+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Importing motorbikes - Isle of wight to UK in General; Does anyone know how you go about registering a vehicle in the UK that has come from the isle of ...
    Thank Post

Importing motorbikes - Isle of wight to UK

Does anyone know how you go about registering a vehicle in the UK that has come from the isle of wight?(do you even need to)? The vehicle is in the UK at the moment but apparently needs registering with the DVLA first, had a look on their site and all i can see is info about Isle of Man and channel Islands.

Anyone?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Isle of wight is in the uk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Isle of wight is in the uk
    That's what i thought but the guy i'm buying it off seems to think it'll need registering with DVLA?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    perhaps it isn't registered - is it an off-roader or imported from somewhere?

I registered a couple of bikes back in the day, they were imported from Japan. It's not too epic, you need to go to an area DVLA office with an MOT certificate and import documents, they should be able to give it an age related plate.

5. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Pyroman (1st February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    There's nothing special about the Isle of Wight; it comes under the British government and vehicles are registered with the DVLA just like those on the mainland.... and those on Anglesey and Sheppey and the Hebrides and the Orkneys...

It's different for those on the Isle of Man and Channel Islands which have their own governments and revenue systems.

If you buy a car from the Isle of Wight and it's taxed and MOTed... all you have to do is insure it.

7. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Pyroman (1st February 2012)

Thank Post
    It's not an ebay deal is it? Sounds a little bit iffy.

Thank Post
    no it's a mate of mine, it's not iffy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhowell View Post
    New law on driving license will be taken place from 19 January 2013. It will adversely affect the existing riders and learner riders. These changes include certain age limits, category of vehicles, types of vehicles.
    Whilst your post is slightly informative it has nothing to do with what was asked?

Ben

Thank Post
    The Isle of Wight is certainly different to DRIVE on, but they are part of the UK (whatever they may think) and no change of registration would be needed other than the normal "send the V5 to DVLA for them to loose".

Whilst on the DVLA and bikes, it seems they are "accidentally" dropping bike entitlements when doing change of address etc. They will then not accept any evidence to that entitlement. Including a Chief Constable pointing out that the man in question had been a police rider for ten years, or photocopies. Current thinking is that it is worth "loosing" your paper copy, send back the plastic one, and only find the paper one if/when they cock-up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    The Isle of Wight is certainly different to DRIVE on, but they are part of the UK (whatever they may think) and no change of registration would be needed other than the normal "send the V5 to DVLA for them to loose".

Whilst on the DVLA and bikes, it seems they are "accidentally" dropping bike entitlements when doing change of address etc. They will then not accept any evidence to that entitlement. Including a Chief Constable pointing out that the man in question had been a police rider for ten years, or photocopies. Current thinking is that it is worth "loosing" your paper copy, send back the plastic one, and only find the paper one if/when they cock-up.
    yes but they are also known to "alter" you license so that even though you passed your test in a manual you change your address and it comes back as an automatic license and aprantly their system cant make mistakes and the only evidence they will accept is your original documentation given when you passed the test. I did that with mine for a new address i lost it honest lol

Thank Post
    Just to clarify this, my mate was an idiot and meant isle of man not isle of wight

Thank Post
    I have Class A on my licence and looking on the DVLA site it says Class A can ride a medium power bike and two years after passing the driving test can ride a bike of any size. So, as I passed my test 46 years ago, I guess I'll be ok getting a Ducati Desmosedici RR. I doubt if I'll get life insurance though!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have said if its registered your fine. IOW is part of Hampshire.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread