Poll: Do you live in the same room as your servers?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do you live in the same room as your servers? in General; Thankfully, no. Space and noise would be an issue if I did. I have a chair in there and will ...
    Thank Post

Re: Do you live in the same room as your servers?

Thankfully, no. Space and noise would be an issue if I did. I have a chair in there and will usually work in there when doing updates, but the rest of the time I'm in a separate office next door.

Thank Post

I voted sometimes as my office is next to the server room but there is no door between just an arch way - need a door on it as the constant drone of 9 servers 5 ups' 6 switches variuos other bits and an aircon unit is unbareable.

@DaveP last sumer we had temps of 55+ in the server room in the end we bypassed our line manager who was being tight about bying/hiring one and went to the head and he said yep go an hire one now!

Just walk in there and turn a few of the servers off and say that they crashed due to the heat. Do it a few times a day and they will soon get the message!

Thank Post

We used to live in the same room as the servers, but we managed to get them moved downstairs. However despite having the office to ourselves we still end up going down there to work sometimes...

Thank Post

I do as well. Four servers, four reasonably large switches and between two and four workstations on at any time. This is all in a cupboard with no aircon. We're hoping to get aircon in soon because this heat is only going to get worse over the next couple of months...

Thank Post

Yes we are based in our server room currently. A room is being created for me, my techie and a couple of the ofice staff to share - I am really looking forward to no noise of fans and air con!!!

Should give us lots more room to work with too!

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts

Our server have been in their own server room for the past 3 years or so which was the old exams officers room.

There was allready air con in there but it couldn't cope and I had it changed for a larger one.

We have a seperate office upstairs in one of the ict suites for just my techie and I and our pc's etc...

Hoping to get another bigger office soon though.

Ben

Thank Post

I work in a seperate office next door thankfully, the servers are in an AC'd 'room'

I do still go and work in there sometimes though because no-one bothers me in there

Thank Post

Small room, 9 servers all in one rack, 3 desktops and a hell of a lot of junk, rubbish air-con, window is always open but im high up so its always freezing winds, my weather station says its 11C outside and 15C in here which is ok. Servers are loud and old and slow and old and rubbish and loud. Wheres that union ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,699 Posts

My server "room" is a niche behind the photocopier in the attic! It can't really be described as a room. It gets very hot up there.

Fortunately, I have a cupboard-sized office (shared with the Health & Safety manager!) on the first floor which is cooler, if somewhat cramped (Mostly due to all my "useful" things)

Thank Post

No. As its got A/C, it could be tempting in months to come, but the lack of space and noise makes it impossible.

Thank Post

I have ticked 'no' as I am sat next to a wall separating me from my servers. I could, however, climb over the wall if I so desired!!! Not sure if this counts! (Much better than my last room though).

Andy

Thank Post

Pokey 2 by 2 metre room with pitched roof, no window and crappy flourescent lamp, air-con, 6 servers, 2UPSs, one workstation, 6 monitors, 3 desks, a book cupboard filled with somebody elses books, comms cabinet with two noisy switches, 2 dead computers, 1 spare printer, boxes full of stuff that you just can't throw away... I have 10 dedicated mains outlets and I'm still running 2 4-way adaptors to power all the rubbish in here...

For the last term I had to physically climb over servers and CAT5 in order to actually sit down, I have so little space in this hole that I have to move papers off my keyboard in order to type! *grumble grumble*

The thing that really gets me is the constant whining noise coming from the UPSs and servers, I feel like give these SCSI drives a seriously good kicking...

One of these days I will have to prepare a risk assessment but I have no idea what a safe SPL is, although I'm sure that ringing noises in your ear isn't a good sign. Anybody got any info regarding noise at work? I would have thought if some of us made this a health and safety issue then management would have to take notice and do something about it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TekkyMatt
    rubbish air-con, window is always open
    Try closing the window - if you have the a/c running with an open window, it is trying to cool down the air outside. a/c works much better in a sealed room.

Thank Post

http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Uk H&S google

It says 80dB is the money winner - but please check all relevant items.. maybe Unison or similar can help here... only after arranging a proper meeting i would guess (hold the meeting in the server room )

I would say you need to find professional advice before actioning anything. I cannot be held responsible. good luck!

fooby

Thank Post

Yes but I am naughty as I use the main server as my workstation. Will change that in the summer holidays when I setup a real workstation for me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast