+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, What are you up to at work? in General; - Continuing on-going mission to never leave a computer behind, and revive some old laptops - Staring at SIMS/Solus without ...

Thank Post
    - Continuing on-going mission to never leave a computer behind, and revive some old laptops
    - Staring at SIMS/Solus without a clue what it's doing (or not doing, more to the point)
    - Setting up entire InfoSec policy for admin network as my predecessor didn't consider it at all.
    - Comparing online remote backup solutions
    - Slurping coffee, of course..

Thank Post
    As I posted in another thread etc......

No Money, No Direction, No Strategy, No Plans.......No Change There, Then.

Replacing our room-full of Bootcamped Mac Minis with Dell i5's, this on a rolling replacement plan, so no real strategy behind it.

Oh, yeah, whoopee-doo, I've been given the nod to deploy them with Windows 7.

Otherwise.....staring out the window, occasionally turning round to stare out the door, updating my Retirement Countdown on the whiteboard every day (91 weeks and 6 days), saying 'No, we can't <insert request here>' to everyone because that's my Snr Tech's preferred method of working, drinking too much coffee, wandering around desperately trying to find something meaningful to do to stave off the boredom, poking one of the receptionists on the arm with my finger because she hits me with whatever printout she has handy whenever I pass her desk, keying the two-way radio and dragging my fingernail across the mic (that goes out all over the school, that does, tee-hee), slowly going barking la-la, wishing I was somewhere else (does that count as two separate things or one?), playing with the Vmware host and VM's I created to find out how it all works (no requirement there, just for my own CPD/satisfaction), going to upgrade it to ESXi 5 but I'm saving that for a special occasion..........gosh, look.......time for another cup of coffee already.

Get the picture?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Migrating our SharePoint 2010 infrastructure over to claims-based authentication to tie in with UAG SSO, while simultaneously coming to terms with the feeling of complete impotence that results from changing to a job where I do not have domain admin rights.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Migrating our SharePoint 2010 infrastructure <snip> while simultaneously coming to terms with the feeling of complete impotence that results from changing to a job where I do not have domain admin rights.
    Sharepoint is the sort of thing I fantasise about when I have those 'I've got a Real Job' daydreams.

Feel your pain about no Admin Rights.......was that a change by choice (guess not) or imposition?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Sharepoint is the sort of thing I fantasise about when I have those 'I've got a Real Job' daydreams.

Feel your pain about no Admin Rights.......was that a change by choice (guess not) or imposition?
    Mix of the two - changing company was by choice, losing admin rights was a sad side-effect of the change. It's frustrating, since I now have to go to IT to get them to do simple things like change DNS entries.

Thank Post
    Im currently planning my new network that im hopefully going to be putting in at Easter. Currently getting quotes for switches, servers, san, whiteboards, projectors, printers, ups'. And having to consider the consequences of putting new kit in and then getting quotes for that - change cabinets as new hp switches are too deep for my current cabs , get a 3phase 90A power feed put in for new UPS. The sparky couldn't believe that the ups needed such a large supply so i printed of the apc spec sheet to prove i was asking for the right thing!

As well as in my head thinking about the new ad design.

This is on top of the day to day running of the school and being involved in cashless catering going in June (hopefully) and upgrades to the phone system.

Probably more but thats all i can think of for now!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Spending too much time in architects drawings But it will all be worth it in the end when I have the right sockets in the right places in the new classrooms As with the plans comes PDFs of new shiny kit to put in the rooms and the continuous pinging of e-mails to the SLT, staff and architects about the plans its all very political!

Oh yeh and coughing my guts up from my BETT acquired cough (and no its not from the wine!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Development, installations all over the place, new customers here and overseas, and a shed load of flying... Amazing how boring flying can get in such a short amount of time!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123