+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Twitter - yes? no? in General; Originally Posted by mthomas08 We currently have a School page which doesnt get updated/not many joined this. PE Department page ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    We currently have a School page which doesnt get updated/not many joined this.
    PE Department page this is updated by a member of staff, this has a good amount of liked people.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    We have a School Facebook Page... it's quite popular and works well, we get pupils and parents asking questions through it...
    School facebook/twitter accounts are one of those things that either work fantastically or fail hard.

There is no middle ground.

I've heard of a few schools around here that have facebook/twitter and see it as a waste of time as no-one follows it.
    And others that think it's the best thing ever, because a large majority of the parents have added them and are using it.

Send out a newsletter or 2 [or 3... we all know how easily children lose letters.] telling people about it, make the account and see how it goes.

If it isn't sucessful, at least you can say you tried.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    The school is a business [of sorts] and should remain professional.
    Because ignoring feedback, comments, questions and complaints from stakeholders is a good professional way of doing business?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    How do you dissallow replies on twitter anyway? If someone replies to @You_twitter_account it's going to be a reply isn't it?

I guess you should post some guidelines on the interataction i.e no personal enquiries but I think it's a good tool to use especially with people being so reliant on mobile technology it's easier to check a twitter feed from an app than visit a website especially if no mobile version is available to find the piece of information you're looking for.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Because ignoring feedback, comments, questions and complaints from stakeholders is a good professional way of doing business?
    I didn't say ignore. I said don't reply.

Say what you need to say, read comments/feedback, impliment changes as necessary.

As for questions I would [depending on what it actually was] either make a statement [if the same question comes up a lot], get in touch with the parent officially through the school itself, grab them at hometime/before school if they pick up their children or set up a meeting if it's about serious business.

Thank Post
    I can't see why we would want to be on it - we have a website with a daily blog as it is.
    You do, but people have to go to your website to view that & check for updates. Most people won't bother unless they have some info they want.
    Whereas if you have twitter, your tweets are automatically "pushed" to your followers so they'll see them without doing anything on their part.

We use it whenever we post up a new news item or photo gallery. Our traffic to these increases a fair whack after we do, as people are aware that we'd added it whereas before they wouldn't know unless they check our website often.

As for replies, no you can't disallow those. But why would you want to? They aren't publicised to anyone unless they go out of their way to search for them. If someone wanted to moan about the school, they could anyway. All an @ reply does is alert the account specified, nothing says that you have to reply.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Thanks. I can see the issue is going to be the time for someone to do the updates. Might suggest the automatic feed etc.

Thank Post
    Twitter: RSS that normal people can work out how to use

8. 2 Thanks to mavhc:

IrritableTech (31st January 2012), strawberry (1st February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I didn't say ignore. I said don't reply.
    Arguably the same thing.

If somebody asks a question through Twitter they expect a reply through Twitter. If you don't feel it's appropriate to reply that way (because they want to discuss something that isn't appropriate in public or that you can't do in 140 chars) then reply asking them to get in touch in a different way or stating that you'll be in touch (if you can identify the person, often you can't).

Interestingly the ICO's opinion is that a tweet can be a valid FoI request

My view is that you either commit to fully engage with Twitter or don't bother.
    Last edited by SteveBentley; 31st January 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo

10. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

matt40k (31st January 2012)

Thank Post
    Very timely discussion! Our HT has just created a school Twitter account so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    My view is that you either commit to fully engage with Twitter or don't bother.
    The problem is that in a busy school with admin staff already overstretched there is no way that someone can spend time on twitter answering questions. Yes, the person may ask via another method anyway but I think you will get a lot of 'casual' questions that wouldnt occur otherwise.

Thank Post
    We don't get many questions via our twitter. If we do get any that can't quickly be answered then we just forward them to our "contact us" page on our website where they can pick which department to email.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The problem is that in a busy school with admin staff already overstretched there is no way that someone can spend time on twitter answering questions. Yes, the person may ask via another method anyway but I think you will get a lot of 'casual' questions that wouldnt occur otherwise.
    In which case I don't think the school is in a position to have a presence on Twitter, given that an @ mention can be construed to be an FoI request (and remember that FoI requests don't have to explicitly state that they are under FoI).

If you don't have the resources to deal with those enquiries, you don't have the resources to operate a Twitter account.

Thank Post
    That's not really a valid reason to not use twitter, it would take all of 5 seconds to tweet the user back asking them to resend their request via email to the correct person, or forward the request to the person who deals with it.

Thank Post
    One of our 'new, keen' governors kept suggesting a Facebook account for the school. After a quick search on FB, I found three other pages, all under the school name, none of them 'official'. I don't like the idea myself, too fraught with difficulties and too demanding for us to administer properly.

I did a bit of research on here, some of you may remember the thread, most you probably won't and gave the results to the Head, suggesting that perhaps if the 'new keen' governor is so convinced that it would improve communication, heighten awareness blah etc, then said 'new, keen' governor should be offered the chance to run and administer the page.

I believe the offer was made, I believe it was turned down.............end of School Facebook page.

@witch Could try making the same offer to your 'new, keen' governor. Worked a treat here

Thank Post
    I think it's great to have a broad "web presence" especially in this day and age! Wether you choose to communicate directly with people via twitter/facebook etc or direct them to a single point of contact ie. your website/enquiries email is up to you.

I still think it's quite important to be visible on these services even if you just use it as a glorified RSS feed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast