+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Need help with new Server in General; Originally Posted by witch The problem is, I am finding it very hard to compare the quotes as they aren't ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The problem is, I am finding it very hard to compare the quotes as they aren't like-for-like. I gave the companies the same requirement and they have all come up with slightly differing answers - the spec for the servers is different, the backup is different, some include backup exec, some dont etc.
    If you're supplying your requirement and it's being changed by the supplier the best thing to do is just send it back and inform them that if they don't supply you with a quote that matchs your requirement exactly they simply won't get the business. Suppliers do this sort of thing all to often and it really is up to the customer to make sure they get what they want.

I'll happily take a look at it for you as well.

2. Thanks to Snuffkins from:

Oaktech (19th January 2012)

Thank Post
    You do realize that all educational facilities get about 40% of kit from Dell
    One day I will learn to spell (off not of)

4. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

RTFM (19th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    You do realize that all educational facilities get about 40% of kit from Dell and they chuck in 5 year warranty for next to nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    think you dont get me. if you go through the Dell premier login pages you get 38% discount on some equipment including server, UPS, laptops, deskops
    apologies, i assume your first post was meant to say "40% off kit" not "40% of kit".

It then read that 40% of the schools all bought kit from Dell

Thank Post
    Why?
    It is the only server on my curriculum network so it does everything - File server, Print server, DC, data storage etc - No MIS though, no exchange either or web hosting.
    100 machines. Children log on as a class so less than 50 users - but whole sets log on together
    Well, dependant on what roles it has or will have can affect the specification.
    File server = RAID + HDD space
    MIS (SQL)= RAM
    For me I found that having hardware SATA RAID instead of a more costly alternative made very little impact on speed as we only ever get a maximum of 30 PCs logging on at any one time.
    What speed is your core network?
    Savings made in one area of your server could be spent on as others have said (NAS backup etc)

Thank Post
    Even on a small network, i would definitely consider splitting up your storage from the server onto a NAS (as i said before, it doesnt have to be anything snazzy, just functional, that Netgear NAS for under 1500 for example). With the sort of budget your talking about I'd have thought it would be possible to fit it in (mainly depends on labour costs though I suppose).

Not that i am trying to make your life any more difficult

Thank Post
    I have to agree, you can't beat Dell - we support c.30 schools and use them for everything. The build quality and service is faultless IMHO.

@witch -

Just done 2 quotes for schools, server/software/time both under 3k - for 5k you should be getting some really good kit! I liked the earlier suggestion of a decent NAS, the server is a glorified file server so doesn't need much, but storage and backup should be your priority.

Look at Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery - it just WORKS!! we had one site back up and running within 3 hours the other month!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    The problem with a spec for the server is that I don't really know what I want - only in general terms -and the three quotes seem to all match what I asked for, more-or-less!
    The NAS solution at 1500 sounds a bit expensive for me. One of my quotes does include Backup Exec so that's good, isn't it? (she whined)
    No one has quoted me for a Dell server - I did say HP as a passing comment but I would expect to be quoted for a Dell if they are that good and as cheap?
    My network has a gigabit backbone and most of the switches are gigabit, with just a couple of lower spec ones.
    I'm not getting any less confused. Someone just tell me what to do.
    Can't even attach something to a pm either - its all going wrong...

Thank Post
    The problem with a spec for the server is that I don't really know what I want - only in general terms -and the three quotes seem to all match what I asked for, more-or-less!
    The NAS solution at 1500 sounds a bit expensive for me. One of my quotes does include Backup Exec so that's good, isn't it? (she whined)
    No one has quoted me for a Dell server - I did say HP as a passing comment but I would expect to be quoted for a Dell if they are that good and as cheap?
    My network has a gigabit backbone and most of the switches are gigabit, with just a couple of lower spec ones.
    I'm not getting any less confused. Someone just tell me what to do.
    Can't even attach something to a pm either - its all going wrong...
    It's ok having backup exec but what are you backing up to? Have you got any backup procedure in place currently for your data?

Dell or HP doesnt make a difference at the end of the day, both will do a good job, its down to people personal preference i always find. We had Dell and now have HP and havent had issues with either company. It's down to value for money.

When i mentioned a NAS at 1500 thats maybe overkill, you might bring it in for 1200'ish (NETGEAR ReadyNAS 2100 2TB Advanced Rackmount NAS (4 x 500GB) (RNRX4450-100EUS) - www.misco.co.uk) a quick look on misco shows something like this for example.

edit; apologies if by mentioning a NAS i am adding to the confusion, it wasnt my intention at all.
    Last edited by RTFM; 19th January 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Come on @witch. Deep breaths... stop panicking. Time to PM those offering and ask for email addresses so you can send stuff to them .

Thank Post
    If you spec a server with a decent chunk of RAM, a good hardware raid controller and some decent drives the rest is irrelevant.
    The Westmere Tower Advanced (It can be your supplier of choice btw )
    Add a decent RAID controller and Server 2008 R2 and that would suit you down to the ground.

With the money you have left get a HP Microserver and set that up as a NAS for backups and your sorted.

Thank Post
    No company can as you have to login with the school details (password) to get the massive discounts.

Thank Post
    I would take a look at DELL, I just got a quote from them much cheaper than HP for a new server with 12 cores, 32GB RAM, 5x 2TB HD's and full ILO for less than 4k. Can put you in touch with an account manager if you like?

Thank Post
    All LA's have a set of passwords for the Dell premier sites and should have set each school up already if not you can call Dell direct and set one up for your school. They have regional education managers that only deal with schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Right - thanks to everyone, particularly the ones who slogged through looking at the quotes for me. I *think* I have a better idea now of what I want. Installation still a bit of a sticking point -but I think I can see a glimmer of light.

17. Thanks to witch from:

RTFM (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Right - thanks to everyone, particularly the ones who slogged through looking at the quotes for me. I *think* I have a better idea now of what I want. Installation still a bit of a sticking point -but I think I can see a glimmer of light.
    good to hear witch

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast