+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Someone remind me why Apple products are so expensive.....? in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Faced with this Dulux colour chart situation, I couldn't make a choice, so I and went and bough a San Fransisco Android phone instead. It does everything I want, and I bought it outright for £80.
    I thought I was the only one. £10pm to giffgaff and done. Wouldn't dream of paying £35pm for 2 years like some folk.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    I thought I was the only one. £10pm to giffgaff and done. Wouldn't dream of paying £35pm for 2 years like some folk.
    This was my argument with my Apple loving brother, about 18 months ago.

I bought an entry level Android for £100, and was doing £15 a month on top up. Therefore, over the 2 years I would spend £460 on the phone and calls....

With his iPhone, he would spend £840....

My argument is the almost £400 difference was not a "saving" as such, cos that money would be spent on my family, but represented better value for money.

Anyway, since then he's ditched the Apple and got an HTC Sensation....which he finds......Sensational!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but you could buy a seat/vw/skoda thats is 90+% identical to the audi for less same as the same parts apple use in a pc cost less you are to an extend paying for "badge snobbery"
    Why not buy a Tata Nano for £1,390 or a Perodua Kelisa for £4,520. There isn't any point in wasting your money on a VW, Skoda or Seat. All cars are the same, aren't they?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Why not buy a Tata Nano for £1,390 or a Perodua Kelisa for £4,520. There isn't any point in wasting your money on a VW, Skoda or Seat. All cars are the same, aren't they?
    They're a completely different league though; you may as well have said "why buy an i7 when you can get a pentium II for next to nothing?"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    They're a completely different league though; you may as well have said "why buy an i7 when you can get a pentium II for next to nothing?"
    pssssst, that was his point

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    They're a completely different league though
    They both have four wheels, four seats, a steering wheel and go from A to B?

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (25th January 2012)

Thank Post
    but take the audi a3 its the same platform engine gearbox electrics pretty much everything except body panels as
    golf/leon/tt/beetle/octavia(i thinK), jetta,eos,caddy(i think) so why pay the extra for a car built of the same parts in the same factory?

and an audi a4 and a passat look almost identical i bet if you swapped the badges most people wouldnt know where as you might notice the diff between an a1 and a tata nano

Thank Post
    You're paying for the badge. The 16-25 demographic all want an iDevice of some kind. The number of customers I see whose kids are baying for a new Macbook for Christmas/birthday... When they ask me about it, I ask them if they want to spend twice the money for the same machine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're paying for something you want to pay for, if you're buying anything with an Apple logo on it. If you want it that badly, then price will not usually stop you. Everyone knows the reasons why I dislike Apple as a company by now, as far as the products go we all know they're fairly middle of the range quality-wise but you're not buying them to run tanks over or win performance competitions.

And why else they sell their OS so cheaply? They're already had their money's worth out of you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To those who say you can buy the equivalent (and perhaps better) products cheaper, you are likely to be correct, but you are missing the point.

Apple is more than a bunch of products - it's a brand, an identity, a collective, almost a cult. And to those who say 'phooey' to this misunderstand the power that Apple has over its fans.

Apple is a carefully crafted, desirable brand.

Even the packaging of Apple products is a carefully deisigned 'experience'. Observe... The Joy of Opening an Apple Package | Abduzeedo | Graphic Design Inspiration and Photoshop Tutorials

Here's why:
    http://mashable.com/2012/01/24/apple-unboxing-room/
    http://gizmodo.com/5879097/apple-pac...ted-box-opener

The self-confessed Apple fan Stephen Fry writes a good piece on Apple.
    Steve Jobs « The New Adventures of Stephen Fry
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 25th January 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A (little) bit off-topic, but I can't resist posting this:

Actually, I don't think it's off-topic; it demonstrates the power of packaging and branding.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 25th January 2012 at 10:32 PM.

Thank Post
    I hadn't had much to do with apple macs since my solitary college publishing unit, then my computer blew last summer and I was using a macbook pro as a temporary substitute, from my pov and windows background it took a real effort to get used to the switch in OS and the differing ways of doing things, but I have to say I was very, very impressed when I got into the swing of it, they are slick and very polished products, when I have seen and used ipads they are equally if not more impressive, but the cost from my pov is the killer and why I would never seek one out over cheaper alternatives.

Thank Post
    Is it any wonder people choose Apple computers, when the websites of the big Windows OEMs such as Dell, HP and Lenovo overwhelm the average user with hundreds of models & options, and are filled with meaningless marketing BS terms such as "Everyday Computing"?

From The New Apple Advantage...

Dell - It’s even worse if I just browse without searching. The options I get are just… meaningless. Yes, I want “Everyday Computing,” so I want an Inspiron. But hang on, I also want “Design & Performance,” so I want an XPS. Wait a second, I want “Thin & Powerful,” too. So maybe I want a Z Series? But the only line that apparently matches my broad search criteria — lightweight, 11-14" — I wouldn’t even consider because I don’t want a “gaming” laptop, and so I’m never going to click Alienware!

HP - The same odd labels cover everything — I know I don’t want “Mini/Netbook,” but I want both “Everyday Computing” (that term again) and “High performance” (because I don’t want it to be slow, do I?). And who knows what “Envy” means? When I tick my screen size and weight boxes, I get back a crop of lousy netbooks that are almost the complete opposite of what I want.

Lenovo - It starts off with the same stupid classifications that must make sense to some guy in marketing — “Powered for productivity” and “Optimized for entertainment” and “No-nonsense features built for versatility”.

Design is largely about making choices. The PC hardware market has historically focused on three factors: low prices, tech specs, and configurability. Configurability is another way of saying that you, the buyer, get a bigger say in the design of your computer. Apple offers far fewer configurations. Thus MacBooks are, to most minds, subjectively better-designed — but objectively, they’re more designed. Apple makes more of the choices than do PC makers.

This isn’t new. And traditionally, the benefit from Apple’s lesser degree of configurability has been the “it just works” factor — better integration of software and hardware. That with support for fewer components, like, say video cards, the Mac OS needs fewer drivers, and the drivers it does have are less likely to result in unusual conflicts.

But now that Apple’s products are more popular, we’re beginning to see another benefit to Apple’s lesser degree of configurability: greater scalability. Apple needs larger quantities of fewer different components to manufacture the same number of computers as other companies. It’s not just the economies of scale that all companies get when they sell 3 or 4 million laptops in a quarter — it’s greater, because Apple’s 3 or 4 million laptops sold share a larger number of the exact same components.
    So let’s be lazy for a second here, and attribute all of Apple’s success over the past 15 years to two men: Steve Jobs and Tim Cook. We’ll give Jobs the credit for the adjectives beautiful, elegant, innovative, and fun. We’ll give Cook the credit for the adjectives affordable, reliable, available, and profitable. Jobs designs them, Cook makes them and sells them.

It’s the Jobs side of the equation that Apple’s rivals — phone, tablet, laptop, whatever — are able to copy. Thus the patents and the lawsuits. Design is copyable. But the Cook side of things — Apple’s economy of scale advantage — cannot be copied by any company with a complex product lineup. How could Dell, for example, possibly copy Apple’s operations when they currently classify “Design & Performance” and “Thin & Powerful” as separate laptop categories?
    Apple will continue making huge amounts of money because the other OEMs aren't able to match their economies of scale. I'm surprised they still don't get this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    why pay the extra for a car built of the same parts in the same factory?
    You could say the same about computers too. Why would someone pay the extra for a Dell Latitude when they could buy the almost identical Vostro for less money? e.g. Latitude 13 and Vostro V131.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Is it any wonder people choose Apple computers, when the websites of the big Windows OEMs such as Dell, HP and Lenovo overwhelm the average user with hundreds of models & options, and are filled with meaningless marketing BS terms such as "Everyday Computing"?

From The New Apple Advantage...

Apple will continue making huge amounts of money because the other OEMs aren't able to match their economies of scale. I'm surprised they still don't get this.
    Apple will continue to make hunge amounts of money because of the suckers who keep buying their overated crap. Hmmmmm - £60 HP touchpad or £400 ipad ? They both do the same thing to a degree.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast