+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The question: How do I move from teaching into IT? in General; I always find it funny when i get junk mail through the door, saying "change your career" earn up £25k ...

Thank Post

Re: The question: How do I move from teaching into IT?

I always find it funny when i get junk mail through the door, saying "change your career" earn up £25k pa with an A+ cert, upto £30k with Network +;

erm yeah right! Almost signed up for CIW course a few years ago, signed contract and all. Then did some research and found out i could get same qual for about £500 by buying books and doing the exams myself instead of the £3k they quoted!

Redbox, if you are a qualified teacher, i'd stick with that. The change would be difficult, not just the money but the fact you would likely to not get the full hols. £14k is about right around these parts. Depends where you are based. Dont forget that with BSF you probably wouldnt be working for the school in a year or so.

If you do want to get the quals, look at A+, Network+, CCNA, MCSE, but I can only recommend doing the work yourself or at a local college. All of these training companies that make huge promises are a waste of time/space/money.

Thank Post

Do bear in mind also that there's often a 'glass ceiling' only a thousand or two above your starting pay. Once you hit the top of that 'pay spine' thats prettymuch 'it' - no TLRs, no prospect to move upward etc.

Not impossible for a technician to start on 10k, move up to 16k, and remain on that 16k for the next umpteen years, regardless of skills aquired etc

Thank Post

@Redbox

I went with a training company when i did the A+ 2 weeks later they went bust or liquidation as they like to call it. I felt let down and robbed. best thing to do is buy a book and ask questions on the forum, and get as much practical experience as you can. Stay clear of training companys. Best book for A+ in my opinino is Mike Myers A+ Book

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    Best book for A+ in my opinino is Mike Myers A+ Book
    Yeah man, that book is groovy baby. Really gets your mojo going. Shagadelic. It's also worth noting that Dr Evil also has a book out.

I'll get my coat....

Thank Post

Did you say a French Teacher? If so you could look at working for a French company based in the UK, they pay a little more for fluent speakers and sometimes more if you can read/write the language.

I have to agree with the other comments here, keep away from the training companies, local colleges can be good, just depends on their standards, but if you can self study then it’s the cheapest way forward.

All the ComTia courses (http://certification.comptia.org/) are recognised and the Microsoft courses (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.mspx) build up in stages, you can also use some of the CompTia qualifications towards your Microsoft qualifications.

But I'd think about it very hard, my sister in law moved in the opposite direction to you and has said that she wouldn't want to move back? But each to their own

Thank Post

Thank you very much for all your answers, this is the kind of information and advice I was looking for. I found an A+ manual, not the Myers one but the one 'for dummies' I'll start reading that, but from what I saw this is exactly what I want to learn about.

I can self study without any problem. And I'd rather earn less money and do something that doesn't suck my soul on a daily basis. Give me a motherboard and a screwdriver and I shall be a happy bunny.

To saundersmatt ( You don't seem sure about what you would like to do, if you were really keen on maintaining computer systems you wouldn't even be asking.)

You mean if I was really keen on maintaining computer systems, I would not go on an IT professional forum to ask what qualification I should get to achieve this and the best way to go about it? *blinks* Er.....sure, next time I'll just wish very hard for the answer.

hmmm...is that what you guys call Fuzzy Logic???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

£14k - £16k may be average wages in schools but then that is why very many people move on into industry.

The pay in industry for an equivellant role is substantially better. Even the Local Authorities pay more with starting salaries @ £16k up to the mid 20's, moving through Desktop Support, Network Support, Security, Server Administration, Database Support etc etc..

If you are so minded a school environment can be a very good place to learn. You get to experience most aspects of IT and as has been said on other threads, you can be expected to master every discipline.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Why the hell would you move into EduIT when you can get £90/day on supply work with New Directions?

Thank Post

quote="Redbox"]..........knows her way around computers (can build one from scratch) [/quote]

I'm afraid that you would be expected to know considerably more than this to get a tech job in education starting at 14K! Some networking knowledge would also be required I would have thought. Suggest you look at the BECTA spec for IT technicians at linky for some further info on this. The idea of studying while doing supply work makes sense if you are determined.

It can be done however, I spent 20 years as a teacher before moving into this field, though I did have an advantage I suppose in that I had worked with computers previous to teaching, and my degree was maths and computer science.

Best of luck if you do decide to go down this route.

Thank Post

Midget wrote: Why the hell would you move into EduIT when you can get £90/day on supply work with New Directions?

90£ a day? This is what a NQT gets on supply, last time I worked for an agency I was on 140£ a day.

I don't enjoy my work though, teaching languages to teenagers is like pulling teeth out and don't get me started on the paperwork.

To Steve: the school will provide the training, my initial lack of knowledge doesn't seem to bother them too much.

Thanks to you and Mark for this info, you guys have been all most helpful.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by redbox
    don't enjoy my work though, teaching languages to teenagers is like pulling teeth out and don't get me started on the paperwork.
    hmm - there is nothing about working as an IT Technician that feels like pulling teeth - until you add users into the equation that is!

I would suggest you try and get a couple of weeks works experience somewhere to try and get a good idea about what the job involves, that is the only way to know for sure.

But do not throw away your teaching career until you are certain - the job can vary hugely depending on the school you are in - you have probably been in a few different ones doing supply, but you are always going to get a hostile reception as a supply teacher so I am not sure that is totally the best way to guage it.

Thank Post

@Redbox

I dont think you would be throwing your teaching career away, I think its a great idea that you would like to look at diffrent careers. At least if you dont enjoy IT you can always move back to teaching. Or you could may be one day teach an IT course such as comptia or MS.

Best of luck

Thank Post

What I meant is that, like in most careers, it is pretty difficult to get a teaching job if you opt out of teaching for a couple of years and then go back to it.

At least - difficult to get a job where you are competing against anybobdy that did not do so.

Thank Post

Interesting conversation.
    Redbox - Good luck with your career move - I hope it works for you and that you find conditions of work that you are at peace with. I can sympathise with the 'pulling teeth' scenario - although I myself mostly enjoy the teaching experience, there are the occasional lessons..... and , unlike with most careers, in teaching there is nowhere to hide - you can't just disappear for a few minutes and leave the kids to their own devices for a bit. (although I lam fully aware that some people try.)
    As you say if the career change does go chest upwards, you can always go on supply - which is by no means fun as I have found in the past that the supply teacher always tends to get the dog end jobs - however it will still keep the money coming in.

Cheers
    Mr B

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts

IMHO you don't need to study in order to start out as a techie (and before you all shout, I said 'start out'!)
    I have been in this business for nearly 6 years and I have got/been offered several jobs during this time because of my experience, rather than my qualifications. I have always been up against better qualified people but it has never seemed to put me at a disadvantage.
    SO..If I were you I would be more inclined to take the job, at least for a year, and see how you like the actual work, rather than work as supply, do the qualifications and then have to get a job to see if you like it - wasting another year of your life.
    £14k is a good salary for a techie - I don't get that much - but you must remember that whilst it is very good to get a job you love, there are huge stresses in all jobs and it is hard to cope when you are not even being paid very much!
    Having said that - you can always fall back on supply if it doesnt work out, so go for it!
    Sarah

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast