+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car insurance - How much for my renewal!! in General; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A few words on the extras. I once opted for a high excess, and sod's law I made a claim. I recovered the loss, but I would have been significantly out of pocket if I had no third party to claim against.

The uninsured loss cover is an interesting one. As far as I can tell, it's just a no-win no fee outfit working on your behalf. The insurance company charges you £25 or so, and just gives them your details when you claim. If there's no hope of a successful outcome, they won't pursue the claim anyway. It's such a profitable business, Google for loss recovery insurance, and you can get it for £1 or even free.

Breakdown cover- I use AutoAid; spouse + all cars covered for £37. It's an insurance scheme, you claim back the cost of recovery. I've used them twice and they were excellent.

Thank Post
    ive ALWAYS been with admiral, the multicar insurance for me and wife is always at least £500 cheaper than getting insured individualy, if have 2 cars in the household i'd recommend them!

Thank Post
    As I recall, I'm paying £300ish on my 1.6 Astra fully comp (34, max NCB), and my missus who only passed her test a few months back has just paid £700 fully comp on her own car, a W reg Fabia 1.4mpi. I was quite surprised..I expected worse!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bah! Tried all of the smaller companies recommended and still it's many hundreds more than my renewal.
    *sigh*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    I tend to bounce elephant and admiral off each other as they're sister companies or something. Cut £150 off my £850 quote
    They are the same company with different trading names (they have about 3/4 names)/

Mine was 480 this year for Fully Comp (on a 10 month policy). I'm 20 and Drive a 1.6 litre Coupe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    <SNIP> one of my friends uses comparethemarket.com ( but I found using this site was frustrating me ) <SNIP>
    But hey, you get a free meerkat doll.....toy.....thing.

As someone else said, Swiftcover were cheapest for me for the first couple of years, but even they've been slowly creeping up last year and the year before and I'll bet it increases this year, too.

I can't be a***d to do it, but I wonder if the cheapest way is to change insurers every 2 years, to get the new customer discounts and all the other discounts that go with it.....a bit like changing energy suppliers every year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another for Admiral multicar here, well worthwhile if you have more than two. They'll insure the other car for $remainingPeriodOfYear to bring both renewals into line.

Only annoyance is that every year they send my renewal through at +50%, I get a web quote again and the price is back down to what it should be. Then I have to ring up and ask them to match their own price. Bloody waste of time!

Thank Post
    I often find that a particular company will beat everyone hands down for a few years and then suddenly become very expensive. I was with Admiral for a few years then moved to Swiftcover. After about 4 years my renewal suddenly rocketed despite not making any claims and they weren't at all interested that I was getting cheaper quotes.

Then Admiral offered the multicar option and although it made no difference to my wife's policy it reduced mine considerably. Last year I made a claim because someone wrote my car off but left the scene so I changed car. At renewal it was no cheaper for me to move but it was actually cheaper for my wife to stay!

Thank Post
    whats the car? and i know is a little bit naughty but have you rang them up and asked for a new quote dont tell them you have a renewal with them just that you want a quote as it usually comes back even cheaper..

Thank Post
    I have to stick my oar in here - for the last few years I've followed the guide on Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website and have always managed to get a brilliant quote. He recommends a combination of sites (currently GoCompare, Confused.com, MoneySupermarket and then TescoCompare) to cover roughly 94% of the market, then adds a few smaller ones (if you've got plenty time on your hands) to cover virtually 100%. Read the full guide for loads of other tips to lower your premium - e.g. change your job title and you can drop £20 off the cost.

11. Thanks to timzim from:

vikpaw (28th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    Chris Knott are very good, particularly if you have a hot hatch.

It also might be worth trying a broker like A-Plan.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with that is they take your registration number early in the process, and it's flagged as being with them already. The same as when you do it online and they ask for the registration as part of the quote procedure now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The problem with that is they take your registration number early in the process, and it's flagged as being with them already. The same as when you do it online and they ask for the registration as part of the quote procedure now.
    just go on autotrader and look up an identical car

Thank Post
    Sheilas Wheels here. Was previously with Tesco but they pushed up the premium by quite a lot last year and wouldn't budge so I said goodbye to them. I've been driving for 19 years and never made a claim or had a claim made against me so I was really annoyed with Tesco.

Normally for insurances etc I used moneysupermarket.com.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    change your job title and you can drop £20 off the cost.
    Often more than that.
    If you manage an office of IT staff - an 'Office Manager' is a good one. But it is different for different companies and you really need to know someone on the inside because insurers really don't like letting their competitors know how they rate personal aspects like jobs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast