+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Someone remind me why Apple products are so expensive.....? in General; BBC News - Apple posts record $13.06bn quarterly profits, up 118% 8.36bn in three months??? Don't get me wrong, I ...

Thank Post

Someone remind me why Apple products are so expensive.....?

BBC News - Apple posts record $13.06bn quarterly profits, up 118%

8.36bn in three months???

Don't get me wrong, I think Apple have done a massive amount for computing and I think their products are great, but I have never and will never buy one due to the cost.

Stuart

Thank Post
    It's genius, they release out of date specs and charge through the nose for it. Quite phenomenal

Thank Post
    I am not a fan of apple, they have convinced the human race that choice is evil. I don't get the "It just works" arguement as I have seen many non working examples, plus the fanboy "I never get a virus on my mac" boils my kidneys, they won't be saying that when they have 85% OS market share i tell thee!

PS never had a virus on my PC for 9 years.......

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You say they are expensive which is true but the ipads especially are very competitively priced and easily "best of" product.

Well worth it in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't own any Apple products, but when I occasionally have a go on an ipod touch or iphone or similar, I'm always left with the impression that it was a pleasure to use. The experience is everything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    The experience is everything.
    This.

Why would they release bleeding edge specced gear - when having complete hard/software control enables them to ensure it all fits together to a pleasing end user experience.

Horses for courses though, you want top spec - you build your own or buy a windows/linux prebuild
    you want ease of use, a nice UI and little maintenance you go Mac (assuming you can afford it)

I find it funny how many people moan about apple fanbois when they're far more rabidly anti-mac then the supposed fanbois are pro mac.

7. Thanks to Domino from:

DrCheese (25th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    will never buy one due to the cost.
    By that logic, you would never buy an Audi or BMW because a Hyundai is cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    they have convinced the human race that choice is evil
    Choice is bad, when you have too much of it. See Barry Schwartz's Paradox of Choice video on TED or this article on The Verge.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    I don't get the "It just works" arguement as I have seen many non working examples,
    I think your problem there is getting confused between "It just works" and "It never breaks or goes wrong". The latter is generally false, the former is generally true. In the 5 years I have had a Macbook I have had one major issue which was sorted by an Apple store with no fuss. Beyond that no issues.

Now you have to weigh this up with I am possibly less inclined to fiddle as I was on a PC (though I do use terminal and play around) but I can agree with it just works.

EDIT: But on topic, I can't disagree, that is obscene!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    By that logic, you would never buy an Audi or BMW because a Hyundai is cheaper!
    but you could buy a seat/vw/skoda thats is 90+% identical to the audi for less same as the same parts apple use in a pc cost less you are to an extend paying for "badge snobbery"

11. 2 Thanks to sted:

Greenbeast (25th January 2012), jpaterson (25th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but you could buy a seat/vw/skoda thats is 90+% identical to the audi for less same as the same parts apple use in a pc cost less you are to an extend paying for "badge snobbery"
    Quite!

Also, about lack of 'bleeding edge' hardware, i'm talking about simple things like 3G on the first iPhone, when dozens of other cheaper phones already had it, and the fact their cameras are always years behind in terms of pixel count.

Thank Post
    For the masses, it's all about image....

Audi = status symbol, Skoda/Seat..... practical choice, does the same job for less.

It's a similar story with Apple products .... IT & graphics professionals aside, a lot of people buy Apple products because of the image it represents, a form of badge snobbery.

Apple products are good at what they do; I also agree with the comments earlier, they do just generally work & provide a pleasant user experience.

14. Thanks to broc from:

Davit2005 (26th January 2012)

Thank Post
    I will say, i love my ipod, i have used iphones, ipads and imacs and have very much enjoyed the experience, but it's just not worth paying so much for, for me personally.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    My how times of changed, in the mid eighties I used to deck myself out in expensive designer labels to express myself as an individual, to stand out from the crowd. It seems it has reversed and people want to throw money away just to fit IN with the crowd.

Also why are gadgets such an emotive subject, its a bit sad that we don't have these arguements over microwaves, fridges and washing machines as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    their cameras are always years behind in terms of pixel count.
    I see where you're coming from with this, but to Apple's defence any photographer will tell you the pixel count is almost irrelevant, it's sensor size that matters. I have to say, the iPhone pictures are some of the best I've seen from a mobile...

Having said that, I still won't buy Apple as "the experience" isn't worth the 40% premium to me. The iPad I'd be tempted by if I were in the market for a tablet, and I do love my old iPod, but I doubt I'll ever spend the kind of cash they're asking for on a Mac

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Choice is bad, when you have too much of it.
    Too true. Before I bought my Android phone, I was considering getting a Nokia. I looked at their web-site, and tried to choose a suitable phone. When I looked, Nokia had just over 100 models to choose from. Over 100! I kid you not.

Faced with this Dulux colour chart situation, I couldn't make a choice, so I and went and bough a San Fransisco Android phone instead. It does everything I want, and I bought it outright for 80.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast