+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Insomnia in General; I hate it. That is all. The doctors in their infinite wisdom have decided to put me on six different ...
    Thank Post

Insomnia

I hate it. That is all.

The doctors in their infinite wisdom have decided to put me on six different types of medication all of which have fairly nasty side affects. I thought I'd be happy when the vomitting stopped, but 38 hours without ANY SLEEP at all is started to cause a slight disconnect from reality.

The worst part is I stopped taking them all over 24 hours ago.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I myself havent been sleeping well recently. Not sure why though.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,482 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried zopiclone? My Dr put me on that, granted I need 100mg to get me to sleep (normal dose being 15mg) but it does the job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,793 Posts
    Sorry to hear that, Trapper - are the doctors any nearer sorting you out for good?

Thank Post
    sorry to hear that. I think the problem is un your head...have you tryed massaging? I mean proffesional massaging. One friend of mine couldnt sleep and massage helped him to relax, to feel himself alive, to....well, to feel tiredness and thus fall asleep...I am happy for him becouse he was able to avoid taking medicines.

Thank Post
    actually, i dont understand why the doctors would give you pills for this, most insomnia stems from other issues such as stress, and not being able to sleep causes more stress which in turn causes worse insomnia.

there was something on tv about it awhile back (BBC One - 10 Things You Need to Know About Sleep) but here is something to try out:

lay down on your back.
    now relax, take some deep breaths.
    tense your toe muscles(clasp your toes like your holding something) for a few seconds then release
    then tense the muscles on your legs and release
    then tense your stomach area and release
    then do the same with your hands and arms.

feeling sleepy yet?...

P.S

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical...nt_of_insomnia

Treatment of insomnia

Sleeping tablets may be prescribed for short-term use only, when the cause of insomnia has been identified as bereavement or jet lag, for example.

However, it's usually more important to address any underlying cause of the insomnia and attempt to restore a normal sleep pattern through changes in behaviour and lifestyle.

Deal with issues and anxieties which may keep you awake worrying. Make sure your bedroom is dark, cool and unstimulating Make sure your bed is comfortable and not too hot. Try to follow a set routine, going to sleep and getting up at the same time and avoiding daytime naps, and don’t work or watch TV in your bedroom. Recent research has shown that the effect of cooling on the body, and particularly the brain, such as following a bath, shower or hairwashing, can induce sleep.

You should also try avoiding stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. Getting more exercise during the day, having a warm milky drink before bed, and herbs such as valerian and camomile can also help.
    P.S.S (lol)

don’t work or watch TV in your bedroom this is VERY important, most people turn on a laptop when they cant sleep or try to read, this is the worst thing you can do, it takes you 2 hours for the brain to rest after being stimulated by a screen or book! Also doing anything other than sleeping in your bedroom can cause you to brainwash yourself that the bed isn't for sleep but TV/laptop/book, which will cause sleepless nights.

Edit

one more thing, i promise.

drinking alcohol is another thing people turn to when they cant sleep, again this is bad, alcohol will help you get to sleep but then will cause restless sleep as the night goes on, so in 8 hours you may get 4 hours good sleep and 4 hours bad, leaving you feeling tired and worse the next day.

Caffeine has the opposite affect, will prevent you from sleeping at first, so the first few hours will be restless but the last few inthe morning will be deep/good sleep, however with only 4 hours good sleep you will be tired.

normal recommendation is a limit of three cups of tea a day, with no tea allowed after 12 O'Clock (not sure what the limit is on coffee).

disclaimer: Im no doctor, most of this is what i remember from documentaries or from reading about the subject.
    Last edited by Flakes; 13th February 2012 at 01:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    What about one of these?

How it works | LightSleeper

Only thing currently putting me off is the £125 price tag otherwise I'd have one.

Ben

Thank Post
    2 things... i can suggest you become a microsoft licensing consultant, surely to god that'll put you to sleep... and also...

Insomnia-insomnia.png

I'm aware that this post of no practical help, but hopefully it'll make you smile, and keeping a sense of humour is important when things get crappy.

Thank Post
    It was a combination of several drugs, several painkillers, a sedative and a badly knackered system.

I told the GP not to give me anything for it, the last thing I needed was more chemicals in my system!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    It was a combination of several drugs, several painkillers, a sedative and a badly knackered system.

I told the GP not to give me anything for it, the last thing I needed was more chemicals in my system!
    and is it better now?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread