+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car insurance - How much for my renewal!! in General; It's that time of year and my insurers (Privilege) have sent me my renewal notice which is almost 100 up ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Car insurance - How much for my renewal!!

It's that time of year and my insurers (Privilege) have sent me my renewal notice which is almost 100 up on last year! In the past could of years my premium has doubled from 240 to 485 fully comp. Considering I have full no claims and a clean license I think this is getting silly, so it's time to move on.
    I've been having a look around and the best I can find on a price comparison web site is Hastings at 400 for the year, but I'm wondering whether there are some better/smaller companies out there. I tried a couple (who I won't name) but a quote of 1400 from one of them and 950 from the other makes me think that it would be simpler to ask you guys. Bearing in mind I'm over 40 and there are companies that specilise in reducing premiums for my age bracket (Privilege used to!) can anyone recommend a company to swap to?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Me and the better half normally use confused.com , one of my friends uses comparethemarket.com ( but I found using this site was frustrating me ) as it kept forgetting stuff and I had to keep re entering the same details to get quotes on different cars etc. I'm coming up to having 3 years no claims this year and I've only claimed once because I had some dippy woman drive into the back of me ( not my fault ). Will find out how much it costs but the area I live in is high with regards to car insurance and also find the things you include in the cover can effect the overall cost ie how much legal cover if any if you have it, wind screen cover and all the other cover they have with ref to public cover, insuring your stereo up to x amount etc

Thank Post
    I usually end up using the comparison sites, the Tesco one has always been very good for me, good way to boost those club card points as well.

Thank Post
    A certain company that uses a red telephone wanted just over 1500 from me last year, I got a quote of under 500 using gocompare. I tried confused and the meerkats and they still beat them.

Thank Post
    I tend to bounce elephant and admiral off each other as they're sister companies or something. Cut 150 off my 850 quote

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Co-Op here. Last renewal was less than the previous year at 280 fully comp. 1.6 Seat Leon

Thank Post
    Think the key phrase is to 'shop around'. Yes its tedious speaking/searching but worth it in the end. I always ring around, then ring my orginal insurer and they always bring it down. The other way I try is using a search engine such as meerkats, then ringing the insurer direct.

End of the day its not about loyalty its about getting the best deal.

Thank Post
    Elephant here, when they were slightly dearer than someone else on renewal, so I phoned them and they dropped the price cheaper than the other quote and threw in a load of extras. Maybe worth giving Privelege a call and seeing if they will give you a better deal.

Thank Post
    I'm another with Co-Op, used to be with Direct Line but they got quite expensive.

Thank Post
    if you got a patner/spouse why not try admiral multi car we are saving on 2 young drivers nearly 1000 between us.

11. Thanks to DJ-Jonesy from:

SimpleSi (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I generally use GoCompare when I am looking for a quote, but i'm younger than you ;-) so I don't get a quote like that anyway (dreaming!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The devil is in the detail here. I have got some cheaper quotes, but once you check out the 'extras' I end up paying more than I currently am. The extras include breakdown/recovery, excess, named drivers etc. and other little things which push up the cheaper quotes to way beyond what I'm currently paying <grrrr>

Thank Post
    swift cover was cheapest by over 200 (still 586) for my girlfriend (11years driving, clean licence, full no claims) on a seat leon 1.9tdi 110. But aviva were cheapest for me (also driving 11 years, full no claims but 3 points) on my landrover 110 tdi van, at 260. I'll admit i was dubious about getting a quote from them as they have been truly outrageous everytime i'd tried them before.

Also, what car is it, because often owners clubs can get you preferential deals on insurance, my mum has her modified MX5 insured through the mx5 owners club by adrian flux and it is 150 cheaper this year than last, and almost 300 cheaper than anything on compare the meerkat...

Thank Post
    I was confused.com, so I compared the meekat, gocompared, uswitched and a whole host of other similar sites. All gave me prices which varied from 250 to 1450 on a one litre Kia Picanto, with 15+ years no claims. What I found bizarre is that the same insurance company would sometimes come out at a different price on different web sites. Finally, using a device called the telephone, I asked my current insurance company (John Lewis) if they would beat their own renewal price, which was lower by 8 than the lowest on the comparison sites (which was Sainsburys). They knocked another tenner off, so I stuck with them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The mrs is with the Co-Op. I am a learner driver and I am on the policy and she pays (for the year) 680 fully comp, with European breakdown, protected no claims etc (A Hyundai Lantra Estate)

If I was not on the policy it would go down to around 320 for the year. Co Op have also been fantastic when she had an accident and got her a large wedge of cash.

My mum also changed over and her and my stepdad (both over 45) pay 210 combined for the year for 3 cars (2x Mitsubishi Pajero's for when they are off roading, and a Vauxhall Vectra)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast