+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Virgin Media - Speed Double ? in General; The Press Association: Virgin sorry for broadband mix-up Looking at the above article and taking into consideration I am on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

Virgin Media - Speed Double ?

The Press Association: Virgin sorry for broadband mix-up

Looking at the above article and taking into consideration I am on VM's 50mbps package, does that mean I would end up getting 120mbps ( when they get around to doing the upgrade ) ??

Personally I don't rate VM's 'superhub' - nothing super about it....

On a side note trying to get a phone ( iPhone and a HTC ) to reliably connect to it when I get home is a PITA. It always takes a lot longer then it should for the phones to authenticate to the wireless and obtain a valid ip address and half the time our phones are always attempting to connect to BTHOMEHUB-H.

I have tried all the tweaks on the original superhub I had which is getting sent back and the new superhub we have had sent to us and they will only send me another superhub which is exactly the same ref wireless.

I've tried the below :

* On wireless settings --> Tried each speed setting ( 54mbps, 145 mbps and 300 mbps ), Tried WPA Auto and Also tried WPA-PSK2 ( which is more secure I would of thought ), Selected Auto on the channel as well as selected just channel 6 ( unless there is a better channel to use ). I know you are meant to have the channels about 5 apart from each other.

* Adjusted the DHCP timeout to 9999 or made the dhcp timeout longer

* Reset to factory defaults but then the SSID gets reset to something along the lines of 'virginmediaxxxxx' where xxxx is a random number. Which I do not want as don't want everyone knowing I am with

1. Virgin Media
    2. Knowing I have a superhub ( I have reset the default admin password ) but with how shockingly rubbish the firewall and wireless is on it may be a security thing??
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 18th January 2012 at 01:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like it yeah, same for me. 120Mbps? I think it'll be kinda pointless at the moment, as hardly anything can utilise those sort of speeds.

With 4 of us in my house, I've never had 'slowdowns' at my end, the limiting factor has always been the servers we're connecting to!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Looks like it yeah, same for me. 120Mbps? I think it'll be kinda pointless at the moment, as hardly anything can utilise those sort of speeds.

With 4 of us in my house, I've never had 'slowdowns' at my end, the limiting factor has always been the servers we're connecting to!

Are you kidding me ?? with netflix and all the other stuff were doing these days it was only yesterday I was reading that they were saying BB speeds will need to improve.

Thank Post
    Virgin media normally traffic shape or do something to slow down speeds as I find at certain times it is a lot slower then at other times.

Also Taiwan / Japan or around that side of the globe I am pretty sure they have gigabit internet connection speeds. When they rent movie's they do it online so they can literally stream HD content without waiting etc as it can manage / cope with it in real time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Are you kidding me ?? with netflix and all the other stuff were doing these days it was only yesterday I was reading that they were saying BB speeds will need to improve.
    Netflix streams at between 2.6 and 3.8Mbps using the VC1AP codec.Vudu, who do 'HD' streaming, do it between 9 and 20Mbps. So, accounting for overhead, on a 120Mbps line, I could easily have 5 of Vudu's best streams running.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Virgin media normally traffic shape or do something to slow down speeds as I find at certain times it is a lot slower then at other times.

Also Taiwan / Japan or around that side of the globe I am pretty sure they have gigabit internet connection speeds. When they rent movie's they do it online so they can literally stream HD content without waiting etc as it can manage / cope with it in real time.
    Depends which package you're on. The topmost package has no shaping/cap. The lower packages do.

Thank Post
    Netflix streams at between 2.6 and 3.8Mbps using the VC1AP codec.Vudu, who do 'HD' streaming, do it between 9 and 20Mbps. So, accounting for overhead, on a 120Mbps line, I could easily have 5 of Vudu's best streams running.

Depends which package you're on. The topmost package has no shaping/cap. The lower packages do.
    Am on the 50mbps package which at the time was the XXL one but can now get 100mbps in the area I am in so presumably I have gone down a package or something seeing as 100mbps is the fastest in my area and not 50mbps anymore or what exactly ?

I'm not subscribed to Net Flix - are they any good in comparison to others ie Lovefilm etc ?

I mean't as in actual blu ray content that hasn't been compressed in anyway using any codecs, so not like Apple have done on the iTunes store with HD movies which are a bit grainy on a 1080P telly or the likes. I presume that is what the VC1AP is ie this is what blu ray movies are encoded as when using m2ts and m2ts is just the container just like MKV / AVI etc
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 18th January 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    top 2 packages. 50mb and 100mb both don't traffic shape, as they are 'VIP' packages.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tbutcher View Post
    top 2 packages. 50mb and 100mb both don't traffic shape, as they are 'VIP' packages.
    There is no unshaped packaged How does traffic management affect me?
    All are allowed traffic management of what they deem file sharing but I have heard of the wow patcher triggering this too.

9. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

mac_shinobi (18th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Anyone got any suggestions ref the wireless, only thing I can think of is to put the super hub into modem mode and get a seperate WAP box to deal with wireless whether it is zyxel or otherwise ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    There is no unshaped packaged How does traffic management affect me?
    All are allowed traffic management of what they deem file sharing but I have heard of the wow patcher triggering this too.

Wow patcher crashes the "super hub" way before you ever trigger traffic management

12. Thanks to CHR1S from:

mac_shinobi (18th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Great soon I will have more than x10 faster download at home over my school and more upload then school .
    Why can the county not match or beat Virgin connections?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I upgraded from 10mb to 30mb with virgin last month due to their stupid 1.5Gb cap which isn't hard to hit then having several hours at around 0.3mbps limits and not being able to stream a thing -_- Cap on the 30mb connection is 10Gb which is a nice improvement and a big impovement in speed, I also had a free superhub with the upgrade, which I really dont like but its 1 less plug socket then before with my old telewest modem and router. However last month I was told by virgin my router was dropping packets after I complained about timeout issues, so I replaced it with a new linksys which is now redundant but the wireless was far better on it then this stupid VMSH and less stupid flashy lights, even the option on my linksys to disable the lights on it which I did as the connection comes in via my bedroom and the router is oposite my bed, that SH is like a f#*@ing disco ball with the lights off!

I've resulted to ducktape over the lights!

Thank Post
    Anyone got any suggestions ref the wireless, only thing I can think of is to put the super hub into modem mode and get a seperate WAP box to deal with wireless whether it is zyxel or otherwise ?
    Modem mode and 2 x http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YETVX...SIN=B002YETVXC with the optional hi-gain antenna and separate channels on the same SSID and it drowns out the many many connections in my area

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Anyone got any suggestions ref the wireless
    Wait until the 802.11ac wireless routers are released later this year?

www.techpowerup.com/158222/TrendNet-Displays-802.11ac-1300-Mbps-Wireless-Routers.html

Thank Post
    10Mb -> 20Mb
    30Mb -> 60Mb
    50Mb -> 100Mb
    100Mb -> 120Mb

Within the next 18 months

After being called out to several of my customers with "Superhubs" they are anything but super (Netgear garbage). I'm lucky i have one of their Cisco Modems.

I'd put it into modem mode and use your own wireless.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast