+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, codeacademy.com in General; Has anyone tryed out this great little site? I've introduced my little brother who just turned 16 this month and ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

codeacademy.com

Has anyone tryed out this great little site? I've introduced my little brother who just turned 16 this month and he thinks its great, not only that but its competitive with an achievement/badge system allowing him and his mates to compare their results and progress and share this to social network sites.
    I hated programming at university and I changed from computer science to computer studies in my final year as it never really 'clicked' after the first OO modules but im looking into self teaching using a friends lecture notes from that final year and a number of books I have purchased, having not touched coding for almost 2 years since graduating this website has relaly helped kickstart and remind me of the basics too, its also a great resource to show your IT teachers after Mr Goves radical change up has left many worried for their knowlage and importance and show them its not all bad and resources do exist out there which are approachable. Combined with some basic explenation behind the fundamentals which could accompany the tasks it seems great, and users are contributing to a number of different courses including a walk through of how to make a taxi fare calculating programme and

The only problem, IE is not supported but i'm yet try this chromeframe plugin.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 19th January 2012 at 10:36 AM.

2. 5 Thanks to bondbill2k2:

Hokalus (1st March 2012), kearton (4th March 2012), LiamH (29th February 2012), Miscbrah (19th January 2012), pete (29th February 2012)

Thank Post
    we are using this as part of our new 'computer science' course and i'm doing a push out of the enterprise edition chrome to 60 machines tomorrow following a successful test on a few machines over the last couple of days. The adm template leaves a bit to be desired but it'll lock down the important stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    we are using this as part of our new 'computer science' course and i'm doing a push out of the enterprise edition chrome to 60 machines tomorrow following a successful test on a few machines over the last couple of days. The adm template leaves a bit to be desired but it'll lock down the important stuff.
    I have just downloaded the msi for google chrome framework for IE and all appears to work ok! Ill test sending it out ona few later.

Thank Post
    Wow this isn't bad actually.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've only just got around to trying out this chrome msi, deployed fine and works fine on my tech account on the test computers, however logging on as a student or staff member gives the following problem
    Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; chromeframe/17.0.963.56; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0; .NET4.0E)
    Timestamp: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:12:37 UTC

Line: 1
    Char: 3015
    Code: 0
    URI: http://cdn.codecademy.com/assets/ace/ace-noconflict.js

. Our proxy shows up no issues and I'm not aware of any restrictions which should prevent the page running

Thank Post
    I used it a few weeks back when it was on the BBC website, completed the first 8 lessons, not bad at all considering I have not got massive amounts of experience with programming at all

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its real potential is a programming equivalent of mymaths with teachers being able to build up their own courses and lessons on the site and setting availabilities by users

Thank Post
    Looks good, had fun "testing" the projects to see how much i remembered.

Hopefully our pupils wont struggle too much with it, passed it on to the ICT teachers.

Thank Post
    Just about to try the Google Frame myself on classroom computers (it works on mine without any problem)

If you aren't already aware, Google Frame has an auto update feature that bypasses admin controls. Info here Google bypasses admin controls with latest Chrome IE ? The Register and the admin template is here Google Update for Enterprise

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    Just about to try the Google Frame myself on classroom computers (it works on mine without any problem)

If you aren't already aware, Google Frame has an auto update feature that bypasses admin controls. Info here Google bypasses admin controls with latest Chrome IE ? The Register and the admin template is here Google Update for Enterprise
    Must be something on our student and staff GPOs stopping the Javascript running correctly but I'm not sure what!

Thank Post
    Has anyone figured out why they don't support IE? I've looked at the Google Frame MSI and GPO settings which seems fine, albeit a bit drastic to support one website.

Not managed to find anything on their site about their plans for IE support.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dont know if they have any plans, its down to reliability and support I'd expect, the Chrome frame works fine here in IE!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Codeacademy courses now include Python:

Link 1: Python | Codecademy

Python is a powerful and expressive language that has very simple syntax. If you're unsure of which programming language to learn, then Python is a great choice. The language is used in a variety of disciplines: application, web, and game development. Python can do it all and you'll be well on your way to mastery at the end of this track. Courses are based on Python 2.7 syntax.
    Link 2: Codecademy

Tracks are series of courses grouped to help you master a topic or language.
    Tracks offered:

JavaScript Fundamentals
    Python
    Web Fundamentals
    JQuery
    Code Year

Other courses are available via the non-track content:

Link 3: Codecademy
    Last edited by DaveP; 1st August 2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Add detail to the post.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread