+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Alternative to Adobe/Macromedia Suite in General; Yo, We're currently using Macromedia MX2004 suite and are looking to either upgrade or implement a totally new design suite ...
    Thank Post

Alternative to Adobe/Macromedia Suite

Yo,

We're currently using Macromedia MX2004 suite and are looking to either upgrade or implement a totally new design suite with different programs.
    Without looking into the cost of upgrading too much, I'm assuming it's going to be quite a big cost. So I'm interested to know what programs your schools are using to to deliver the (soon to be changing) IT syllabus. (eg Visual Studio instead of Dreamweaver).
    Input much appreciated!

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Adobe bulk licensing for schools is actually quite cheap (if you want a whole school roll out). If not try the Serif Design Suite. A word of caution though. Adobe sets the standard, and if your teachers/school want to work to that, especially given the changes in the curriculum coming your way, then I'd ensure whatever you choose meets (at least) the minimum required feature list, so your starting point would be to ask the heads of departments what they intend to be teaching in September, rather than just planning for the 'same old, same old'.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 24th January 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Thank Post
    |Cheers for the info. The main problem here is dreamweaver which seems to be buggy and clunky and everything has to be designed in Tables (I think) which the teachers hate as it never turns out quite how you expect when you hit the F12. Will check on the latest version and see how it differs.

Thank Post
    We just went from Studio 8 to CS5.5 Design. Not extensively used it yet, but it has nicely rolled up into an MSI with the tool supplied for deployment. Cost was £5.5k including maintenance for 500 seats. Not bad really, same license for Studio 8 was £3k 6 years ago and that only has half the programs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    |Cheers for the info. The main problem here is dreamweaver which seems to be buggy and clunky and everything has to be designed in Tables (I think) which the teachers hate as it never turns out quite how you expect when you hit the F12. Will check on the latest version and see how it differs.
    Dreamweaver works very well with DIVs and style sheets, you don't have to use tables. I've only ever used CS3, which is in no way buggy.

Sounds to me like you IT teacher doesn't know what he's doing.

Thank Post
    I have no idea, I haven't touched Dreamweaver in almost 10 years and I think I did everything in tables then. They use templates (and stylesheets I think).

Thank Post
    10 years ago everyone used tables and Microsoft were touting Frontpage, things have changed now. We use Adobe CS5 to teach from Year 7-13

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    things have changed now.
    Are you saying that I have to get rid of my minidisc player too?

Thank Post
    Slowdown there Disater, one step at a time! Next you'll tell me that you'll get rid of a 1gb MP3 player that is as big as a brick to!

Thank Post
    We use serif x4 here for web design. The kids and students seem to get on with it well, producing some good stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Are you saying that I have to get rid of my minidisc player too?
    No, but the neon Bermuda shorts have to go.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    No, but the neon Bermuda shorts have to go.

Awwwwww

Thank Post
    Adobe is industry standard, not Serif. If you want to allow the students to gain experience of a software package that they will make use of in potential future employment, it has to be Adobe really.

We have this argument with our ICT teaching department constantly. We in IT Support have pushed Adobe and it's now being widely used in Media, Film, Photography and D&T yet the IT courses are still running around using Serif and publisher......its a joke and no wonder the government are downgrading ICT in favour of cross curricular use of IT.

People may disagree, i dont know, but i'm of the opinion that adding value to students is the best thing to do as opposed to going for the cheap / easy option.

Thank Post
    @RTFM

I have to disagree, whilst Photoshop is the standard design package, when doing real websites, there is no Dreamweaver. A designer designs, and a coder will then code it.

It doesn't matter what the kids use to produce websites, serif, dreamweaver or notepad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    @RTFM

I have to disagree, whilst Photoshop is the standard design package, when doing real websites, there is no Dreamweaver. A designer designs, and a coder will then code it.

It doesn't matter what the kids use to produce websites, serif, dreamweaver or notepad.
    Dreamweaver is one example, but then there isnt an industry standard package for web site design other than notepad.

As you said though, Photoshop is an industry standard as is InDesign for magazine publications etc (a lot of the people we work with for publications etc all use InDesign....).

Video editing perhaps not Premiere / Encore but certainly they are closer to the level students should be working at than Serif MoviePlus :\

You wouldnt have to purchase the full Master Collection. Just CS5.5 design standard would have photoshop, indesign and illustrator......
    Last edited by RTFM; 24th January 2012 at 10:30 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast