+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Open University in General; If you are an existing student and due to start a course in September 2012 *and* are completing a unit ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are an existing student and due to start a course in September 2012 *and* are completing a unit this year then the course fees do not go up ... so I am now rushing around getting onto a course. After chatting to the admissions folk it turns out that any course this year counts depending on your degree. As I am going for an Open Degree now I have a lot to choose from ... apart from the Feb courses have now started. So I am down to a 10 point course, or looking at MT127 or TM227 (still working on transferring credits from the FITS courses).

On a similar note there is an ePetition that is going around about the rise in HE costs and the affect it is having on the OU fees.
    Stop the cuts in the Open University - e-petitions

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tony, interested to hear about what you have already done for your Open Degree, I graduated mine (in computer related modules) in July.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    After much faffing I have done T171 and M150. I did have a go at M206 and I just don't do frogs!!! so I stopped part way through to concentrate on some VB stuff at the local college. I am not that bothered about getting the degree ... I now I should have it for progression on certain tracks but I am more interested in enjoying a bit of learning. I found T171 fun, but a bit limiting if you already had a good knowledge. It was little things like the tutor being amazed that some of use would want to meet face to face to chat about things ... and the idea of doing webpages which had video and music in was beyond what was requested so was viewed with suspicion ...

M150 was an attempt to force me to get into coding ... and whilst I could do most of it, it just reinforced that I don't like coding.

So I am now looking at other courses, hopefully IT related, which I can do but I know I will end up picking different strands to fill in some gaps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you want a challenge, M366 I think it is: Artificial Intelligence... Very hard but brilliant!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is also a dedicated VB course now, very good and if you have done some before it is quite an easy 30 points towards your quals.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I did have a go at M206 and I just don't do frogs!!!
    I had recurring nightmares about those effin frogs! Did manage to complete the course though...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    If you want a challenge, M366 I think it is: Artificial Intelligence... Very hard but brilliant!
    Yep ... Kate Sim and the team are fantastic and love the stuff they have done on RoboWorldCup. I know what it takes to do the course ... and I don't think it is for me. I know my limitations ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My completed modules were:

M150, T209, T175, M255 (Java), M366, MT264 (VB), M226, M359 (SQL)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    finished T215 last year. Didn't enjoy it at all - but each to their own.

So far I've done M150, T175, Mu123 and T215. I've started TT284 this week.

All going towards B62 -BSc(Hons) Computing and IT.

I started the course because I don't have an IT or Computing degree. Environmental Science with Animal Behaviour for me. Also atthe time Tesco were paying with Clubcard vouchers. This has stopped now. Mrs Ed tells me it's too expensive but I am too stubborn to give up.

Good luck everyone who is studying.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having been a complete failure at School - left with no quals and went to work on the family farm. I was lucky enough to have access to the Royal Air Force Education services where I picked up a decent batch of 'O' Levels then going on to 6 years with the OU which saw me graduate with a BSc in 1993.

I wonder if with all the cuts the Forces continue to offer support like they gave me toward gaining a degree; somehow I doubt it?

Thank Post
    I'm one of the Associate lecturers for the TM128 - Microsoft server technologies.

In May I'll also be a student, starting my postgrad studies with the M889 - Computer forensics and investigations, depending on finances hopefully will either end up with my Postgrad cert, postgrade diploma or my MSc, but I'll have to wait and see...

Other undergrad modules that I found that may be of interest to some may be:

T122 Career development and employability
    T227 Change, strategy and projects at work

As it sounds like they're work based.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Computer Forensics.. how awesome I would love to do that!

Thank Post
    I've done a few courses finished the T215 last year, found it really boring (into more pratical stuff, rather than writing report... after report... after report)

I've heard on the grapevine that M courses are more pratical focused is this true?

Thank Post
    Gaahh!! M255 and those effing frogs!! Mine are all getting rude names at the moment 'cos it's a tedious and unwelcoming module.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj88 View Post
    ...I've heard on the grapevine that M courses are more pratical focused is this true?
    Traditionally for the OU, the letters incorporated in the module code have represented the disciplines encompassed within the module, so:

T = Technology
    M = Mathematics or Computing (there is no C for Computing modules as they don’t tend to be represented in quite the same way)

Many of the undergraduate Computing modules come under the banner of M. Quite often, the letter, which appears first denotes the faculty under which it is administered, but there are exceptions …

Therefore, A = Arts, B = Business, D = Social Sciences (of course...), E = Education, L = Languages and so on.

U modules are interdisciplinary modules.

So it depends on how the course is structured, rather than the letter(s) in front of the numbers which would dictate how practical a course would be.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast