercut in the school.
    the students ask "is the computer network working"
    "it is a powercut", i reply
    "yes but the servers have big batteries dont they"
    "and i answer but how will you get on to them if there is no power for the computers"

Considering i work in a grammar school, and this is the cream of the crop!

Gaz
    We had a partial powercut the other day, some of the computers worked, but all the infrastructure was on the fuse that had blown. Some girls knocked on the door:
    "why isn't the internet working"
    "There's a problem with power"
    "nah man [see it's a quality school], you should get wireless"
    "erm, ok, but 1: Wireless still has to plug back in to the router, so it's not completely wireless and 2: there's no power to power the wireless. When they invent wireless power and we can afford a huge generator we'll let you know"

Then her mates started taking the p155 out of her.

Also had other staff asking if we could plug our (hardwired to mains) 42U cab full of switches into the few plugs that worked, which would have been ok, except that the cab that they connected to had no power anyway!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Oh and I'd never dream of trying to explain how DNS works to a non technical person. Webservers, yes, but not DNS.
    Me either - I hadn't intended on explaining it, I simply said "some sites won't be available" and was met with "why? they're all on the Internet, so surely if I can see one page, I can see them all".

I think you're right though - I don't think people register that web sites are a collection of files held on a computer somewhere. But then, to some extent, why does your average user need to know how it works, just that it does? It's like my car, I don't fully understand how it works, but I am able to use to get me from A to B; when something goes wrong, I go to someone who does understand it. For me, that is sufficient.

Thank Post

More than once a teacher has phoned up and said "the kids keep getting their IT coursework image searches blocked by the proxy".

Okay, what are they searching for?

"Puff suck switch"*

....... and why do you think the results get blocked?

* used by people with motor function impairment to control computers / hardware - a tube you blow into or suck on.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Or the old favourite: typing the address into the Google search box, and then clicking the link!

Andy
    Wouldnt be so bad if they clicked the normal link, but they click the "sponsored link" here. Google must be laughing all the way to the bank!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information