+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, The amount of rep per posts in General; So after seeing in another thread someone mention rep and posts, and wanting an excuse to play with excel 2010 ...
    Thank Post

The amount of rep per posts

So after seeing in another thread someone mention rep and posts, and wanting an excuse to play with excel 2010 as my skills with it are very rusty. I thought I would do a completely unscientific graph of the amount of rep per posts on this forum. I got my sample by viewing "Today's Posts" and going through 3 pages of results, looking at every thread on each page to gather usernames (so I didn't have the same user more than once), posts, rep. There was obviously more than 3 pages of results but I decided to stop there. I deleted all the usernames! And then made graphs from there. Here they are one with all 275 users in the sample, and the other with users whose posts were below 1000 (because in the main graph it is difficult to see them). I apologise in advance if this ticks people off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The amount of rep per posts-repposts.jpg   The amount of rep per posts-reppostsbelow1000posts.jpg  

2. Thanks to kernewek-sam from:

GrumbleDook (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry...I don't quite understand why you've done this.

If you take davep and mattx out of the equation as they are repped for their posts on the internet pages mainly (and rightly so, they crawl the net for some great stuff) then you're left with the bulk of users that post and are repped for technical posts or qualitative posts on discussions (no offense davep and mattx).

Also the amount of rep received is dependant on the amount the giver has. If a person like myself or synack give rep, we would dish out "14 points" of rep that is visible on the forums, where as a person with say 5 rep would barely scratch half a point if that.

The rep system itself is based on thanks also, you need to discern how much is actual rep and how much is based on thanks. Grumbledook for example has far more thanks than myself and rightly so, yet he has a lower rep count than myself.

The challenge for you I suppose would be to go through and find out the formula for used for calculating rep.

4. Thanks to nephilim from:

kernewek-sam (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    or... just a thought... forget about it and have a scotch!

6. Thanks to GREED from:

kernewek-sam (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That works too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks get a standard amount, I tend to get little neg rep (but enjoy that I do) and I prefer to get thanks rather than rep added (not both as some folk go for).

To some extent the Rep system is what it is ... but I am rather impressed with the dedication to go through and work out the spread in those graphs ... if you fancy a real challenge you might want to ask @Dos_Box and @ZeroHour if you can do some statistical work for them ... I know that the system has some stuff built in but it could be good to see things like length of membership v frequency of post, trends on posting rates depending on length of membership (e.g. is there an initial splurge and then does it tailor off, etc) ... there are lots of things which could be done if you want to flex your statistical muscles ...

And yes, I am a tad jealous of those who can manipulate Excel in über-stats mode.

9. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

CAM (20th January 2012), kernewek-sam (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Sorry...I don't quite understand why you've done this.

If you take davep and mattx out of the equation as they are repped for their posts on the internet pages mainly (and rightly so, they crawl the net for some great stuff) then you're left with the bulk of users that post and are repped for technical posts or qualitative posts on discussions (no offense davep and mattx).

Also the amount of rep received is dependant on the amount the giver has. If a person like myself or synack give rep, we would dish out "14 points" of rep that is visible on the forums, where as a person with say 5 rep would barely scratch half a point if that.

The rep system itself is based on thanks also, you need to discern how much is actual rep and how much is based on thanks. Grumbledook for example has far more thanks than myself and rightly so, yet he has a lower rep count than myself.

The challenge for you I suppose would be to go through and find out the formula for used for calculating rep.
    Purely because I could. I wasn't aware that rep is dished out like that, but thanks for pointing it out . I'll have a think about doing one based on thanks given. And as for the formula......that would be tough challenge!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Thanks get a standard amount, I tend to get little neg rep (but enjoy that I do) and I prefer to get thanks rather than rep added (not both as some folk go for).

To some extent the Rep system is what it is ... but I am rather impressed with the dedication to go through and work out the spread in those graphs ... if you fancy a real challenge you might want to ask @Dos_Box and @ZeroHour if you can do some statistical work for them ... I know that the system has some stuff built in but it could be good to see things like length of membership v frequency of post, trends on posting rates depending on length of membership (e.g. is there an initial splurge and then does it tailor off, etc) ... there are lots of things which could be done if you want to flex your statistical muscles ...

And yes, I am a tad jealous of those who can manipulate Excel in über-stats mode.
    I might just do that it could be a good little project if they are ok with that . I think I'll have a crack at doing one based on thanks given.

and have a scotch!
    I'm teetotal at the mo, so I'll have a nice orange juice!

Thank Post
    I tend to get little neg rep (but enjoy that I do)
    Sounds a bit masochistic but whatever turns you on. - repped.

13. Thanks to laserblazer from:

GrumbleDook (25th January 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread