+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car insurance - How much for my renewal!! in General; ...

Thank Post
    Admiral here - it only went up £1.60 a month fully comp
    Also got car hire for an extra £2.25 or something so in total it went up roughly a fiver to £60 a month!

I actually thought it was a typo at first but nope!

Thank Post
    @sted beat me too it thats what i'd do too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woodham View Post
    @sted beat me too it thats what i'd do too
    if it first you dont succeed cheat

currently with swiftcover as when i moved house my old insurer told me to get lost and was cheapest i could find but about double what i was paying

Thank Post
    RAC marginally cheaper than the Meercats, but I think they don't do protected no-claims. C£400 for 2l Saab.

Thank Post
    Try changing your address ;-) Seriously though they use your postcode as an excuse to put up premiums by saying crime in your area has risen. Challenge them for the stats, it helps if you have a copy from the council\police (Sorry can't remember which one) and bug them till they discount you. I'ts a pain to do and I only did it once to save me £100.

Now I have Multicar with Admiral.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    Try changing your address ;-) Seriously though they use your postcode as an excuse to put up premiums by saying crime in your area has risen. Challenge them for the stats, it helps if you have a copy from the council\police (Sorry can't remember which one) and bug them till they discount you. I'ts a pain to do and I only did it once to save me £100.
    local crime maps/stats Police.uk - Local crime and policing information for England and Wales

7. Thanks to shenley from:

alan-d (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    Sheilas Wheels here. Was previously with Tesco but they pushed up the premium by quite a lot last year and wouldn't budge so I said goodbye to them. I've been driving for 19 years and never made a claim or had a claim made against me so I was really annoyed with Tesco.
    I'm also with Sheilas Wheels. Was with them last year but the renewal came up more expensive. Followed MoneySavingExpert process (see my earlier post) and got a far better quote...from Sheilas Wheels! Phoned Sheilas Wheels and told them they'd quoted me a better price as a new customer, gave them the quote number, and they let me renew for the price of the cheaper quote.

Moral: always, always, always get a re-quote rather than just renewing. There was a Watchdog about this last year - apparently the majority of insurance companies will quote you a higher premium if you stay with them. Loyalty actually works against you as they really don't care a stuff about you - you're just a source of cash to them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have multicar, up over 300 between us. We have 2 replacement cars coming in the next 7 days so god only knows how much it will be then when I tell them!

Here is a story though, I rung then to tell them I not doing as many miles now, my job is different and work from home, and I no longer drive for business use... All thinking as I did my premiums should go down and get a refund...

Extra 240 quid please.... I put the phone down....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you have time (and a lot of it, as in several hours) Call Connections is a company I've had good experience with in the past for knocking my insurance prices down (in getting a few quotes, then going back to my insurer and saying "Oi what you charging me that for"). They'll get a bunch of insurers and transfer you through to each one and give you a call back and transfer you to the next one. Don't know how it compares to things like compare the market and others though this year.

2 Years since I did it now and ended up with Kwikfit Insurance this year, after phoning up and saying I'm not paying that I did save another £100 off it.

Thank Post
    Shut it you.. That bumper car as you put it has done some fair few miles of late..
    Ok so its had one or two replacements (Clutch, Exhaust, brakes, wheel, wipers, 2 x Front Driveshaft , brakes, CV joints....)
    But its always got me from A-B without needing to be towed :P

[What the.. could have sworn @mac_shinobi had made a sarky comment about my car - now cant find it anywhere.....]
    Last edited by Gatt; 27th January 2012 at 08:26 PM.

12. Thanks to Gatt from:

mac_shinobi (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The devil is in the detail here. I have got some cheaper quotes, but once you check out the 'extras' I end up paying more than I currently am. The extras include breakdown/recovery, excess, named drivers etc. and other little things which push up the cheaper quotes to way beyond what I'm currently paying <grrrr>
    With Lloyds on there platinum account and that gives you breakdown cover across the UK, mobile phone insurance and a bunch of other stuff, think its either £17 or £18 a month. Think Barclays and maybe other banks do the same, Natwests one was rubbish last time I checked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Shut it you.. That bumper car as you put it has done some fair few miles of late..
    Ok so its had one or two replacements (Clutch, Exhaust, brakes, wheel, wipers, 2 x Front Driveshaft , brakes, CV joints....)
    But its always got me from A-B without needing to be towed :P

[What the.. could have sworn @mac_shinobi had made a sarky comment about my car - now cant find it anywhere.....]
    I deleted it, <un-named person> who you know totally cracked me up when she first made a sarky comment ref it being a bumper car and couldn't resist. Comment was along the lines of £60 is a lot per month for a bumper car

Agree, if it gets you to work n back ( A to B and B to A ) then thats great

I haven't been towed yet

15. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Gatt (28th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Another Co-Op user here, after being slowly squeezed by several of the usual suspects a web comparison site put me onto them and ever since they have been the best for me.
    its always worth knowing that in many cases adding your spouse to a policy even if they have their own or another car can reduce your premium considerably (assuming they don't have a string of convictions and a drink problem)....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Another Co-Op user here, after being slowly squeezed by several of the usual suspects a web comparison site put me onto them and ever since they have been the best for me.
    its always worth knowing that in many cases adding your spouse to a policy even if they have their own or another car can reduce your premium considerably (assuming they don't have a string of convictions and a drink problem)....
    My GF added me to her insurance and it saved her 26p per year! and I don't even have a car driving license!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    26 whole pence? Awesome! :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast