+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Registers for Fire/Evacuation in General; Originally Posted by sonofsanta Aye, there is that - not thought of that benefit when it came to Progresso etc. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Aye, there is that - not thought of that benefit when it came to Progresso etc. before. Although the cost of tablets would be probably outweigh a good few years worth of printed registers!

Good luck getting on your wireless when your switches start melting! Unless your forking out for the 3G models, then you have the perils of reception; I'd bet if your standing next to a brick+metal building that's on fire you won't be getting much of a signal, if nothing else because 400 students just got out their mobiles to tweet their facebook and upload the pics of the school burning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by liamvaughan View Post
    In our place we do two reports a day, one after the AM register closes and another when the PM register is closed these are then stored in the main office and taken out when there is a fire drill she also takes the student signing out book just so we know what kids have gone home
    Exactly as above except we have a signing out sheet on a clipboard per year group. Pupils can't get out of school without going through reception so it works quite well. In the event of a fire pupils assemble by tutor group and fire marshalls sweep their assigned area to ensure the building has been evacuated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Not a problem sono if your MIS is hosted offsite...
    With your proxy/smoothwall box/other kit needed to talk to the outside world going up in flames?

Thank Post
    I've seen *Primary* schools with a laminated class list - teacher does the electronic registration and simultaneously updates that list with washable (not too washable) pen at the same time. Laminated list lives on wall inside one of those cheap transparent A4 wallet thingies and goes outside with them when alarm goes off.

All the logic in that works for me.

Thank Post
    On a similar note, does anyone have an electronic signing in for staff and/or visitors? If so what do you do fire reg wise in that case?

I ask as we're currently looking into such a thing. My thought was a dedicated receipt printer connected to a big red button or in an ideal world the fire alarm.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    On a similar note, does anyone have an electronic signing in for staff and/or visitors? If so what do you do fire reg wise in that case?

I ask as we're currently looking into such a thing. My thought was a dedicated receipt printer connected to a big red button or in an ideal world the fire alarm.
    We're having this at the moment, i was looking at getting ID cards with RFID chips in them and staff scanning themselves in, then in the event of a fire download this list to a tablet/pda/smartphone or print it so we can check staff off. At the moment we have an In/Out sign in board with peoples names but staff are a little lax with signing themselves in and it's a pain then carrying these boards outside

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    We're having this at the moment, i was looking at getting ID cards with RFID chips in them and staff scanning themselves in, then in the event of a fire download this list to a tablet/pda/smartphone or print it so we can check staff off. At the moment we have an In/Out sign in board with peoples names but staff are a little lax with signing themselves in and it's a pain then carrying these boards outside
    Definitely worth checking out inVentry - nicely packaged system for visitor management, and handles staff / pupils too... It was designed by a school Network Manager, so is built specifically for schools...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    Definitely worth checking out inVentry - nicely packaged system for visitor management, and handles staff / pupils too... It was designed by a school Network Manager, so is built specifically for schools...
    We've designed one in house in php and sql so it's just the hardware we're looking for.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    With your proxy/smoothwall box/other kit needed to talk to the outside world going up in flames?
    @SteveBentley good come back, but I will raise you with: 3G access or via iPad?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    @SteveBentley good come back, but I will raise you with: 3G access or via iPad?
    It would probably be cheaper to implant children with rfid tags and sensors on all entraces.......

Thank Post
    We have ID cards for staff, visitors and sixth form. We use some software called TimeNet which links the swiping machines into the fire alarm system. As soon as the alarm sounds it auto prints a register to a printer in reception. Works well here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    It would probably be cheaper to implant children with rfid tags and sensors on all entraces.......
    Cheaper, but less ethical? Lol

Thank Post
    We are a small place and have laminated sheets by the DHM office. Tutors know who is around and if someone is not there are then checked with the signout sheets that admin hold.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12