+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Twitter - yes? no? in General; One of our new keen governors thinks that we, a Junior school, should be on Twitter - can anyone tell ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,792 Posts

Twitter - yes? no?

One of our new keen governors thinks that we, a Junior school, should be on Twitter - can anyone tell me if they use it and if so why and how?
    Any positives and negatives gratefully received. I can't see why we would want to be on it - we have a website with a daily blog as it is.
    All ideas gratefully received

Thank Post
    We have claimed the pages but they remain blank for now, this may change soon though.

Maybe just update the feed with links to your blog posts, could be automated just to keep them upstairs happy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can see it being beneficial in the sense that small updates such as "Newsletter sent home with the children" or "SATS Results in the post" etc would be a good thing. Just need to be careful that you don't accept russian brides etc! (I have been spammed to death by them!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Twitter is well used. Parents can see announcements via the feed. Allot of the will probably not remember to look at the school website but if they can see them in twitter there is a greater chance they will be seen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    One of our new keen governors thinks that we, a Junior school, should be on Twitter - can anyone tell me if they use it and if so why and how?
    Any positives and negatives gratefully received. I can't see why we would want to be on it - we have a website with a daily blog as it is.
    All ideas gratefully received
    It depends on your idea of publicity really. We have a twitter account here, but my old school doesn't. Personally, I think a twitter feed is just another way to get info out, so why not? Why not just post headings and links to the articles on your website every time something is posted, making it kinda an RSS feed.

It means that anyone who wants to follow on twitter can do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,792 Posts
    What about replies though - allowed or not?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've seen twitter put to great use for all sorts of reasons. Look up #northantsblt #hetup etc for some great examples of it's inter-school and other use - I am often fascinated by the discussions held.

8. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

GrumbleDook (31st January 2012)

Thank Post
    We are on it as a school. In fact we have now created accounts for all our departments.

Our main school account tweets about general school news, school closures, music performances etc. Our ICT Coordinator sees it as an easy way to inform large amounts of people very quickly. Getting pupils and parents involved with school life on a platform they already use.

I was very sceptical to be honest. I hadn't had much dealings with twitter. However after being on there for a few months, I now love it. It's been fantastic for my own needs. I've connected with some really interesting people and found some fantastic resources. There are some brilliant networks on there.

We have created a policy here at school for staff use. It says things like remain professional at all times. Do not follow students or staff (and therefore they can not direct message either). Don't simply retweet; quote and comment. Anything you post on the internet is permanent.

Number ten has an interesting policy on replies. Its says something like... "we can't possibly reply to questions of a political nature within 140 characters".

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I'd say no replies.

It's too easy to start relaxing with how you word things or how you deal with parents.

Before long you could end up being "too friendly" and if you're not careful you can end up saying something you shouldn't.

The school is a business [of sorts] and should remain professional.

Thank Post
    School Closures is good, a number of schools closed when it was snowing because parents had posted on facebook\twitter that the school was closed when in fact it was open.

Thank Post
    We have some one who updates twitter, this is currently linked from our website and will be linked from our new frog.

I have tried adding the HTML code for a little twitter widget but struggling to get it to work. Also no one can comment on it but they can follow of course

Thank Post
    We are looking at a Twitter account, also wondered about an official facebook group for the School - does anyone else do this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    We are looking at a Twitter account, also wondered about an official facebook group for the School - does anyone else do this?
    We currently have a School page which doesnt get updated/not many joined this.
    PE Department page this is updated by a member of staff, this has a good amount of liked people.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    We have a School Facebook Page... it's quite popular and works well, we get pupils and parents asking questions through it...

Thank Post
    It's a conversation, not a broadcast. If you're not going to engage, you have no business being on Twitter, IMO.

However, iff you are doing an automated feed from a blog or RSS, make sure your profile clearly states that it's unattended and you're not monitoring @replies, and give a link to a web page stating your preferred method of contact.

Other advice - whoever is going to look after the official account should get a personal account and run that for a few weeks first just to get a feel for how Twitter works, and make their mistakes and faux pas there rather than on behalf of the school.

17. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

vikpaw (12th February 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast