+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Gutted in General; Don't you just love your fellow human beings. Some lovely person tried to take the front of my car of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts

Gutted

Don't you just love your fellow human beings.

Some lovely person tried to take the front of my car of with theirs yesterday whilst mine was parked on the road outside my house.

Unfortunately we have no more than a possible description of the other vehicle.

All I can say is that luckily the wife and kids were not in the car at the time.

Gutted-2012-01-31-16.46.33.jpg

Ben

Thank Post
    Have you contacted the old bill? Not a lot they can do, but it's failing to stop - which is an offence. The other car must be damaged as well.

Thank Post
    Yes everything that needs to be done has been done, we had to report it in person to the police within 24 hours as well and as our local station is unmanned they were kind enough to get an officer in a car to come round and take the details.

The other car if they don't report it has then committed 2 offences, failing to stop and failing to report it.

Our car is being collected by the repairer this afternoon just got to wait and see if they write it off or not.

Ben

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    I can't see them writing it off, it's only cosmetic. There 's a chance the track rod has been bent a little from the nudge, but it doesn't look too bad... I've repaired worse

Thank Post
    If you are not on a main throughfare, its probably someone local. Might be worth circulating a description of other vehicle and crime number to local body repairers/scrap yards. Other vehicle would probably have drivers side damage by the look of it.
    If you are prepaired to do it yourself that damage looks repairable, with a replacement wing and bumper.

Thank Post
    Don't have the space or time to repair myself tbh like I say the repairers are picking it up today so will wait and see what the verdict is, once the bumber etc... is off so they can see the full extent whilst it looks mainly cosmetic the whole car was moved at least 4 foot backwards so it was a hard knock.

Plus oil cooler and other internals broken.

Ben

Thank Post
    My car got hit the the nice man from Royal Mail, he knocked on my door to inform the misses. Six months later the insurance compnay are chasing them for payment and asking me what happened... I hate bloody cars and insurance companies

Thank Post
    I share your pain and anger, i had a lovely mini back in the day, got written off by a joyrider doing a handbrake turn in another car. The police caught them, but told me they were well known for it and if i was lucky i'd maybe get 1 a week to pay me back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Don't have the space or time to repair myself tbh like I say the repairers are picking it up today so will wait and see what the verdict is, once the bumber etc... is off so they can see the full extent whilst it looks mainly cosmetic the whole car was moved at least 4 foot backwards so it was a hard knock.

Plus oil cooler and other internals broken.

Ben
    Is it a 2000 W reg? I suspect they'll write it off. A bumper, wing and paint could easily be over a grand and that's before the cost of a hire car (or any other damage). They're also allowed to factor in the value of the salvage and pick the option that'll cost them less. The cost of repairs does not necessarily need to exceed the value of the car.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bummer. This has happened to me twice, both hit and runs. Out of pocket for the first one, but with the second time, a neighbour witnessed it. Even with those details it took 18 months to resolve the case.

It's a pain in the cheeks, but you've got to look on the positive; cars can be fixed, and no-one got hurt.

Thank Post
    I had similar last summer - no damage to bodywork but wheel had been hit with such force car had been moved 3 feet uphill in drive with the handbrake on. Subframe and suspension damaged so badly it was uneconomical to repair even before they checked the driveshaft.

No witnesses, no CCTV, no note left. Reported to Police to get a crime number but knew full well they couldn't do anything.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread