+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The question: How do I move from teaching into IT? in General; I saw the article below in the computer weekly magazine which atteracted my interest. I thought the last paragraph could ...
    Thank Post

The question: How do I move from teaching into IT?

I saw the article below in the computer weekly magazine which atteracted my interest.

I thought the last paragraph could be a topic of conversation.

Comments please

Alex

The question: How do I move from teaching into IT?
    After working as a physics teacher for six years, I have decided to train as an IT professional, but I am at a loss as to what qualifications will be best. I have started the Comptia A+ course, but I do not know what to do next. I am a family man so I will prefer to do something where I can begin to earn as I train.

The solution: Focus on Comptia A+, then get an MCSE

With no previous IT experience, the Comptia A+ course is the best starting point. It will teach all the basic skills required across a number of entry-level IT jobs.

The Comptia net+ course, which is a natural progression from the A+, could give you a bit of an advantage over your peers and provide the knowledge necessary to configure and operate a variety of networking products.

These qualifications are obtainable through fast-track teaching methods over four, seven, or 14 days, or through self-study, so you would not need to alter your working hours. As a teacher, you could complete these qualifications outside term time.

It is definitely worth investing in recognised qualifications so that you can apply for jobs with established firms. Targeting larger companies will benefit you in the long run, not only in terms of the broader experience they offer, but also because they are more likely to invest in your ongoing training.

Further down the line, the MCSE qualification would help elevate you as an expert in the operation of Windows applications and servers, taking you to the salary level that you are already accustomed to.

Thank Post

Re: The question: How do I move from teaching into IT?

lol... I take it you highlighted the last line

Thank Post

typical of the arrogance of teachers.
    "Oh I know, I'm brilliant, I'll become an IT expert, despite no experience"

Why not aim for brain surgeon?
    Perhaps we IT techs make it look too easy!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    Perhaps we IT techs make it look too easy!
    All too often I think we do, mainly because a lot of the 'problems' brought to us have very simple solutions - like plugging the blasted thing in!

I do get a smug satisfaction from fixing what looks like a huge problem with just a couple of keyboard shortcuts and handful of mouse clicks though! And if you can get in a couple of lines in a command window too all the better, as that just adds to the mystique!

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

to really add to the mystique, drape a cloth over the computer first

I hope he does go into IT, and gets laughed at by all the recruiters

Thank Post

Qualifications are all well and good but they only make up about 20% of the knowledge that you need as an IT professional, apart from that you also need to have a very analytical method of troubleshooting with frankly most people can't do well.

The adverts etc on TV make it look far too easy to walk into a highly paid IT job, stating the average salary is over £36grand etc.

I find that most teachers that SHOULD be good at IT are generally the ones who don't understand how things interact, in other words computing and business studies teachers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Halfmad.. don't forget ye olde 'typists' as well A computer is just an advanced typeright, yes?

Thank Post

Ric...

Yes I seemed to have made a keyboard slip and highlighted the last part. :twisted:

The word accustommed too made me chuckle and my instant thought was what else are they accustomed too :?:

Another topic of conversation.

On a serious note I think this highlights the point that in industry with the MSCE qualifications we could be considered as professionals on a par with our fellow professionals, i.e teachers, and should receive the equivalent renumeration.

Alex

Thank Post

I am amused at the quote on the pay. They think that we earn a lot? A shame that it is not really the truth (except for IT areas outside of education). Funny how IT bods in education earn less for having the same skills as an IT bod outside education!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Funny how IT bods in education earn less for having the same skills as an IT bod outside education!
    I'd argue we have to do more.

Where as in the Comercial sector you'd have a people filling specific roles within even a small IT department. So you'd have for example, a server guy, a network guy and a couple of desktop support guys.

In the same sized school (number of PC wise) you'd probably only have one or two techies filling all the above roles.

Thank Post

I'd have to agree with Geoff, I don't have any specific role, as the only IT person on site I do the whole lot. I can call upon central I.T. but it's very rare for me to do so and generally only on hardware (network equipment) specifically where I simply don't have the passwords to access it and do the work myself.

That wouldn't happen in a private company, there would be 3/4 people doing the same job (comms, desktop,servers, web sites) over 3/4 sites instead of 1 doing each site.

Thank Post

There are many comments that come to mind about that artical - sadly I can't bring myself to stop laughing long enough to type them, that I cause some offence to dumb-animals, sorry, teachers.

I do love the way that they assume that teaching the subject or any other subject is in anyway going to give them the ability to run a site. It is almost sad the way in which they are truly enclosed in the ivory tower of learning.

The other reality is that even in the 'real' world, IT pay is being squzeed hard by a great many of the 1990's & 00's wave of wannabe IT gurus.
    Too many, most not really upto it but being employed by thoses that know no better. Thoses that do really know it are leaving to other contires, quitting for a more relaxed lifstlye or dropping dead from two decades of stress and overwork.

Thank Post

Well since you're having so much fun, I guess I'll introduce myself, yet another "dumb animal", a frog in my case.

So unless there's a law that says that teachers are cursed never to have the right to aspire to a change of career - please, be kind enough to tell me if the qualifications quoted in the article would suit someone like me who:

knows her way around computers (can build one from scratch) but has got no proof of her IT skills - except for some informal collegues training on interactive whiteboards.

My teaching contract ends at the end of the year, and there maybe an opening in my school for an IT technician job and I'm considering going for it, as there will be training involved.
    Is 14K considered a normal starting salary?
    It is pretty low - so I'm thinking that I would earn the same amount doing part time supply and instead maybe I would be better off training for specific qualifications - but which ones?

Any advice welcome.

Thank Post

I would say that 14K is far above the normal staring salary. Many people on here will have started at below 10k, and still not have reached 14 yet.

Even though the job advertises that they will supply 'training' it may not be formal in the sense of industry recognised qualifications, merely shown how to do things by somebody else there.

You don't seem sure about what you would like to do, if you were really keen on maintaining computer systems you wouldn't even be asking.

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Redbox - unless you enjoy working with computers I think you will find being a technician in a school either boring or annoying.

However, if you still would like it, I would suggest looking at the A+ qualification to start.

And as saundersmatt says, 14K is a good starting rate for a technician! I started on 16K as a network manager and from what I've heard, that is a good starting pay...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast