+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Laptopsforteachers.co.uk - opinions please! in General; A colleague in another school passed me this last night: From: "David Petty" <...@laptopsforteachers.co.uk> To: ... Subject: LFT Date: 25-Jan-2012 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

Laptopsforteachers.co.uk - opinions please!

A colleague in another school passed me this last night:

To: ...
    Subject: LFT
    Date: 25-Jan-2012 09:53:12 +0000

Hi

This is just a quick email to let you know that we are still
    offering to buy back your old laptops or projectors for cash
    or part exchange. If you would like your school to be
    included in this round of funding from us then just reply to
    this email and let me know.

If you would like anymore information then please do not
    hesitate to contact me, you can also receive more
    information from our website http://www.laptopsforteachers.co.uk

Please can you pass this on to your head teacher or ICT
    department.

Kind regards
    David Petty

Laptops For Teachers

Email ...@laptopsforteachers.co.uk
    The concern, which I share, is that this company seems to be strongly implying they are affiliated with the now-defunct Laptops For Teachers government scheme that many here will be familiar with. The use of language such as "If you would like your school to be included in this round of funding" makes it sound like a grant, while offering to "buy back" makes it sound like they were the ones selling them in the first place.

Their website does make it clear that they are a limited company, and they have a number of positive testimonials (anyone from here?). Still, the sales tactic in the above email seems pretty misleading.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by plexer; 2nd May 2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Edited to remove free advertising for said company

Thank Post
    I've no experience with the company, but any organisation using tactics like that are automatically on my ban list.

If they had a good product/service, they wouldn't need to resort to gimmicks/tricks..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We will try to pay the best price possible for your laptops but please bear in mind, the price of second hand laptops can be difficult for us to price accurately. We will only give a price of what the laptop is worth to us as spare parts.
    ^ From their site.

Seems dodgy to me. Buy old laptops at "scrap" price, clean, resell at "new" price. Well, not dodgy... More like just-not-cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by MattHarwood View Post
    If they had a good product/service, they wouldn't need to resort to gimmicks/tricks..
    Sometimes, people automatically assume it's a scam, so they have to resort to gimmicks to get people to actually listen.

Or it's a trap.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Sometimes, people automatically assume it's a scam, so they have to resort to gimmicks to get people to actually listen.

Or it's a trap.
    The cake is a lie!

Maybe I'm cynical, but receiving "free printer" this and "everything is free apart from when you pay for it all" that day after day I don't believe anyone any more

Oh, and the old "you've ordered from us before" trick...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHarwood View Post
    Oh, and the old "you've ordered from us before" trick...
    "Yeah, I ordered and the money was taken. But you didn't send anything."

Game. Set. Match. [And possibly free stuff if the person is sufficently confused.]

@AngryTechnician Why not shoot an e-mail off to one of the testimonial schools? See if they ACTUALLY said that the site claims they said.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    Have been getting these for a while now. Have to agree with AngryTechnicians comments on the choice of company name and wording, and for that reason they go straight in the deleted items!

Thank Post
    Same, read, chuckled and deleted.

Thank Post

Laptops For Teachers

Good day to you all.
    I have read your messages with great interest and have taken any negativity on board and will in future change the wording of future emails, as this is not our intentions to mislead but to try and get school staff and technicians to read the message.
    Please let me reassure you all that we are a legitimate company offering a good service to all schools throughout the UK. We have worked with hundreds of schools and we really do try hard to offer a good service
    As I was an ex network consultant / network manager for a secondary school for over 7 years, I share all your scepticism but all I can ask if to give us a try if you do not like the price we offer for your old / faulty items then simple do not take us up on the offer.

I hope this has been helpful and if any one would like to talk to us then feel free to get in touch, we can also give you the name of loads of schools that we have done business with.

Kind regards

David Petty
    Laptops For Teachers
    (company number 05392774)
    Last edited by plexer; 2nd May 2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Thank you for clarification but contact details removed.

Thank Post
    From Repairs
    Before sending us your faulty laptop we will always need the following:
    <snip>
    Access information: Username(s) & Password(s)
    They're having a giraffe...

gmj

Thank Post
    My spidey senses are tingling!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kearton View Post
    From Repairs

They're having a giraffe...

I'll raise you:

Upgrade to wireless.

This is for laptops... Which have wireless built in.

If they don't, they need a new motherboard [and case] or an adapter... Which takes all of 2 seconds to do and doesn't require an external company to do it. [May be wrong on the mobo part... I'm stunned by the levels of shenanigans.]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    What percentage of your staff do you think are capable of installing the drivers for a PCMCIA card? I wouldn't peg it at a particularly high number here...

Asking for passwords is properly dodgy though. When I work on personal laptops and need access to their account, I ask the owner to remove the password temporarily. Knowing other people's passwords is a legal liability as far as I'm concerned, given the amount of password reuse.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    What percentage of your staff do you think are capable of installing the drivers for a PCMCIA card? I wouldn't peg it at a particularly high number here...

Asking for passwords is properly dodgy though. When I work on personal laptops and need access to their account, I ask the owner to remove the password temporarily. Knowing other people's passwords is a legal liability as far as I'm concerned, given the amount of password reuse.
    Drivers aren't that hard to install...

Also, I tend to ask them to make me a temporary account. That way, if I need to restart anything, I can carry on.

Thank Post
    Seeminly this company is now offering offiste data backup... Odd how there is no mention of it on their website... (looked for rolling eyes smiley, but couldn't find one).

Quote from their email to one of our clients...

"We also offer a managed offsite data back up solution for your staff & Students Data, this is up to 4TB (Terabyte) per school of Data space at the London's Dockland Data Centre. Only £50.00 per month".
    Last edited by Mr_Jiminy; 5th June 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davepetty View Post
    Good day to you all.
    I have read your messages with great interest and have taken any negativity on board and will in future change the wording of future emails, as this is not our intentions to mislead but to try and get school staff and technicians to read the message.
    Please let me reassure you all that we are a legitimate company offering a good service to all schools throughout the UK. We have worked with hundreds of schools and we really do try hard to offer a good service
    As I was an ex network consultant / network manager for a secondary school for over 7 years, I share all your scepticism but all I can ask if to give us a try if you do not like the price we offer for your old / faulty items then simple do not take us up on the offer.

I hope this has been helpful and if any one would like to talk to us then feel free to get in touch, we can also give you the name of loads of schools that we have done business with.

Kind regards

David Petty
    Laptops For Teachers
    (company number 05392774)
    You said you have worked with hundreds of schools. Could you please give me those school contact details or at least school name?

Thank you

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast