+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Password sharing as a sign of trust? in General; I used to use NSPASSGEN on an old mobile, it was great. It generated random passwords, and stored them all, ...
    DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    I used to use NSPASSGEN on an old mobile, it was great. It generated random passwords, and stored them all, and allowed you to encrypt them with a master password for the program. providing you didn't forget it or share it, it was a good system. I have around 20 different accounts in various places, but mostly I remember them, and have never had trouble doing so. I think using biometrics is a good idea, fingerprint scanners etc.

DT

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    <snip>
    We just had an issue here in school with a group of girls sharing each others passwords on a site called Stardoll where one girl had been sending nasty messages from another girls account to make her look bad.

<snip>

Also it turned out one of them had created multiple fake accounts to post positive messages about herself to make her look more popular.
    Why does this not surprise me?

Quote Originally Posted by DT2 View Post
    I used to use NSPASSGEN on an old mobile, it was great. It generated random passwords, and stored them all, and allowed you to encrypt them with a master password for the program. providing you didn't forget it or share it, it was a good system. I have around 20 different accounts in various places, but mostly I remember them, and have never had trouble doing so. I think using biometrics is a good idea, fingerprint scanners etc.

DT
    Lasspass for me. [+Rep for whoever it was who suggested it...]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is why I love LastPass so much. I don't even know my passwords now, so I have no way of sharing them. S'brilliant.

It constantly frustrates me that the majority of the users don't see a password as protection, as a layer of security ensuring their privacy, but instead see it as some kind of unsolved problem in computing, this massive inconvenience that one day will be swept away by some brilliant developer. We've solved parallel computing, we've solved massive heterogenous communication, but passwords are still too complicated for us to get rid of. The day when we no longer need them will be the true singularity, clearly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    The day when we no longer need [passwords] will be the true singularity, clearly.
    We would have either reached a level of open trustworthyness that would require security a waste of resources, or all input devices sample DNA/fingerprints/full body scans and THAT'S your username/password.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    We would have either reached a level of open trustworthyness that would require security a waste of resources, or all input devices sample DNA/fingerprints/full body scans and THAT'S your username/password.
    But then we'll all be running round jealously guarding our last remaining finger, as we'll have chopped the rest off to send to Nigeria to assist in the transfer of that 27 million USD that an uncle I never knew I had stole from Iraq in the Second Gulf War. So then we'll go back to passwords to keep it safe except we'll only have one finger to type with, and it'll be all the easier to steal it looking over our shoulders.

The only true safe way forward is to burn the machines and retrain as mentats.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I do understand the issue about using the same password for everything but when I counted all the on-line things that I need a password for that might be problematic (not just logging onto forums etc) I need ten and it is very difficult to remember ten different passwords. I tend to use variations on a theme but have been caught out several times getting them wrong and being locked out of the account
    I use a range of passwords and variants on the theme... the base for the theme is different at school, so I can keep those separate. As for remembering anyone else's ... no chance. I have too many of my own

I'm intending to start using Lastpass

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But then we'll all be running round jealously guarding our last remaining finger, as we'll have chopped the rest off to send to Nigeria to assist in the transfer of that 27 million USD that an uncle I never knew I had stole from Iraq in the Second Gulf War. So then we'll go back to passwords to keep it safe except we'll only have one finger to type with, and it'll be all the easier to steal it looking over our shoulders.

The only true safe way forward is to burn the machines and retrain as mentats.

Forget that. Develop AI, give it a way to see, let it learn what you look like [Like a person would], auto-auth because your computer knows it's you.

Also, teach it to tell the difference between a photo/video and a real person.

No more "send us you password" scams. No more keylogging. No problems. [except skynet... Thats ALWAYS a possible problem.]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Forget that. Develop AI, give it a way to see, let it learn what you look like [Like a person would], auto-auth because your computer knows it's you.

Also, teach it to tell the difference between a photo/video and a real person.
    Isn't Windows 8 meant to be implementing something like that anyway?

(and I think I remember, possibly apocryphally, that Kinect does something like that as well. But I've not wasted the money on one, so couldn't say)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Isn't Windows 8 meant to be implementing something like that anyway?

(and I think I remember, possibly apocryphally, that Kinect does something like that as well. But I've not wasted the money on one, so couldn't say)

"It scans his face and logs him in. Finally, when Amish gets up and leaves, his PC notices that he's gone and locks itself and powers down."

WTF COMPUTER?! I needed to go to the toilet! You didn't even save my [insane length] report!

Isn't it currently fooled by pictures?

Also, OMG that link gave me so many pop-ups!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I do understand the issue about using the same password for everything but when I counted all the on-line things that I need a password for that might be problematic (not just logging onto forums etc) I need ten and it is very difficult to remember ten different passwords. I tend to use variations on a theme but have been caught out several times getting them wrong and being locked out of the account
    This might help you...

Your PasswordCard - 75,388 printed so far!

Trying to promote it as a password tool with teh staff at the school. Mixed uptake. My wife uses one, and swears by it.

You can also get an Android and iPhone app for it.

Its a smart idea IMHO.

Thank Post
    Being Honest, I know a LOT of passwords for people in my family. I know bank PINs and online banking logins (mostly because the parents can't get to grips with these slippery intertubes and get me to do everything for them). I know passwords and PINs for the boyfriend and I could hazard an accurate guess at my sisters bank PIN (if its the same one it was 10 years ago).

Having said that I have a pretty good memory for number strings.

I tend to categorise sites and have 3 or 4 different passwords in the password group for that category. So, for example, lets say my 'category 1 password group' is for sites I don't fully trust or for 'low security' stuff like discussion forums where if someone hacks it and gets my password and email they won't get access to anything higher than other 'category 1' sites - so other discussion forums etc. Category 2 is for online shopping sites - mostly ones using paypal, also sites that I occasionally buy goods and services from. This password group is a higher complexity than cat 1. Cat 3 is for online banking, main email account, utilities etc. Cat 3 are changed often and are heavily complex passphrases or strings of numbers and letters.

I also have a 'work' category that has no affiliation with cats 1 -3.

Thank Post

From XKCD

13. 2 Thanks to Arcath:

AMLightfoot (1st February 2012), elsiegee40 (1st February 2012)

Thank Post
    I love XKCD. It's so true though. Sad thing is, I'd find it easier to remember Tr0ub4dor&3 than I would horsebatterystaplecorrect - I'd get the words the wrong way around. I find it easier to remember a 36 digit long passphrase made up of initials birthdays etc in the order in which a family was born and where they lived by the very fact that I know the 'algorithm' I used to create it - ie. I might KNOW that I wrote a WEP key (back in the day when we used WEP before WPA etc) that was the initials followed by birthdays of everyone in our immediate family in reverse order preceded by our house number and followed by a shortened version of our road name. So even if I can't remember it exactly I can 'rewrite' it based on the rules. I think I overcomplicate things...

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not just MyMaths, how many kids or even adults share their password for an MMO account? In some cases companies made changes to how their software works to discourage password sharing. Example, Blizzard introduced Guild Banks to eliminate the need to share account details for a guild member's account to access a bank character.

Whilst users need to be educated not to share, maybe some sites or programs can look at their design and think "Why are people sharing passwords and how can we reduce it?"

As for myself, I can frequently be seen trying to brute force my own accounts remembering what password I used for a particular site. Luckily older and/or unimportant sites draw from a large pool of potential passwords. If one gets hacked, not all of them do. Critical stuff like work passwords, E-Mail and banking have a unique password.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12