+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Laptopsforteachers.co.uk - opinions please! in General; Maybe I'm cynical, but receiving "free printer" this and "everything is free apart from when you pay for it all" ...

Thank Post
    Maybe I'm cynical, but receiving "free printer" this and "everything is free apart from when you pay for it all" that day after day I don't believe anyone any more
    Not always the case. I use inkjets and toners and if you buy a batch of toners they will send you a free printer. It is not very green because if a printer in the school dies I just order a new batch of toners and replace the faulty printer for free.

Thank Post
    Boot and Nuke FTW: Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

Shouldn't be asking for passwords and domain linked laptops that are no longer on the domain won't log in with AD creds anyway. The company should just nuke them rather than faff about logging in. Sounds dodgy to me and if @davepetty had previously been in the industry as he suggests then he would know that giving out passwords is a big no no for data protection not to mention the potentially harmful child-specific data that may be on said old laptops. Wonder if they'd take them sans Hard drive...

Thank Post
    Hi
    Supawat1
    Please check out some of our testimonials on our website Homepage | Laptops for Teachers

Kind regards
    David Petty

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Boot and Nuke FTW: Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

Shouldn't be asking for passwords and domain linked laptops that are no longer on the domain won't log in with AD creds anyway. The company should just nuke them rather than faff about logging in. Sounds dodgy to me and if @davepetty had previously been in the industry as he suggests then he would know that giving out passwords is a big no no for data protection not to mention the potentially harmful child-specific data that may be on said old laptops. Wonder if they'd take them sans Hard drive...

Why is my name in this?????

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davepetty View Post
    Why is my name in this?????
    Probably because he was referring to your post?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jiminy View Post
    Seeminly this company is now offering offiste data backup... Odd how there is no mention of it on their website... (looked for rolling eyes smiley, but couldn't find one).

Quote from their email to one of our clients...

"We also offer a managed offsite data back up solution for your staff & Students Data, this is up to 4TB (Terabyte) per school of Data space at the London's Dockland Data Centre. Only £50.00 per month".
    Hi Mr Jimmy

We have only just started offering the services this week and it will be a completely different business under the laptops for teachers Ltd brand.
    It is not on our website as a new website is been developed for this.
    As a ex network manager I am used to the headaches of backing up schools data securely offsite and thought offering the services was a good idea to share with other schools.
    Your opinion on this would be appreciated as I do not want to be spending loads of money if schools or more importantly network managers and technicians will not want to use it.
    Many thanks
    David

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_one_that_cant View Post

What do you mean I have not been asking for anyones passwords

Thank Post
    Looks slightly dodgy if you ask me :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_one_that_cant View Post
    She ;-)

And yes, as I referred to a point made in @davepetty's original post, I referenced the writer by name. I could have quoted the original post to the same purpose like so:

Quote Originally Posted by davepetty
    Good day to you all.
    I have read your messages with great interest and have taken any negativity on board and will in future change the wording of future emails, as this is not our intentions to mislead but to try and get school staff and technicians to read the message.
    Please let me reassure you all that we are a legitimate company offering a good service to all schools throughout the UK. We have worked with hundreds of schools and we really do try hard to offer a good service
    As I was an ex network consultant / network manager for a secondary school for over 7 years, I share all your scepticism but all I can ask if to give us a try if you do not like the price we offer for your old / faulty items then simple do not take us up on the offer.

I hope this has been helpful and if any one would like to talk to us then feel free to get in touch, we can also give you the name of loads of schools that we have done business with.

Kind regards

David Petty
    Laptops For Teachers
    (company number 05392774)
    As I said, where data and child protection is concerned, would the faulty laptops be taken without the HDD because lets not even start on Microsoft licensing headaches - since the OS is useless without the site licence, there should be no requirement for renovators to log in under any circumstances. The disk should be nuked and a fresh OS installed over the top. I can't understand why as @kearton points out, the site requests login details :-7 Drivers are freely available on manufacturers sites and quite frankly the OS is probably not up to date anyway so it cannot be a driver issue. That would probably be my biggest concern since trash kit is trash kit, whether you get cash for it or not is largely irrelevant but the biggest headache when disposing of defunct kit is data protection and a company asking for the login details rings alarm bells - perhaps unjustly, but we would be remiss in our duties of care if we did not consider this. Perhaps this requirement should be reconsidered if the company in question wants people to go out on a limb and try a new service from them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davepetty View Post
    What do you mean I have not been asking for anyones passwords
    Taken from: Repairs | Laptops for Teachers

Repairs

We understand that your Laptop, plus the information on it, is vital to you and your teaching.

If your laptop becomes faulty we know it has to be repaired as quickly as possible, so we're able to offer a next day collection via DHL. All repairs are treated as urgent and will be repaired by one of our experienced technicians and returned to you as fast as possible.

We will always try and pick up, repair and return your laptop to you in 5 working days.

We will even help you over the 'phone to see if we can repair the laptop free of charge.

Give us a call or use our enquiry form on the Contact page for a quick quote.
    Ripon Laptop Repair

Top ten most common repairs/upgrades we carry out:
    ◦Screen replacements
    ◦Hard drive replacements
    ◦Data recovery
    ◦Keyboard replacements
    ◦CD/DVD drive replacements
    ◦Memory replacement and upgrades
    ◦Motherboard replacements
    ◦Overheating, unscheduled shutdowns
    ◦Re-installation of the operating system
    ◦Upgrade to wireless

Before sending us your faulty laptop we will always need the following:

tick The power supply unit and cable(s) that came with the laptop

tick Any external device that is failing, e.g. external hard drive, CD/DVD drive etc

tick Access information: Username(s) & Password(s)

Connect with Facebook Connect with Twitter Connect with Youtube Subscribe to RSS Feed

Featured Video

Enter your email address below:.

Find us on Facebook
    It should be pointed out here though that the 'Repairs' section seems to refer to the repair service offered on the reconditioned laptops rather than the ones purchased as 'defunct' although again I would probably suggest that given child/data protection and the pupil-specific data teachers store on their laptops (and as an Ex teacher I KNOW I had all sorts of emails and stuff from SEN and the CP officer about pupils in my classes) that the teachers user account is not used to maintain the machine...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoit View Post
    Looks slightly dodgy if you ask me :P

What looks slightly dodgy??
    I am just trying to run a genuine business, As an ex schools network manager I thought I was offering a services that would be needed by quite a lot of schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    the pupil-specific data teachers store on their laptops
    Not just the laptops... they also want external HDDs if they're having problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by X-13; 5th June 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Thank Post
    What the hell are they, my server is out sourced and managed

Thank Post
    LOL I've seen the top two on Memebase. Sounds like someone's web host is being used to host personal content. I'm more interested in how you discovered them than their existence @X-13

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast