+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Someone remind me why Apple products are so expensive.....? in General; Another week, another Apple rant :-(. I use my Apple for Music making and other creative stuff, the very last ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Another week, another Apple rant :-(.

I use my Apple for Music making and other creative stuff, the very last thing I want to do when I get home is having to sort out more computer issues.

Yes I have Microsoft at home but running virtually on ESXi host, so can access Windows 7 etc via RDP from iPad and the Apple MACS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    oh ya of course market share matters to them, but it shouldn't be held up as the primary marker of success. Of course Android is going to have a much greater marketshare because it's installed on such a huge range of devices, whereas iOS is only on Apple products. The downside of Android is that OEMS have razor thin profit margins as competition is much greater and have to ship a ton more devices to make even half the profit Apple makes.

True, it's just some of the comments on here can be pretty offensive at times. People buying Apple products aren't automatically "Stupid","Sheep" and "unevolved" It's sorta ironic how the Anti Apple Fanboys are as bad as the pro Apple fanboys they attempt to belittle.
    Maybe, but can I just point out that I'm right and the those who don't agree with me are completely wrong.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Maybe, but can I just point out that I'm right and the those who don't agree with me are completely wrong.....
    Twas ever thus, mattx my sweet

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    [QUOTE=witch;782675]
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    /QUOTE]

Twas ever thus, mattx my sweet
    I'll leave you all to it shortly....I've got 40 mins left of a double shift I've just done so will be getting some well earned sleep........

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    I buy Frosties because I think they taste better than own-brand.
    With some cereals, sometimes it's the same product from the same company being repackaged and sold cheaper by a supermarket.
    I like Apple stuff, so i buy it.
    If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Instead of complaining about it, why not invest 300 ish on an Apple share. They've gone up over 10% in the last few days.
    My old ISA in the UK (a special building society one, for being a valued customer) only paid me 0.1% basic rate of interest. [EDIT2: 100 years of interest! ]
    You don't have to like Apple to cash in on their success. 1 share currently stands at 278 plus say 30 fees. It's cheaper than most of their products and you stand to make some money. You can't say you don't like that.

EDIT: Investing in stock markets is risky, the value of your investment can go up as well as down. You may not get back your original investment. If in doubt seek independent financial advice. Please don't blame Apple fanbois if you end up living on the streets while trying to cash in on Apple's success. Only the rich get richer
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th January 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: addition

6. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Greenbeast (26th January 2012)

Thank Post
    I'd like to re-iterate - my initial point on this thread was not whether they are better than other products.

Thank Post
    Get this. If you open the original I-pad it had the space and screw holes for a camera. The reason it was not installed was not cost as they are quite cheap, no it was to make all the apple fans upgrade to the I-pad 2, which came with a camera. how nice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    I'd like to re-iterate - my initial point on this thread was not whether they are better than other products.
    Just that they are highly priced, and you'd never buy one.
    Would you consider buying a share of the Apple pie though?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Just that they are highly priced, and you'd never buy one.
    Would you consider buying a share of the Apple pie though?
    More interested in the Raspberry Pi than Apple Pie at the moment. That's nearer my price bracket!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Get this. If you open the original I-pad it had the space and screw holes for a camera. The reason it was not installed was not cost as they are quite cheap, no it was to make all the apple fans upgrade to the I-pad 2, which came with a camera. how nice.
    Frustrating? Yes!
    Smart business? Definitely!

Reminds me of the tale of the pickled onion maker.
    He decided one day to put 2 pickled onions less in each jar and more vinegar, thus giving him an extra jar in every 10.
    No one noticed and he made a nice profit.

What's the difference? I bet you this practice happens every day and you barely notice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apple products are highly priced for the following reason

The sheer volume of work that goes into it to make sure that it works as described so the user doesn't have to faff about installing drivers and such like.

For one set of machine specs, for it to work flawlessly, it takes say 3 months of coding and driver testing to be sure, plus a further 3 months on building enough to do tests. Then when thats done, they sell for the price of the components at the HIGHEST cost when they first came out. Doubling up on some parts sometimes involves a premium cost to do so (EG RAM, GFX Card).

It is a very good and clearly working business model.

The OS sells for cheap because it is easy to use, easy to update, and just works fine on the hardware that apple provide.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Frustrating? Yes!
    Smart business? Definitely!

Reminds me of the tale of the pickled onion maker.
    He decided one day to put 2 pickled onions less in each jar and more vinegar, thus giving him an extra jar in every 10.
    No one noticed and he made a nice profit.

What's the difference? I bet you this practice happens every day and you barely notice.
    Is this not exactly the same as Snickers/Mars/Bounty et al shaving a few grams off a bar, and selling at the same, or slightly inflated, price?

Thank Post
    Ok my final post on this and was my facebook status a few months ago :"My own opinion is Apple provide slightly average spec'ed kit at less than great value for money. Kit can be found to do identical jobs at a fraction of the price. If you as a rabid consumerist must have that shiny fruity logoed item at any cost, please don't come running complaining to me about being part of the current put upon "Squeezed Middle" or a size 8 up yer backside may ensue. No sympathies given."

15. Thanks to andyturpie from:

gshaw (26th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Is this not exactly the same as Snickers/Mars/Bounty et al shaving a few grams off a bar, and selling at the same, or slightly inflated, price?
    Probably, just goes to reinforce my example. Mostly an urban myth I guess

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Probably, just goes to reinforce my example. Mostly an urban myth I guess
    No urban myth about this.....

It WAS proved a few years ago that this had taken place across a whole raft of products. The minor shrinkage in size, but no apparent lowering of the price.

Anyway, just to add another strand to the thread....

I LOVE Adidas trainers, and won't wear any others..... Why? Well, experience has told me that they "just fit"....Every single time. However, Reeboks, Nike and others are always a little small or a little too big. Mind you, I've never gone on a forum and decried someone for wearing ASICS (even though i should!!!).

Apple does seem to instill a "love or hate" reaction in most people.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast